Some school in Thailand

KVL you will need to expailn the diffnences between a low density “activated Charcoal” versus a dense fuel-charcoal.
“Sponge” structured burnt-out charcoal; versus still solid cell walls charcoal.
I try to give the visualization words.
Ha! Then there is artist drawing charcoals! Willow tree wood making overlapping carbons plates. I think bamboo will make this too.
A northern California charcoal expert maker once told me there were five different grades/kinds he had demands for.
S.U.

9 Likes

Hi Steve
I did not know there were so many different types of charcoal. This would be an interesting subject to popularize

6 Likes

Hi All,
Trying to explain this in a “visible way”

Imagine the vertical pipe is filled with small chunks xxx
This xxx is either soft snow compressed in cubicles or plain ice.
Anything in between can be used in this exercise.

Now imagine a flow of air going from the bottom to the top , ascending thru the descending ice…

Picture yourself the difference between the soft snow cubicles and the full frozen ice…

If you keep the ascending flowrate at a constant volume rate, the speed however will be different (slower) with soft snow, vs faster with the hard cubicles made from ice.

the gas quality will be affected if there is no compensation with either the design of the reactor or with the airflow /gasflow.

It depends , in essence, on the surface of the carbon that can be “exposed” to the Oxygen molecules within a given time.

Where as the soft has more surface are that can be exposed within a smaller space, the hard cubicles has only the outer shell to react with the O2

( sorry for mixing up the analogy between carbon and ice at this point )

Again; picture yourself the soft snow and the hard ice…

To equalyse the effect: soft can be bigger then hard to have the same reaction speed

The key formula would be: xx amount of reacting surface area within a certain volume within a certain timeframe…

11 Likes

Hi Don,

No, they build with a small 15 mm pipe or opening, no special nozzle or not even a nozzle…

For me; as long as it works,… then why bother… :grin:

if my opinion counts: 5+4 = 9, but so is 8+1,… Some will just copy, some will learn things and some of those will become teachers and even get smarter then me… And that is my purpose… make them smart…

10 Likes

i have one of my pictures to share
results after retort charcoaling

13 Likes

Excellent theory of Development…Teach them to think for themselves and help them acquire the tools and knowledge they need …Then you can go home and they can fix their own problems.
It is actually the only sustainable, meaningful way to help anyone, anywhere.
Everything else is either just AID to keep people alive in an emergency or useless welfare systems that make more problems than they solve.

7 Likes

I want to come visit your work sometime Koen. Do you have a place for me to sleep? I don’t get to Asia very much, but I do need to go to Tasmania and New Zealand one of these days. I could maybe stop off in your neck of the woods on the way. And who knows, Maybe I’ll stop in Slovenia on the way too. Then, if I can find the airplane after some time with Kristijan, I might make it to your place.

Now, just need to win the lottery. I’m off to Georgia to get a ticket. :grinning::grin::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

There is always a bed and meals here available Billy. Feel welcome any time

6 Likes

Billy, you do that! My wife will help you find your plane back :smile:

However bare in mind, l belive Koen apreciates a drop of quality allso so you might need to arrange things with his wife allso to find your plane back :smile:

5 Likes

I do not know what to think anymore . I thought that the baked coal at 500 - 600 c was ideal but now I’m not sure. Hard coal offers less oxygen surface and therefore reacts slower?
The main advantage of charcoal baked at 500-600c is its ignition speed?

Thierry :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Hi Thierry,

Nooooo,…, the density has only to do with the amount of pores inside/surface of the charcoal…

If you look at the picture i posted you see the structure changes , ( the sponge gets more open pores hence more surface can contact with oxygen)
The more pores you have = equals airbubbles in concretefoam = less dense ( less weight per volume)

I would type this in French to explain this better, but so sad, its not my native language either…

Lets have it as a joke; i rather have 1 kg snowflakes falling on my head then 1kg lump of solid ice…
Both are frozen water, both have 1 kg of weight…

10 Likes

A handful of Activated charcoal has more surface area than a football field , but our charcoal will not have as much unless it is chemically activated , or maybe quenching it in water while still glowing red hot will help to explode the charcoal open and make it more porous , is what i have always been told , my charcoal that comes from my slow burning combustion fire is always very light and not dense at all compared to my indirect retort that makes the glassy sounding type of charcoal .
Dave

9 Likes

they keep popping up everywhere…

People from the government and ministry of energy are giving classes and helping rural area’s

18 Likes
4 Likes

today 2

13 Likes

Just look at what you two have started, just amazing. One person, and than two can make a difference. Here is proof of this. Great a job Koen.
Bob

8 Likes
5 Likes

this monk is going above and beyond… my hero…

9 Likes

Good morning to you Koen .

Thanks much for the video :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Koen,

I can’t understand the language but there is one word that he says a lot that sounds like “hap” or “hop” . Do you know what that word means?
Looks like you taught them well.

4 Likes