Tata pickup waiting for charcoal

Thanks for the ride Koen. Was that on charcoal or petrol? Hard to tell because it ran so good. You sure have a lot of fences and walls around property over there on the second video!

1 Like

Hi Don,

No petrol on board… startup on CNG with autoignition, switchover in less then 2 minutes ( cold state) to Charcoal and in less then 20 seconds when warm.

Engine run’s great and compared with CNG it feels equal.
Still tweeking around with the mapping, but getting at the point that it does not need improvement…

I sized nozzle and performance of the gasifier to the average energy consumption for the Tata , not for max HP, so i need to adjust my driving. ( Actually i adjusted the gasifier to my driving style :grin: )
Torque in lower RPM could be better but it runs great…
I can adjust the ECU settings “on the fly” with the Tablet left side ( not really on the fly but you get the point )

Edit: being this a testing unit… i start every drive / day with a cleaned gasifier…/ fresh charcoal…

2 Likes

uploading some clips from my phone to, shaking but more detail of the dashboard…

one more actioncam…

5 Likes

Looking good Koen! I don’t see you fiddling with controls or checking gauges. Do you monitor temp or vacuum on the gasifier?

Like Don said, you hardly would know it’s on charcoal gas!

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
1: Automatic air-gas mix valve, base adjusted, AFR compensated
2: No temperature controls / vacuum-gauges yet
ECU retuned and remapped
Auto CNG reduction with AFR, adjustable in programming 0% to 100% in both directions
Knock sensor adjusted ignition mapping
and the high CFR…
also slightly modified cam timing / cam lift

On video it looks “perfect” but its still tuning tuning tuning… ( lovin it )
You’l need to come over and “feel” it, but then you probably would build a charcoal set when you return ? :grin:

I am pretty sure that when i try a WK in USA i would start building one here…

3 Likes

Good morning Koen.

Thanks very much for the videos :relaxed: I enjoyed watching but I would probably kill myself driving on the wrong side of the road …

The little truck does great!!

2 Likes
4 Likes

No no Wayne he is driving on the correct side of the road ! :grin:

Nice one Koen , looks and sounds pretty good , do you have any pictures of your nozzle set up and what size nozzle did you go with .

Dave

2 clips showing the dashboard

1 Like

Hi Wayne,

Yeah, wrong side of the road… still wearing the collar from last time :grin:

It does look little, but the bed is 8ft long 6 ft wide…

compared with the TukTuk daihatsu, its huge :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Dave,

Still using the similar nozzle setup ( horizontal with elbow pointing up nozzle tip )

Sizing at this moment 32 mm

Still trying to find time to do / to test many modifications

Will post pictures soon…

2 Likes