The "What followed me home" thread

I got good advice from my dad as well. For some reason I keep forgetting he was black.

6 Likes

i gess i am one too- though i have never hand seated the valves - i think i had valves done on my one 355 street stock race car-tripple angle valve job- used to have an old valve grind machine-small one.Never had time to fiddle with it.- most the motors i rebuilt had working valves and seats. Few more years not handing high interest loan payments out, or high priced shinned up used car lot vehicles. Thanks to my dad getting out in the shop working on vehicles- got me started. i went to lincoln tech auto school in 1977 -graduated from high school in january- Then headed strait to lincoln tech- january 1977.I gess that was 46 years ago.

6 Likes

Chickens are relatively easy (except for store-bought feed). Cows are big enough to pick you up kinda by accident (not guessing here). If they put you down gently, you’re good. Dairy goats work well, but you may have to select for mild milk.

4 Likes

Tell your wife she needs to get her old goat, some dairy goats. Then you can sell goat cheese to all the wino’s that drive by. But call it chèvre so they will pay a premium for it. :slight_smile:

I am not implying you still won’t drive 100 miles a month. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Our Geo…we are slowly accumulating batteries for it. We have 60v worth, with 36v ordered yesterday, 36v ordered today and 36v to be ordered tomorrow. 144v for the car and some extra ones for the golf carts.

10 Likes

How much will the electric conversion weigh vs the standard engine trans and fuel tank?

3 Likes

I think it weighs less…the motor is much smaller, no radiator, alternator, fuel tank. It was the 900 lbs of lead acid batteries that killed this fella. These lithium Iron phosphate batteries are considerably lighter.

Apparently, there are a lot of these electric Geos out your way.
This is an old conversion. W/ LA batteries it had a 15 mile range. Supposedly, with LiFePo, it will be 60miles. I don’t know.
If I don’t like it, I will pull the motor and controller and put it in the tractor. I could use the tractor more than the car…but hey, this came right, to us, so I will try it first.

15 Likes

I would take one with a 60m range. 15 would be about perfect range for my kid. school and back, and maybe out to lunch… and not enough range to make it to the mall and back. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A little charcoal gas and a gas generator charging the batteries it would go alot farther.

2 Likes

Well I had a new toy follow me home from south Alabama. this one was only about 180 miles from home.

17 Likes

17 Likes

Nice size bucket tractor- you must have felt lucky making it home without any brake downs-0 did you have to take a lot of back roads- I wounder what that trailer and tractor weigh- is there electric brakes on the trailer.Looks like you used a 3500 truck, i gess that is border line on that tow job-??.

3 Likes

It was nice to have a shorter trip. the trailer did have breaks. yes it was a 3500 but with the gooseneck it handled it very well.

2 Likes

OK thanks jakob- i never used a goosneck trailer- though i am sure they are a must for heavier loads- to keep the hitch weight more central.

4 Likes

gooseneck trailers make it much easier to pull heavy loads with smaller vehicles.

10 Likes

Judging by the rate you are upgrading the size of your toys, I suspect you won’t have a gooseneck trailer for long. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m awaiting the day he posts a stray Kenworth he adopted.

6 Likes

I picked this up thinking it was a gallon of oil for 7.99…it seemed small for a gallon. When I picked it up it was empty…then I read the label thoroughly…
It’s a flash light.
She need to spend seven more dollars to get the half off coupon…so it got put in the cart.

9 Likes

Well these did not really follow me as such, more like homing pigeons finding there way to there new home ,

To say i am pleased is a understatement, us old men will now have something to play with on Sunday’s when we open up the shed .
Spoke to Andrew a few mins ago to ask a few questions and i have to say i am in shock when he told me only 1 of these units has been run , and the other 2 they did not get round to commissioning so 2 brand new unused machines for us to get to grips with oh the shock was when he told me how much he paid for these without going into too much detail its over 200 grand AU Santa came early this year for sure .
Happy Christmas Dave

19 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:Sometimes you are lucky! Until next sunday for a big show off?

7 Likes