The "What followed me home" thread

Congratulations on the nice catch Kristijan :grinning:

9 Likes

What Wayne said plus plus, closes truck too that around here is a vw, They tend too pedle more gas haugs on us here in the states in the past anyway.Cool looking mini truck, you could run that one on wood or char gas.

4 Likes

Kristijan!
Once again, congratulations!
I didn’t recognize your pickup as a Skoda. I think because they didn’t get here until 95-96 or so and the body was slightly changed by then. Also they only came with mpfi or diesel. On gasoline there were two options. Either a 1.6 VW 74hp engine, but also the old Czech 1.3 pushrodder which was scared to produce 69 HP with mpfi.
Ha, I bet the woodgas bug keeps you awake at night, now that you have a platform to work with. I very much look forward to see another Slovenian build.
Are you planning to try keep the posibility to run gasoline or will this be a 100% woodgas vehicle?

5 Likes

Yep, this is the 1.3 pushroder that squeezes out a few more hamsters with mpfi but does 57hp carbed :wink: power seems similar to my 1.0 Seat, wich did run good on chargas and wuld run a lot better with the experiances l aquired since then.

Ha, what keeps me awake at night lately is kids and butt pain. Literaly :wink: l was issued to be the front weight on a small tractor used to power a winch, tractor went up, l went down, we met, tractor has a bump on the bumper and l have a pain in the ass…
In adition l sawed a nice cut with a chainsaw over my knee last week. Tendons are still whole. Luckly its the first ever chainsaw accident l had. Still, time to buy some safety pants…

Gasoline for sure. Woodgas will more or less be a cruise fuel. I plan to work this car and in the hills the 57hp engine just wuldnt make sence on 100% wg.
How l will pipe it, thats a nother question. The double flap system works great, but is complicated. For now l will try and filter the gas free of soot, then pipe teugh the carb. Valve on fuel line. Unfortunaly this intake manifold is water heated so drilling it for a nother port wuld be hard.

12 Likes

I will follow you with great interest.:grinning:

9 Likes

Ha, safety pants can be a pain in the butt too. They may be good for safety but you won’t get much work done wearing them. Too hot. I was gifted a couple 20 years ago. I tried them on once. Sorry about the cut. And butt :smile:

7 Likes

I try to use protective boots and trousers as much as possible in the woods, far too easy to hurt. Rather warm than without legs and feet.

6 Likes

chainsaw really scares me. Really deep cuts can happen. Brrr

4 Likes

I wonder if there are different types of pants, the neighbor also complained that his was warm.
Mine is the only protection on the front the back is very thin, like regular summer clothes.

2 Likes

A knife cut divides the tissue . A chainsaw cut removes the tissue . :frowning_face::frowning_face:

8 Likes

I’m sure there are, but I haven’t looked into it much.

Safety is a philosophical question. Life is a dangerous activity. If I really wanted to stay safe I would first of all try stay outof traffic as much as possible and not do any unnecessary driving. That would even cut down on chainsaw time. I would try lose some weight, stop using tobacco and alcohol and so on. Risk vs fun or quality of life has to be up to each and everyone for them selfs.
I’ve been using chainsaws more than most people for 40+ years. Never hurt myself. Never used any protection. I do not recomend anyone to do the same, but to me personally it’s worth the risk only because I hate so much getting dressed and undressed for each and every activity during the day.

5 Likes

I caught my hand with a skill saw a few years back. I know how it hurts. Be careful.

2 Likes

Wayne, unfortunaly that is the case. However a sharp chainsaw will remove the skin cleanly, a dull one will make a masacer. I was lucky to have a sharp and clean chain. Keep your tools sharp guys!

I agree with JO. The only protection l use is ear pluggs when sawing with a circular saw or a big batch of steel with a angle grinder. Personal protection can do more harm thain good. Safety jacked sleeve pulled a coworkers hand in a machine a few years back. Then there was a logger with full ear protection, didnt hear a tree falling on him. Or when l wore gloves and the slippery rubber slid a sample pot out off my hand, on the ground and splashed in my eye. Just to name a few. Protecting gear can only be usefull untill you start relying on it.

7 Likes

I could say much the same thing I guess. My late uncle always said safety has more to do with practice than equipment. You can have all the safety equipment and hurt yourself just as bad or worse by being reckless.
When it comes to chainsaws he drove it in my head to hit the chain break before moving my feet. As a result I never or almost never find myself walking with a running chain. In all the years I have sawed wood I have never had an accident. That said I was the one in the engineering department who would argue for guarding and safety standards on industrial equipment because depending on operators to be proactive with safe behavior is asking for trouble.

6 Likes

I like eye protection, not much more important than vision, or more immediately distracting than a poke in the eye. Especially around chainsaws, too many branches to whip back in the face when clearing brush around trees. Grinders seem to have a way to throw sparks up into safety glasses, I wouldn’t want to face that directly. Polycarbonate is cheap.

6 Likes

Ya I also grab a full face shield when I pick up a grinder. I was in the mindset that sunglasses was enough until I took some sparks under them and burned my eyelid pretty bad it itched for about 2 weeks noting in my eye but that skin around it was too sensitive to repeat that one for me.

3 Likes

I used to too, but found l had more accidents or near accidents wearing eye protection. It restricts too much vision. Talking angle grinder, l never have my head in the tangente of the wheel, if that makes sence. No serious particle can ever fly in the eye that way.

2 Likes

that is the correct way Kristijan! KISS! I teached myself to use the grinder with my left hand. It is never possible to get something in your eye. Never use glasses with a grinder. If you cut with your right hand, sparks fly under the glasses. Whenever someone new starts here that is the first rule. (off course I have to tell him to wear glasses too). Another thing, you breath less gasses too. No good, if it can cut metal, it hurts your lungs.

3 Likes

Specialy the dust from the disk, probably allmost as harmfull as asbesthos with all the fibres.

3 Likes

Yes, probably. Did some welding and grinding yesterday, no sleep last night and no air today. Bah. After 25 years I am quite allergic for that dirt.

2 Likes