Thrive Off Grid

I will start with just the one and see how that goes first even at a 30 min run time it will then give me a chance to come to terms with running a downdraft , as all my updrafts over the years have worked very well with little to no messing , and nearly all running problems were caused by me messing around .

Thanks for the help Matt appreciate it .
Dave

6 Likes

Hi Matt,

On a similar vein I am interested in the shavings filled ammo box filter. You state that it is awesome at scrubbing tar and easier to build and higher capacity than your pancake filters. Are you willing to part with the dimensions and port locations for that? I am trying to build an updraft char gasifier as a start to the wood journey.

Buzz

3 Likes

The Pancake filters were not practical. You had to change out the diaphragms every two or three runs and those have to be hand made out of bought materials. They were phased out because the ammo box filter with the saw dust are far easier and those things packed with saw dust are far better than the flimsy diaphragms

For the ammo box there really is not plan. You punch a hole in one end and one in the other and install pipe flange fittings that you buy from the hardware store. I dont have an exact plan as it is not relevant. As long as the gas flows from one side to the other through what ever media you put in there thats all that matters. .

9 Likes

Perfect, thanks. Do you use fine bandsaw sawdust or chainsaw sawdust or chainsaw shavings as the filter media or a combination of? What breathes the best.

2 Likes

The idea is to use what is available to you. Any saw dust will work. The finer the better it will filter but less breathable. The coarse the less it will filter but better flow. Any dust will get the char dust out. If you are worried about tar the go to the finer dust. To find out what works is to simply try it.

7 Likes

Hi Darrel, I snapped some pics of the latest ammo box filter build. Note the top out let is the exhaust and I have a tee fitting there. This is to run two generators with the air mixer valve Pre Tee fitting.

20220324_162915
20220324_162926
20220324_162951
20220324_163000

8 Likes

Is there a screen at the bottom intake or is it open so it can not clog up with unfiltered gases?
Bob

2 Likes

Correct if you put a screen there it will just get crudded up. Put a layer of hay or something there, then a layer of finer media and then a layer of coarse at the top.

2 Likes

I need to get some more of these tall ammo cans. They’re just way too handy for filter boxes.

2 Likes

And I just did!

One of the tallboy 120mm cans, going to see how well it can work for the Sierra. I’d like to still have room to at least see directly behind me in the rearview mirror so this slim profile will help with that.
32.5" x 11.75" x 6.5"h

Roughly 10 gallons capacity.

I can recycle the Mazda’s ammo can filter box for the Cavalier.

2 Likes

Perfectly clear. Thanks Matt. I have to get cracking and build your char maker. And then probably a Bobmac updraft to get experimenting. I have a few small one and two cylinder motors to try out. My brother is the welder but I need to get up to speed so I don’t have to depend on him. Have done a bit but nothing challenging.

Buzz

2 Likes

Darrel you could build a copy of Matt’s ammo can gasifier without much welding. He used floor flanges to attach the gas in and out. Just use his updated method of his nozzle build that he’s shown here and you’d be golden.

That 120mm can I just linked would be great too, it’s the tallest one I saw that isn’t double ended.

1 Like

Hi Darrell, I do not have a up draft charcoal build. I have only built a cross diagonal and a double flute charcoal gasifer. Both worked fine but I am going to try to use the double flute to run my 2.5 L engine if it can in my Subaru outback 1996.
Bob

2 Likes

I am watching you and Matt and Marcus like a hawk but you guys are evolving and experimenting faster than I can make a plan. Ha ha.

4 Likes

I know rite? I cant keep up with myself!!

5 Likes

You forgot to mention Cody it seems he got more projects going then all of us. Except Matt. He is top on the list for sure. Lol
Bob

3 Likes

Ongoing projects maybe. FINISHED projects? That’s Matt.

2 Likes

If you guys only knew. lol. Yeah as far as the gasifiers go, Im pretty much done with their development. This will be the first time Im calling them good enough they meet criteria.

Next is to shift development over the gasifier / gasometer system, a chunking machine that is belt drive off the front fly wheel of most generators and then two level of controls options. One is basic with focus on just the electronic AFR mixer. This maybe desired for those who run raw wood. Then the level two controller that will have AGS systems for autonomous battery charging. Oh and there is a DIY stupid simple exhaust fuel dryer coming that Ill probably work on in the week or even this weekend. Once all this is developed, I will slow way down and will focus much more on growing the company and taking it to the next level as all these products will have finally reached full development and will be a complete solution that is viable in real world application’s.

5 Likes

Have you seen the big holy baskets that come with turkey fryers? I think the idea of something like that inside a metal can would make a decent fuel dryer. Has batch capability without needing to upset the whole drying apparatus itself.

1 Like

Thanks Bob. Yes I was including Cody but you posted before I hit send. I have been reading so much it is difficult to say who did what. The updraft build I was thinking of was the two small propane tanks stacked with the 8 inch or so pipe between to feed fuel to the lower. I was thinking of the flute nozzle as I have some heavy wall copper pipe and use Matt’s water injection nozzle on the intake. Same as a lot of you guys, take a bit of this and a bit of that and mix it all together.

2 Likes