Thrive Off Grid

Guys, it’s not binary…:slightly_smiling_face: If I ever need to define the word “passion” for anyone, I will send them to this thread…

2 Likes

Looking like top quallity fab work, AS Allways.glad you found too mounky, i got a leak ander my truck by the drain tank and the tank stays empty till fixed, made it home from scrap yard, then today found my screen on my air filter pluged with silt, think i will get back toohay filters and try your mini series cylones next, after my two hay filters in front of both front tires, once i move the battery tray. thanks for your resourse info.

3 Likes

As we have said before, @Chris needs to add a “Like 10X” button! :grinning:

5 Likes

So here is the very first 2018 Utility with all updates. This has the revised hearth section with the air preheat chamber brought back and then a removable damper control for lighting.

Also a the new HD rocket stove, I over hauled last years version made it modular and added an air difuser and grate system that can be actuated. 027028029

10 Likes

I like your work man.
Im working on a CHP system my self and you have many great design ideas.

2 Likes

Matt, you do really good work! Super clean looking man! Good job! I’m new to this but gonna start my build soon.

1 Like

So yeah turns out I am alive!! Haha

Yeah been crazy busy moving and trying to keep up on manufacturing, while juggling a shoe string budget to make it all happen. Things are finally slowing down a bit, but we still have tons to do to get the shop organized yet. Inventory is a mess and it all has to be sorted through. Starting to make way on builds, we will be shipping three machines plus some small stuff here next week. This will be the first time we have shipped anything in months.

Had a string of bad luck this January while trying to get all this done nothing was on my side. Started out with that bad flu, next clutch went out in my truck no place to do it shop was full so out in the snow in this miserable winter we have here in Mi. I no sooner get that fixed and the spun a bearing. Then my dog got loose and was up by the road, so I grab a hold of her by the collar to redirect her back up to the house. She was a bit excited and began spinning around until she broke one of my fingers and dislocated one other. Snap!!! lol

Life goes on, Im now starting work on continuing new development from earlier; this has evolved a bit after a lot of observation of the current stove.

I think ive figured out a way to build the stove so it is dual mode. This reactor will also be able to fill other products. The new development now will be to develop a pellet fuel gasifier that is the equivalent of the current chip machines. This way we can carry over a lot what is already developed, so we are only re inventing part of the wheel. :slight_smile:

So this first version will be in indoor unit and will work in two modes; a heating mode where we introduce air for combustion immediately at the grate. Then a Engine run mode where we cut this air supply off and save the gas for engine combustion. This will be a flare less unit and all other variants will also have this feature. Basically at first light up it will smoke just like you typical gasifier until the grate gases ignite and thats it. You wont see anything the smoke will be gone and you will know its ready. This indoor unit will only be the reactor portion and the gas cooler for heat exchange. There will then be an out door processing unit that the condensate will drain into and this will have an additional cooler and filtering for engine running. When in heat mode the gas will bypass most the filtering and a blower will be used to induce an artificial draft out top of this unit.

Cost and ease of manufacturing is also a big focus. this will be a very advanced unit but at the same time simpler and more cost effective to manufacture.

New rocket stove I am also working on, I have a guy that is going to aid in getting this in front of investors to enter into mass retail.

New Hearth / Combustion Chambers will be jet less. They will have a simpler air ring / air difuser set up. This will simplify manufacturing and save a lot of time and cost. It also opens up a lot of possibilities I can change architecture and tune with out need of completely remaking the hearth pieces. This is two Stage gasification process with optional third stage gas combustion. .

This is the guts this will have an outer enclosure much like the Evolution machines have to really polish it up.

7 Likes

Nice precision machines there matt, glad too here your still kicking, my brother got the flue and my acrost the street neyber got it and said it is the worst flue in many years too get.I got the energy crash but not the toltal imune systom crash, Glad too here you made it out of the main flue crash.

1 Like

Yeah Kevin, Jan 2018 has been pretty miserable :frowning: But I made it crossing fingers the rest of the year will go much better

Parts didnt show up today to finish debugging the control box for the next gen Evolution we building. So back to stove development. :slight_smile: Shucks!!

So the criteria for the stove is to make it multi purpose and fit a range of applications. So here is an add on that allow cooking ability while in a heating mode set up vs the standard its one or the other. This also adds a hot water heater and heat reclaim.

Looking good matt, i thought about making an outside water heater for sommer time too ease on the light bill. With that one i could cook while makeing the water hot water for the camping mode stove. Is that going too be made air control for engine grade fuel allso.

Yeah that would awesome if we could pull that off. But on this stove I dont think it will be possible.

Come over to the dark side… :smile:

Charcoal consumption rates will be very modest.

2 Likes

@don_mannes, I really would like to know how this was made. I think I could use something like this to finish the syrup.

2 Likes

I took a 30 lb propane cylinder and cut in a 1/2 inch nozzle pipe with a ceramic welding shield at the bottom. A 12 volt computer fan fitted in the end of a fiber coffee can provides the air thru the nozzle. I then cut the bottom off an old pressure cooker and used that as the sealed filler lid. I replaced the jiggiler weight at the top with a burner assembly from a gas water heater.
I used my fine 1/8th inch charcoal screenings for fuel.
NOTE:it looks hotter than it really is.

6 Likes

Bill , it looks like a simple fire charcoal gasifier with a computer blower fan forcing air in the nozzle and gas out the top lid hole into a gas defuser that comes off of a gas stove. Propane tank with part of a pressure cooker pot and lid. There might be some kind of filter material in the pressure cooker part that is removed when filling with charcoal. You can control the heat by the blower speed. I like it. Got to build one now for myself. One more project to make. You gota love it.
Bob

3 Likes

What is the benefit of making charcoal… to make gas… to make cooking flame
vs. simply gasifying the original wood in a rocket stove to cook or heat water on? Do you guys see one?
I can think of

1. cleanliness—maybe a little bit.
  2. just kinda cool to get to build more tech.
    3 Blue flames are prettier than orange ones.
    4…?
3 Likes
  1. Gives us old farts something different to do
    5?
10 Likes
  1. I think a important thing is CO cleaner burn and less heat then a rocket stove. But if you need the heat then a rocket stove is the way to go, especially if you are cooking in a outside kitchen in colder weather. Also a hot water pipe wrap for a hot water tank would work better on the exhaust flume.
    I’m keeping a Eye on what @Matt is building up right now, looks very promising indeed.
    Bob
3 Likes

Easier lighting and extinguishing better control cleaner burn; more for simmering not high volume boiling… just thoughts. I want to build one for finishing syrup as well.

5 Likes

Hello David.
Almost OT, but, do you make maple syrup currently?
We used to make a little---- about 50 gallons of syrup a year. The old timers once told us:
“It’s the FLAMES that boil the sap, not the coals.” They were right.
I don’t think you ever want to “simmer” sap or syrup. The longer it is in the pan, the darker it gets.

Pete Stanaitis

3 Likes