Thrive Off Grid

It did ok but I didnt have enough char built up to start with. So need to run with out it and build up some char and retest.

I did run with that valve open about 1/4" and after 6 hours there was a few drops of thick tar. This is less than what its normally been doing this week. In 6 to 8 hours I generally see about a table spoon or slightly more drop from the gas mixer canister.

More to come, I hope this works cause I dont know what to do with all this char this thing creates. Id rather it just consume it all or build a char coal unit to get rid of it.

1 Like

I’ve been following your work for a long time , curious…

2 Likes

Ok well this does work, but Im going to have to stop with the experiment for now. The ash bin is getting too hot for the grate shaker to handle. These Jeep wiper motors have been pretty tough for this application but there are some plastic internal gears. They can handle quite a bit but when the paint is turning white this telling me its getting nearly twice the temp as it normally does.

So this is definitely something I want to continue to pursue :fire: .

1 Like

Running a new experiment. I already knew this little gasifier could run this larger machine, but wanted to see what would happen with running the gas through the better filtering system with liquid gas cooling.

I can say this, the machine is running much better with this little tiny gasifier vs the Evolution Chip Fuel Reactor. I will most likely be dropping all chip machines in the future and phase them out. When we have the pellet fuel processor, the user will be able to convert chips to pellets with a 100% yield while eliminating the screaming and drying process as this is all done the pelleting process. The cost for the pellet machines in the turnkey systems will include this processor and will be the same cost as the chip version.

5 Likes

Wow, so run time is pretty much the same as the 8750. Why that is I dont know!! .

Also I checked the gas exit temps before swapping it from the 8750 and they were around 400 to 450 F. On this machine its actually running a little colder around 350 to 400.

It is so smooth too, I would much rather listen to this thing run all day than that 8750.

Video coming soon :fire:

5 Likes

Here is video of the Flex Mini running the Evolution.

Before I concluded the day had roughly 2 1/2 hours total run time. Plenty of time to drop some moisture some where in the system right? Nope not one drop fell out anywhere. No tar was present either. So even with plenty of cooling the gas still does not drop any water. This machine has a liquid cooled gas chiller and gas temps are cut right down to ambient. Unfortunately this maybe the last liquid cooled gas chiller. At least for now. This is a bit expensive and a lot to do and we need to cut both time and cost down. I may bring it back later on once we get this new design ironed out. I do like how well it works it knocks the heat right out of the gas.

Anyways check out the vid, The video is rough and shaky so my apologies. But still cool to see this little guy run this machine the way it did. Wish I could afford one for myself; It sounds awesome!!

6 Likes

I love it! Seems like you are approaching a very marketable machine soon.

2 Likes

Next generation Power Systems coming together. I have now completed all proofs of manufacturing concepts of the major design changes that are drastically different. Even now still building entirely by hand this design is already a major time saver, Ive cut out weeks worth of work just on this enclosure super structure.

Other news is the Flex Reactor that I had at Argos up and running is now on its way to MIT for analysis. Cant wait to get the data back on that one.

Since this gasifier is now gone, Im with out one. So I experimented with the saw dust unit and converted its grate to a pellet fuel version. Surprisingly it ran the 8750. However it was short lived and it crashed, Im assuming fuel could not keep up flows. Automation may fix that or may need to tune the restrictions, they maybe to tight. This little unit maybe the next generation unit.

12 Likes

So been pretty busy here over the summer. Ive taken on a job to sustain things for a bit while I re organize the company and begin commercialization. While in this transitional stage, I have pulled all products off the market temporarily, we will take deposits for the 2019 models in the meantime. I am currently wrapping up 2018 orders and then will launch new manufacturing development for the 2019 models. This will entail full integrated manufacturing processes and everything will be fixture built. Never again will we ever build by hand. This help drive our cost down while having a big impact on manufacturing speed and quality.

The remaining orders I have will be pre production Flex Solo Gasifier plants. These will aid in the later manufacturing development.

My building is finally about ready for move in and hopefully this will be the last I have to move for a long long time. Im in a good place now, and cant wait to get into our new shop.

If all goes well I will build a miniature version of the Flex Power System for demo. This is also planned for next generation product line, along with the pellet fuel processor. I should begin work on that January “ish” LOL.

For now here is a teaser of the new logo and marketing. There is much more to tell, and we will have a big announcement coming out here soon.:fire:

18 Likes

Very nice Matt! Glad to see that you are continuing your efforts to commercialize woodgas.

6 Likes

keep at it Matt. Looking good. Hope all goes well for you.

7 Likes

First Pre Production Power System coming to life.

I had to build a massive hand break to make those corners of the upper section.

15 Likes

Looking good there matt, Rome wasent built in a day, you make it look like it could have been, the jig setup hopefully will help on the quallity and production speed for shore. you could keep that side job and lone me some cash,:sheep:

4 Likes

Matt,

I agree, you must be one of the hardest working people I know and… moved your entire operation at least 3 times that I know of. Smart, nimble, flexible, persistent, determined and devoted to the cause, not much more you can say…

Bryan

7 Likes

Matt, great job you are doing in the world of gasification. I consider you one of the leaders in this field. Especially the automation and monitoring part of gasification. Your gasifier design is on the cutting edge, for everyone.
Keep us posted.
Bob

6 Likes

Ill just leave this here :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Here is some experimentation I did today. This is a pure H flare, note how orange it is and its characteristics. A hydrogen flare has sort of a blurred or fluffy looking characteristic. So watch for this when flaring your machines.

9 Likes

Hi Matt,
Nice orange H2 flame.
What is the apparatus in the second picture?
Got me stumped!
Pepe

2 Likes

That is a Hydrogen generator proto type (not an HHO device). Its part of a much broader part of development and can be configured in different formats.

We will be working on, using this technology for lighting the machine vs using a glow plugs,

Supplying our engines with a shot of H prior to wood gas run. This will be for automated system start ups.

A different configuration it will work in reverse using a carbon based catalyst membrane. We could possibly input our product wood gas into this cell and produce DC voltage and eliminate the ICE in the future. Byproduct of this system will be clean water and heat.

Configuring this with nickle and a dissimilar metal (cathode / anode elements) and a graphine based Catalyst membrane could potentially turn this into a high density battery storage devise.

Lastly; is using this on a small proto type to supply 100% combustion process much like plasma gasification; to eliminate nitrogen input into the processes.

Ill be lucky is we succeed in any of these technologies :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That is pretty smart. :slight_smile:

4 Likes