Thrive Off Grid

Well moving along here. Been running the Flex Mini here for a few weeks, ran into an issue, it started clogging up on me. Chased my tail around trying to figure out what was going on, so I decided to put a cross up inside the reduction that is welded to the grate. The only thing I could think of causing this was accumulation along the walls inside the reduction. Well I tore apart and found the actuator arm that rotates the grate was loose. So that was most likely the issue, but since I was already going to do this I and its a proto why not experiment with inserting the cross in there. So far so good, but not enough time with it to make any conclusion of whether or not its doing anything. Im working on a new mixer controller for it, that just uses an O2 sensor with out the use of any kit for the 5 volt conversion. Hope to have this up in action by end of day tomorrow.

So with this revelation of how this works, I am now working on another very small prototype for sawdust. This has a unique grate and jet planes are omitted and this one has stacked plates that are chambered to create jets and are angled. The air intake should swirl inside the void of the lower hearth bowl before contacting the fuel. The grate is a series of stacked rings each step up the ring gets smaller. This one is tiny so there is only three grate rings.

I started work on the new Evolution Mini, Im hopping to get this one complete to take along to argos along with the “Dustifier” and the Flex Mini prototype. The ovel construction method worked out well and was easier than anticipated. The crab steering turned out very well and is also simpler than the old version. This new machine is going to be much more compact and a better machine over all then the Utility predecessor. :fire:

7 Likes

I am looking forward very much to Argos this year. Looks like it will be well worth the effort to drive out!

4 Likes

Robin,

Any chance that I will get to see you on your way to or from Argos?

Hi Bruce,
There might be a chance on the way back, the following Monday, if you aren’t at work when we pass by. We would love to visit and see what you’ve been up to these last few years!

Well the agitator cross is a no go. It melted in half!! haha. Interesting it goes from melting metal down to 450*f gas exit temps in this short of distance.

Here is progress on the Evolution Mini. I think I have all I need on order to get this complete and ready to go for Argos. The saw dust machine didnt quite work but was fun to experiment. I may make a few changes to run on pellets and bring along for fun as its a tiny little machine.

3 Likes

Have you tried ceramic blanket inside the fire tube yet. I am moveing my heat recovery too after the ceramic blanket, too hopefully retain more heat in the reaction zone, bringing hot recovery heat back too the hot blanket.??? BBB.SWEM.

Yes, since this new version, we are not flowing the gas up the outer jacket that surrounds the reduction core, this chamber is now void and filled with ceramic. Also since the cyclone is eliminated there is no longer an exit port coming off the gasiifer. So as you see there the SS jacket can now extend down to the collection tank. There is also a void between this jacket and the reduction core. This is also filled with ceramic.

1 Like

Im working on three rocket stoves that will be up for sale at Argos. I have a lot on my plate before this coming Thursday. I have to finish the Evo SS Mini, build two more of these stoves and swap engines between my S 10’s. Blew a rod bearing this winter on my daily driver, so been driving the project truck for the time being. But need to get my daily driver back up and running for the trip.

4 Likes

I know what you mean that ceramic helped my warm up times, and is weight factor good for the smaller truck units. No sticking throtle plates and havent had too narrow my restrickor on my s10 4.3. FROM WHAT I LEARNED IN THE WAYNE KEITH BOOK HWWT and adding the 1 or 2" blanket i like the over all performance of the WK design,Though my fuel petro pump just quit or the wireing is bad. So bought 2000 s10 at auction for 348.00$ out the door, wont have time too run down any glitches, so hopeing my 04 grand am makes the trip on petro, the weather is looking good for tent camping, planning on heading out thursday some time , too be there for friday and saterday ay leist.You guys really got the wood gas unit options going together well with all the testing equipment and research time involved.

2 Likes

Getting closer to wrapping up the first Evolution Mini SS. Still have to wire up the box yet, assemble install the blower, attach the pull latches for the filter lid and then there will be some plumbing parts to assemble later in the week as that stuff is on order. So I most likely will not be able to fire it off before Argos, more that likely its first light off will be there.

The Evolution MIni SS you see here in the picture was contructed on about 75% wood gas power. the 8750 just doesnt quite have enough to run our CNC Plasma cutter on wood gas; so thats the only time I run on gasoline. Other than that I can weld and do all the rest on wood gas from the flex mini. It now has full automation and runs so solid I forget about it and run it out of fuel past restriction occasionally.

I am considering bring my Miller with me and will construct the final rocket stove there. This will be a great way to show loading down the generator running on wood. Might do a shop for those that want some pointers so bring your weld hood. This is of coarse if there is a place I can set up where the flash wont be an issue to others.

Other than that the Flex MIni has been running pretty good, I dont foresee any issues other than it needs some fresh paint. I wont have time to mess with that little machine. tomorrow night I will be pulling the motor out of the S10 with the bad motor. then Wed Ill swap them over. So in a way its a start on the project truck as yanking the motor is the first step of that project. :fire:

6 Likes

Good old automatic controls, bring that too argoes too show some automatic features working if time allows, Thanks

2 Likes

Yes both machines have full automation, I dont mess around with out it. Its a must have on a small scale system to be practical and be able to walk away from it and actually be able to use the power.

I have wrapped up the wiring on the Evo Mini SS and have it as far as I can with out the parts on order. There is about an hours worth of work to finish if that much.

After that raging hot sun went down, I yanked out the bad motor of one of the S10’s Im going into work tomorrow to complete the second rocket stove and prep the parts for the third to build at Argos. Then after I have that wrapped up Ill come home and swap the other one back in this truck.

Im going to get a canopy and sides to shield the welder, for the rocket stove project. I also have in hand raffle tickets and the stove in pics I posted above will be raffled off on Saturday night. Tickets will be 10 bucks. :fire:

5 Likes

Good luck getting all that done before friday at leist. If my ammo cans werent in the mail, i wouldent feel so bad putting my pontiac in crues mode on petro, and i dont work that fast at mechanics under time llimits.THIS HEAT WAVE SETS THE OUT SIDE WORKING TIME BACK COUPLE HOURS AT BEST. I sure wish that dakota Wayne K just posted was up here in the north, I will have too get by with out a v8 dakota for now. See you at argos i dont know what day i am leaveing yet either.

1 Like

Friday!!??? lol no all this has done by tomorrow night haha. Ill be packing up Thursday and may head that way by Thursday night even. Oh man do I need a vacation!!

5 Likes

LOL Bob I saw that!! hahaha!

Thankyou Matt for bringing your excellent gasifiers to Argos.
You mentioned above that sometimes the fuel runs out on the automated pellet gasifier before you notice. Are you thinking of adding an automated shut-down to that also?
I forgot to ask you how much you were asking for your pellet rocket stove.
It seems like you are getting very close to having products that the public could definitely be interested in.

1 Like

Thanks Robin, yeah with the pellet machine I could actually install a fuel sensor as there is no smoke in its hopper. The rocket is on the site for 275 shipped, I have three in stock.

Yup, fuel standardization I think is key for the general consumer. The pellet versions are very close to consumer ready :fire:

2 Likes

So here is a next gen Evolution Power System in the works. This new design is much better than the old and once we have fixtures we will fly though em.

The corner pillars have grommet holes and cut outs for clean wire routing.

3 Likes

Running an experiment today, revisiting introducing a charcoal single jet gasifier into the ash bin.

Just running to see if there is any tar production for now and if it passes this then Ill see if consumption rates improve.

1 Like

Noone seems to be posting now so what did it do??

1 Like