Thrive Off Grid

Hi Matt, you could still build a grate that goes just behind the door about 1/3rd up just above the lower grate, it could be removed for clean outs. Nice wood or oil drip stove.
Bob

2 Likes

I found this video of my furnace conversion. It has an 8 inch cast iron fry pan that the oil drips into. The suction of the chimney draft pulls the combustion products thru the slotted 4 inch pipe where secondary combustion air burns the vapor with a white hot flame. It works good but is still a dirty way to heat my shop.

6 Likes

Nice Don!! Im going to get some diesel or Kerosene tomorrow. If it works better I have no problem running this instead and is more the intent for marketing. Free is good but not if I cant get to run clean.

2 Likes

I use salvaged motor oil and transmission fluid in a drip fueled forced draft 8” diameter fire tube.
I found that a very sensitive balance of oil and air flow is required for smoke free operation. Adding a small amount of diesel or gasoline to the waste oil mix makes the operation much less sensitive.
I also use propane for startup because until things get heated up, say 5 minutes, the operation can get flooded and Smokey.

4 Likes

Not too sure if this will work in your setup, but it might be an idea you can build on. I made this oil drip thingy to burn up some old fryer oil in a rocket stove. The resharpened nail acts as a needle valve. The hole in the bent part of the rim makes friction with the nail. The nail can be raised or lowered to change flow rate.

6 Likes

If you are in the market for a pellet stove. Check out my Enduro Stove. This stove is the by product of the gasifier development. In a way its actually what developed the gasifier reactors I use today. They started out on very early pellet stove prototypes.

Today the Enduro Stove is now fully developed and a year field tested. I have refined the 2020 version to hold a near full bag of pellets. This stove does NOT require any electrical input. It uses a natural draft and you can cook on it. So in a power outage when its COLD, you will have a means for heat, cooking and hot water.

11 Likes

Hi Matt good evening, i was woundering if you had any ideas set back for building some sort of malti chop chunking machine, from mostly salvage yard parts.? im sure you could make fortion on the plans ounce unit tested out too save time chunking, might even work in a pellot machine with a few mods.? problly take a big low geared gear box or exturnal gears too chunk about 10 or more cutting wheels at a time. maybe an old metal press, or a large hydrolic arm,pushing the chunking wheels through a 8 or 10 foot stick,slab or board from saw mill. PS I WOULD like your expert opinion on how many chunker plates would a 14" x12 ’ long steel pipe 1/2" thick like we are seeing at salvage yard for cutoff wheels,would hold up for too chunk seting on rollers and rollers on the top of pipe too suport the pipe for the chunking action.??

2 Likes

Kevin, look up rebak chunkers. More or less what you are describing is already a developed concept in Europe. Both Jo and Kristijan have built such units. They are very fast and efficient. The critical parts are the 2 larger diameter gears to keep the cutting heads synchronized. Find a pair of gears to build around, and the rest is fairly simple.

4 Likes

Kevin,
It seemed to me these guys had their chunker going pretty fast. How fast do you want, any way?

5 Likes

Thats what I need for this stove!! I am going to abandon running any liquid fuels in a stove, I had a bit of a scare with too much fuel getting in the stove (mostly kerosene) That was a enough for me. However, as a wood stove this thing is very clean its running just as clean as the pellet stoves. At least visually, there is no smoke out my chimney.

Im going to revise the door a bit and make bigger the full size of the chamber with a second door opening at its top for loading in fuel. So you can open the full door to clean it while using the smaller door for keeping it topped off. Its a bit like the Kimberly.

8 Likes

So Im running both my stove and the gasifier running the 420cc Predator and both are running at around the same consumption rate. However the stove is at full bore with no grate intervention and the generator is running with only a moderate load charging my batteries.

If I could only put the gasser inside, then for the same consumption I would not only get heat but also power on top of it for the same rate :fire:

Yes this is coming and I may just be running a fuel cell later as well. I am working with a company but we are in early stages of communication and getting all the NDA stuff out of the way.

5 Likes

Well Its been a long loooonngg road in this endevour, but I think its time to change direction. I am going to pursue my CNC company and start pushing its marketing. I just completed design work on the new Dual Cut Pro 60 for next year. This machine is available for order right now; Ive already sold two of the them. This is a 60 X 60 inch table with dual precision ways, ball screw drives with anti inertia back drives. It can be set up for laser, plasma and router cutting heads. This machine will be the top offering for 2020 and will come fully equipped (turnkey) with free delivery, set up and on the spot training.

Those that may not know, this is actually my background, Ive built multi million dollar CNC tools. This is the company I worked for before launching Vulcan Gasifier.

http://www.campbellgrinder.com/

I will now be working on a low budget machine that will be the bottom of the barrel offering. This will be a plasma cut only table with a 24 X 24 inch work envelope. However, at the target price point of $2500.00 It will offer more features than any other machine in this price range.

As for the gasifier company, I will be pulling most products off the market with exception of the Utility / Worx machines. However, the pricing will most likely double. Thrive Energy and Off Grid will become a development company and no longer a manufacture. I will still be developing next gen systems but back in the shadows.

If anyone is interested in the 24 inch table or the Dual Cut Pro let me know and Ill fill you in on the details. As soon as I open up pre-orders they will fill up fast.

7 Likes

Sorry to hear about the change in focus. I was eagerly following your projects.

There are lots of impressive, ambitious gasifier experimenters out there but few professional fabricators on your level. And now, sadly, one less.

I understand the practical side of running a business but selfishly hope the gasifier bug will come back, maybe after you become a CNC tycoon!

5 Likes

I do not think it is right to have Matt starving making only gasifiers. He has too many fabrication skills that will produce an income that he deserves! Large market for CNC equipment. Gasification should only be a side business. Onward Mr. Matt ! ! !

Matt should start a topic of something like “Thrive With Tools.”

14 Likes

Oh no the bug is still there, I will just be eliminating the manufacturing side of it. Development we will still forge ahead and since manufacturing is removed this will be done at a much higher level. I am working with a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell manufacture, this is the direction I want to go. However, if we can not get the cells to work then there will be a plan B were we use the same system but run an outdoor power unit. Next gen systems will be designed specifically for indoor use like a wood or pellet stove. Warmer months it can then be placed outside.

4 Likes

Should we call it the Cyber Station??

This is the next generation power system. Internally it is the same as last years Flex Power System. However just wrapped in a new wrapper and simplified a bit. I will be retiring the Flex badging and extending the Worx branding onto the power unit. This will be the Worx Power Station coming soon. I will probably offer a range from 5 kW on up to 12.5 kW with networking capability.

It is 42" X 42" foot print and stands just 48" tall. I estimate it will hold around 100 lbs of fuel. The machine I will be building will have the 670cc V-twin stuffed inside mated to a 10 kW peak output generator head. It should sustain a 5 kW load with probably around 8 kW peak.

5 Likes

It seems Matt you have endless amount of ideas coming out of your mind for improvements on your builds. Good job.
Bob

4 Likes

Just an updated model, with the all the door panels and access lids installed. I crammed the Honda GX 690 in there along with the NorthStar 10 kW head as well. So I think Ive succeeded in what I set out to do with this design. Hope the real world build process meets thats criteria. Ill be building this very soon.

3 Likes

Matt,
Are you aware that Lowes Home Improvement carries tools with the registered Worx trade name? I was wondering about the legality of the name being applied to your products. Don’t want you to get some surprise and unwelcome letter from a lawyer.

2 Likes

Well then there would be a lot of companies besides mine getting sued as this is very commonly used in branding and badging. So I dont know. I do already know of Worx products. This is my Worx product line as they have the “Worx” as far as features go. Im also not using it as a company name, it is a product branding.

Edit: you can not trademark common words unless your product basically gives the word a new definition., Besides the Worx is not standalone in my badging. it is always followed by another word, “Worx Gasifier SE” Worx Power Station" etc.

Edit again. you maybe right I may need to change the spelling I dont know.

2 Likes