Thrive Off Grid

it is a grey area if it is a invention what will stop me for example just changing the design or wat a few yars and making it anyway. I woulnt but you know what i am saying if you take it to court it could bank rup you and then you wouldnt be able to make it anyway. investers will not invest unless they think thy can make a lot of money. then you invent it for them and they take it from you. talking from experence. It is not worth the paper it is printed on. it only takes time from inventing. You may get lucky maybe 1 out of 10 thousand better go to vagus first. i have thousand of patents that people had made 20 30 or 70 years ago that are better than what we have today just they couldnt find investor or didnt have the energy to fight gov.red tape to get it produced. from better batterys electric cars th charchol producers for gasifiers etc the list gos on and on. sorry i am not trying th bust you bubble you are a good designer I see you have a lot of drive so do what you do best and find some one to do the gov work using their money and get a few dollars on the side as i have learned let other people do the leg work you can do more inventing.

1 Like

That is fine, at least I have my patent and you cant lock me out of my own inventions.
An investor generally will not invest unless there is a patent or is patentable.

Um yeah when you get an investor, that is sort of the point. But its up to you how you deal with an investor. I am not dumb and I know how to work with those people. It why I dont have investors , its because I screen and analyze every that spews out their mouths. As soon as I see red flags they go away.

Ive been involved and SBA and had a mentor for many years. Im well educated in why you need patent protection. Its called that for a reason.

2 Likes

no problem you are a good hard working designer and I only wish you the best of luck. i am only looking at what i have seen from close to 70 years of living i wish you all the luck and happyness in this life.

3 Likes

You can tackle that via Creative Commons.

Why does that open source work? And you donā€™t have to be afraid that your ideaā€™s are being stolen?
Because Mr. Steve is right! There are only a few actual Do-ers! Go with the flow, stay under radar and just sell your stuff. You are a techie, donā€™t get involved with vulture lawyers

1 Like

You guys dont get it! If a stove company takes this idea they can patent it. I can no longer sell my own products. Why dont you guys understand this??

The United States just change the patent laws. It no longer first to invent. It is first to File period. If I put anything out in public domain, any stove manufacture can take that idea put it through patent process and lock me completely out. I can NO LONGER SELL MY PRODUCT. They have money and lot of it I dont I cant fight them and even if I could these law suites take years. Mean while I go bankrupt as I no longer have a product to sell.

When you open source, you only have an NDA to protect you. But just that person signed there zero stopping his buddy from taking that idea.

It is called " patent protection " for a reason. It is to protect you and your idea, product and invention.

You all need to spend some time with Small Business Development Association and learn all this.

A patent is the leverage you have to get investment as well. If you dont have or cant get a patent its worthless to an investor. If you dont patent and give that investor control they can take it from you as well.

If you have a patentable product you need to get it or it will be taken from you and you can no longer sell it.

3 Likes

You all need to read every word of this and understand it. In the US you have a 1 year grace period regardless if it is open sourced.

2 Likes

Something else in this internet age, you bet there are companies that follow some us developers. They follow my facebook page, my youtube channel, website, they follow me here and some are on my personal page. I am watched closely by a lot of people and companies worldwide and thats a fact. I can show you tons of emails.

2 Likes

Yeah I ve already contact US Stove, but I will not give them full patent rights. Cricketsā€¦ I have many others interested working on this with caution.

1 Like

Nice, I just wrote to Magnum Ill hit those guys up next. Yeah this is that pie Im talking about, You can have a piece of the pie or you can a whole rotten pie or it can be taken.

Ill take my piece, and be happy with that.

5 Likes

magnum are you crazy. oh well.

1 Like

Matt, Hate to be a downer, but if you are worried about patent protection and industrial espionage, Why be talking about it or showing any photos at all on a public forum. Time to stop broadcasting details, or just donā€™t worry about giving it all away. You are a brilliant engineer, and I have faith someone would buy the technology from you, but like @SteveUnruh and @larry0 have said, ā€œthey them tharā€ will find a way to steal it.

1 Like

Mike Im not the core technology is not in public domain. and again you are missing the point of a patent its not just about getting it stolen its about getting locked out. Do you understand that? None of you seem too and you all need to understand what patent protection is and how the laws have changed .

If I dont patent this and someone else does. I can not sell my product, I GO OUT OF BUSINESS. They can sue me for producing it, they now have the patent, my intellectual property now belongs to them!!

3 Likes

Yup, Mike. The patent attorneys told me that just having a prototype sitting on my desk IN the lab for a year, puts the device ā€œin the public domainā€ for too long a time and therefore makes it NOT patent-worthy. If I understand correctly, the whole Patent system was designed to show new stuff to the world, so folks could build on it (while giving some protection to the ā€œinventorā€) for a period of time.

3 Likes

No thats not true at all. You have a 1 year grace period to get it patented thats in the US, it can be in public domain for years and if it is not patented you can get the patent. None of the core tech is in public domain, I scrubbed everything Ive ever posted on the reactor cores any ways and this stove version there absolutely nothing in public view.

A private lab or home, or shop is not public domain especially if you require an NDA to enter that property.

2 Likes

It used to be first to invent. thats where if you put it in public domain, you can disclose your invention with out worry of someone taking it. Thats not the case anymore its now first to file.

3 Likes

The reason you get a patent;

A patent provides its owner with the right to exclude others from exploiting the patented technology, including, for example, making, using, or selling the patented invention. Effective patent protection stimulates research and is a key requirement for raising venture capital. This give certain rights and control over the intellectual property and protects you from other companies from copying and selling the invention.

What most of you seem to be missing is if you dont patent; another company can. You are now the copier, exploiter and are no longer the inventor, they now have full control. You no longer have any control and you just lost your business.

The engine gasifiers Ive never really cared, as it is a niche market and it will never be a main stream product at the levels all of us are at.

The stove tech however and especially a self sustaining pellet stove that is very clean on the other hand. Thatā€™s a different story, that is a big market. It can reduce manufacturing cost, it can be licensed, opens up markets that want it to work in a grid down situation etc. I think it is quite marketable and it needs protection.

I can to the provisional myself, but Im afraid Ill miss something.

3 Likes

This has been mentioned a few times

2 Likes

Donā€™t let that stop you ā€” you can file multiple provisionals to stake a claim as you develop and roll them all together as claims into a later non-provisional. The earliest provisional becomes your priority date for that aggregate patent. Iā€™ve been through the ā€¦ joy (bleh) ā€¦ a couple of times. Continuations and divisionals are how you can subsequently modify/expand the scope of a prior application. Standard usenet disclaimer : IANAL.

2 Likes

Look what i came across Matt while searching into the post industrial and small gasifier , i am thinking he must have asked your permission ?

3 Likes

Hmm interesting! Is any out there can translate.

Yeah my videos are plastered all over the place liked this. It has not been so much the last few years, but from the start up to around 2016 those videos we taken and put all over other platforms.

From the sounds of it he is just overviewing the video and design. He knows who I am apparently as he mentions me by name in the videos and knows things beyond the video contents.

Im not sure if he knows its a charcoal gasifier or not, Google was having a hard time translating the captions, It donā€™t bother me it is in public domain.

3 Likes