Tools, Tips and Tricks

Looks like somthing I might have tryed,Nice fix, maybe it last long time till it wears out or brakes, if you can get an extra shaft on stand by. Looks like you have a good hay season, ready for next season, are you use roll plastic on some rolls,?? THANKS, Wayne.K

3 Likes

I sometimes go to hit and miss engine shows. Lots of exhibitors want their engines to look like as they were delivered new. Then there are some that like them to look like they did when the found them in a barn with worn paint and patina. I enjoy looking at all the farmer fixes that have been done over the years. Most of those repaired engines are still running with the repairs in place. Some of the farmers were really ingenious.

7 Likes

Good morning Kevin .

I use no plastic and was able to get all the hay in the barn this year . Some years I have to leave some out in the weather but this year all fit in the hay barn :blush:

11 Likes

Depends on the skill level

I look real hard at barn finds
Some of those fixes can’t be undone
Some of these fixes that got things to run are why they returned to the barn and never ran again

2 Likes

Bought a brushless drill from here and some drill bits. Should be here next week or so.

Also, got the smallest 1/2" chuck corded drill from Harbor Freight. And because it’s Harbor Freight you can’t just buy one thing so I got the Bauer corded impact gun and some impact sockets. I watched a guy take apart a trailer and was convinced it’s enough for my needs, lug nuts and whatnot.

3 Likes

Kevin suggested I drop a link on this tool. Lets you change your valve stem without taking the tire off of the wheel. Just finally used my kit today and it worked like a charm. Only comes with two stems so you’d need to buy more, and I suggest getting a tube of silicone grease.

AME INTL Quick Valve Change Tool https://a.co/d/eMpBcy4

3 Likes

Thats a neat trick pulling the full vaulve core/stem with out braking down the tire, and installing the vaulve stem/core with out braking down the tire is better yet, I found 100 vaulve stem/cores on amizon for 20/22/24 $ and some change, I would load the link but i caint find a way with my cheap notebook computor.

2 Likes

Another trick using valve core stem is recharging arosol cans.

9 Likes

Had not tried that before. I have seen the ones where you put a hole in the can and permanently install the valve. Yesterday I wanted to paint something and had 3 new cans of Rustoleum that did not work. May have been on the shelf for a year or so but cap never off can. I’m going to try this on them.

3 Likes

Y’know I think the best part about brushless tools is no more ozone stink. Got the Ryobi brushless drill. Haven’t tested it yet but it has 22 clutch settings and two speed settings on top of variable speed with the trigger. Should be perfect for the hole saw.

1 Like

I would say this trick is known by most all us mechanics here on the DOW. If having hard time getting a tire too pop out on the rim bead, i use a shot of starting fluid and a torch a little ways away, that seems too pop them on the rim easy. I usually put the air too the core at the same time i run the torch by the rim bead area,few inches away from the bead.

8 Likes

Works super, we alway did it that way in the shop, before we buyed a “bead bazooka”
Just some words of caution: never ever use oxy/acetylene like i’ve seen some do, even on Youtube!! :grimacing:

9 Likes

Yep. That’s how I’ve always done it. I usually break the bead with a plank on the tire and then drive up onto it. For at least 20 years I’ve been going to build a tire changing set up. Still using the plank.

5 Likes

Hi Tom,
I got the changer and balancer from HF and used this guy’s idea of using a steel ball. I scuffed the paint on top of the changer, with 400 grit sandpaper, and just set the balancer on it. It works good. I recommend NOT reusing rims with more than 1/16th inch of run-out.
Rindert

5 Likes

Not knowing where else to put this I found a supplier a while back that I bought some Inconel barb fittings from.

And I think it was these fellows, but I used Made in India to find them and now can;t locate the supplier for sure.
They do exists…
I got them from someone…
The 1/2 barbs did not melt or erode like normal steels

3 Likes

I used too just drive close too the tire. I never tryed the plank method, If my old 100 dollar tire braker machine brakes ,i will give the plank leverge a try,Thanks.

3 Likes

I thought this was worth sharing, if someone likes it. :smiley:
Everyone knows what a pita it is to cut a pipe “freehand”, many knows the trick to wrap a paper around the pipe, or tape, to get a straight line.
Once, when i needed to cut a skirt on a piston i came up with this: (others probably have too)

This is a ordinary piston-ring compressor, used when slipping pistons in the cylinder, cheap, and many different sizes available.

Mark the lenght on the pipe.

Carefully tighten the tool, draw a mark along the side.

Straight enough for me, when i cutting freehand it often becomes a “spiral” matching around 1 inch apart :roll_eyes:
Caution: never cut directly to the side of the tool, it becomes a: single time use/disposable tool then.
Maybe old news for the most of you, but if someone didn’t know it im happy to share :blush:

12 Likes

I finally ordered a XL sized roll of that super fancy wrap-around tape for doing straight circumferential lines on a cylinder. I’ve never been good at doing straight lines. Supposed to arrive on Sunday. Made for 6-16" diameter cylinders.

4 Likes

Good thing I’m a skin head or I’d pull the hair out anyway. The fuel line on my Stihl chainsaw split. I ordered one off amazon that was supposed to work but it’s not even close. For one thing, why does Stihl have so many different models and why should there be about 10 different fuel lines. Just ranting. Anyway if you have a Stihl MS 271, regardless of what they claim on Youtube, you are not changing that line without getting the bottom carriage and fuel tank assembly off the saw and that’s not a good time. This model has a two piece line That has a nylon 90 degree connector on the line that goes into the tank. You cannot just pull the hoses off it. I may try and join the broken line to the wrong one I bought but any solid tube in those lines would not let you fish the filter out. And how in the hell do they assemble these things on an assembly line.

4 Likes

Sympathy. But that’s just the way things are these days. Try keeping a 1991 Ranger on the road. :)) Anymore I would not have ordered a part like that. I would have just taken the split line and gone to the hardware store where I know they carry a variety of small fuel lines and gotten something that would work. Some hardware stores seem to be stocking a wider variety of stuff these days. Probably just because of little bs like this.
Rindert

3 Likes