Tools, Tips and Tricks

Apparently I need to update my vocabulary,
nip:

11. (obsolete, UK, thieves’ cant) A pickpocket

1 Like

I find there are a lot of odd words up here.
Nipping, to move and transport material being one of them.
But that tool seems to be widely called a nipper up here.

Duckboard is another…
Its a term for laying planks on muddy track drifts around ditches and trenches for drainage.
Seems to be related to the great war and boards laid in trenches.

Chesterfield.
A place in the UK ( and a style of Chair not popular any more ), a smoke in the USA, and any sort of leather Sofa like thing you sleep on in Canada.

Gum boot, Wellington boots, Rubbers ( not to be confused with… Rubbers ), Galoshes ( From the french I believe ).
All these are well understood in Canada and the UK, not so sure about the USA. ( Where I think Rubbers or Rubber boots is the preferred term ).

Boots and Bonnets…
could be a car or something you wear.

Quay, forecourt…
UK words, a stone warf, front court understood in Canada, maybe not used or understood in the USA.

Spanner UK, Specific to application in Canada like pin spanner, wrench in USA.

Also English Key UK,… crescent wrench Canada USA…
This will baffle everyone.
The Finnish key…
Local, invented by an angry Finlander up here in my area.
This is a Spud in Canada and USA and I don’t know what they call it in the UK

Fag, butt, smoke, nail dart.
A cigarette…
I

They work but the duty cycle in the alternator is low.
You can pretty much build the same thing for a lot less than they ask and the AC from it his high frequency

Adjustable nut ****er, crecent hammer, kresky, adjustable spanner, twister wrench, quite a few names for a “crescent wrench” that i have heard

Adjustable wrench, dad always calls a C***sucker from his time at Vermont American.

Galoshes I hear it a little bit around here.

But we call a tote a Poke here and manual transmissions are Straight Drive.

2 Likes

I thought everyone called a manual trans a stick shift. I even hear it on TV. “I don’t know how to drive a stick” I don’t know if Crescent Tools made the first adjustable wrench but regardless of the brand they were always crescent wrenches. Iron workers tool belt carried a three quarter and seven eights spud, a sleever bar, a 12 inch crescent, two bull pins, a four or six pound sledge and a bolt bag. Fill the bag with bolts and you are dragging around 40 to 50 pounds on your hips all day long. Many guys wore two bags.

5 Likes

I deserve this. Point taken.

That just sounds so wrong in this day and age of bi/gay/trans rights.

Dont forgot the ottoman!! geessh.

In the UK a rubber refers to an eraser.

That must be a local name for it. I tried googling for Finnish Key, and found nothing but on the rastall usa site they call it a hammer head adjustable miners wrench. And it has a 6" mark for ‘boot let’ whatever that means probably for dynamite. The canadian site does not carry a hammerhead version of the miners wrench or a finnish key for that matter. The hammerhead option is only available with the spud wrench from the canadian site. (Probably because it looks like an effective weapon against bears)

2 Likes

Fins beat the hell out of things with it
The tool is banned from most workplaces because it does not have a hardened face
That might be why it’s not listed

Old man Rastal was a Fin lander too

1 Like

Alright guys, I need to get some new drills.

Pretty much limited in budget to the Horror Fright.

Should I shell out for the Hercules(top) branding or just get their cheapest cordless and corded drills? I have no personal experience with their newer line of power tools, but their 12V cordless is tempting.

2 Likes

I have a few of their corded 1/2" chuck drills and they get abused a lot and have been holding up very well even hogging out 1" holes through thick steel plenty of torque to spare. Cant speak to the battery varieties. There is a non affiliated app for harbor freight coupons in the app store that takes all coupons nationwide (they vary from one store location to the next when things go on sale or have a coupon each flyer is different) and puts then on the app you can almost always find a coupon for whatever you want to get at 10-20% off

3 Likes

The last corded drill I got was their medium sized one, had a horizontal handle attachment. Made the mistake of using it for hole sawing with 2.5" bit and broke the grip when a tooth snagged and sent the drill out of my hands. The old Chicago Electric 6.3 Amp.

The Bauer 20v is brushless so that might be a good idea. They run a lot of deals for the battery kits on those.

3 Likes

If you don’t currently have batteries for a particular brand then I would go with Ryobi.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-1-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-and-Impact-Rated-Driving-Kit-40-Piece-P215K-AR2038/313307478?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_009_PORT_POWER-NA-Ryobi-NA-Smart-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PortablePower_Smart&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_009_PORT_POWER-NA-Ryobi-NA-Smart-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PortablePower_Smart-71700000084736779-58700007165824627-92700065193741249&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6cP2za-3-gIVASCtBh0_hQb1EAQYBCABEgK69PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Not sure how long this sale lasts but Ryobi has a lot of sales, especially on batteries and the warranty is decent. My main issue with HF is the warranty. By the time you upgrade it to the same as most of the other manufacturers you are in the same price range. That being said, I go with Bauer over Hercules. I’d also consider Hart at Walmart.

4 Likes

I’ve thought about it. My mom is all in on Ryobi stuff so I could just use some batts from her dragon’s hoard.

4 Likes

Break down in the field but patched up and may not ever change it

10 Likes

I used a Hercules 20 v cordless for a couple years roofing. it put in a lot of screws. and drilled the holes on a couple gasifiers. I finally burnt the brushes putting down a deck with 3 inch screws. I pulled it apart and cleaned the brushes and I still use it today. 2 years later, though not a lot.

the chucks are not the best but there are very few drills out there with good chucks.

on cordless drills I would stay away from Bauer. I have two of them burnt one up in a few months. they are very weak and the chucks suck.
their impact drivers and mechanics impacts work well I use the all the time.
the 1/2 inch is not as powerful as DeWalt or Makita but the 3/8 is really good.

I know nothing about their corded drills.
Don’t spend the money on corded DeWalt. my Some of us have snapped brand-new ones in half.

I will go with the 20v cordless Hercules probably from now on unless I find something better but it has worked really well for me.

7 Likes

You fixed it the real farmers way Mr Wayne :smiley::smiley:. Good as new!

Cody, it depents, if you need real power, nothing beats a coord. I dont need it in my work, so the only tool with a coord is the charger. And I stick to 18 V Bosch. Good quality and not as heavy as 24 V. Weight is an issue when working above your head. So I would go with the 20 V on your site of the pond. And DeWalt? Only the name is the same. If you are serious then stay away.

4 Likes

Really I just need it for hole saws and pilot holes.

My big air compressor gave up the ghost and we can’t figure out why it won’t cut on anymore, and with my small compressor running an air drill is tedious. If I get my hands on another 100lb propane tank I’m definitely going to make a medium sized engine driven compressor.

1 Like

I use mostly 12V Milwaukee and a few 20V Rigid. I mix a lot of air crete and mortar in five gallon buckets and the mortar especially is a heavy load. I have been using a 1/2 inch corded Chicago Electric for two years now and it has mixed quite a few cubic yards of material. Of course sometimes you just get lucky.

4 Likes
3 Likes