Tools, Tips and Tricks

A guy at work, in the paper mill, is an electrician and well known to always have a clean overall and he hardly ever uses his tools. However he always manages to get things up and running just by tapping at relays with the handle of his screwdriver.
At his 50s birthday his work mates welded a new tool for a present. It was a screwdriver with handles in both ends.

13 Likes

Now that is a really funny story :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I guess this should go here, it’s a homemade tool, and it’s pretty trick.

I built these two years ago when I brought home a load of 12 ft metal tubing, bar stock etc. and had no way to organize them. They’ve held up amazingly well, and I can’t think of anything I’d do different. Made from 1" square tubing.

7 Likes

Those remind me of the Jamie Hyneman shelves that he talks about in this video:

Check out his nesting work tables at the end too.

1 Like

That’s actually where I got the idea, sort of. His shelves are all wall mounted and full height, whereas I wanted something freestanding.

Jamie’s insight about welding 1" square tubing is spot on. Easiest/cheapest/strongest method to make a framework.

1 Like

Here’s a trick to help your back. Might work good for scooping up motor fuel too!

6 Likes

An idea of welding without using your hands!

1 Like

Finished weld looks about like mine :wink:

1 Like

Hello all

I may have mention before the grate shaker I made .

Really works good :grinning:

3 Likes

Hey Wayne, are you shaking that hanging grate daily or just when you’re seeing the vacuum ratios getting out of a good range?

Hello Doug .

I only use the big shaking tool when the vacuum ratios get out of range ( plugging )

1 Like

add a link connecting to the right side of the rear axle through the box to the handle and when she starts pulling hard; just weave over to the shoulder and hit a couple bumps to free her up. :slight_smile:

Seriously officer I was just shaking my grate!!!

5 Likes

Wayne, does that big tool shake the truck :grinning:

1 Like

Hello Pepe .

Yes , If you put enough muscle on it I think it will shake the whole truck :grinning:

2 Likes

i used one like that too open up my charbed when pluged half way up, before i found my stirring rod, Now that i adjusted the choke it stays clear more near the bottom of the tube.and makes for a less disturbed tar cracker.

1 Like

If there is a little wind or breeze it will really help keeping the soot away from you . If there is no breeze I use this little 12V fan . Works good :relaxed:

9 Likes

I keep a fan in the shop just for that. Charcoal dust spreads like a fog.

3 Likes

I don’t know what category this question belongs in so I am asking it here. Is it possible to have air mixed in with CO2/argon gas in a mig welding tank? The last time I welded with my mig all it did was sputter like when it runs out of gas but the gauge shows better than 1/8th full. I turned the wire speed all the way down and when I pull the trigger I can hear and feel “gas” come out of the tip but it doesn’t seem like it shields the weld like it is just air. Is it possible that the gas is contaminated?

Hey Don.

Did the poor shielding begin whenever you change out your argon bottle ?

No, only after running it down to about 1/8th full (or empty).