Tools, Tips and Tricks

giorgio,
The cyclone removes the dust, and other solid particles from the gas stream instead of allowing it to restrict the gas flow as it accumulates. It does have a cooling effect, too.

4 Likes

Giorgio,
I second what Steve Bowman said. Consider it a coarse filter. Stephen A made a formula for his own cyclones. 1D3D. If your tubing for the gas flow is 1", then the diameter of the body of the cyclone will be 3". It’s more of a rule of thumb and it’s not the only way to design one, but Stephen says he finds the results satisfactory.

I also second what Tone said in using square or rectangular tubing for the gas flow going into the cyclone.

Stephen does not use a cone bottom for his cyclone, but the cone bottom does improve them.

Cyclones do create a flow restriction.

4 Likes

This is where a drop box is really good no flow restrictions or very little as it drops out the ashes and small charcoal pieces, but the drop box takes up more room in size, it also has a great cooling effect with a preheater for fresh air built into the drop box.
My gas temps can be at 1700 °f at the grate and then leaving the drop box at 400 °f . Gases at the end of the cooling rails are at around ambient temps. Cooling the gases down to get the moisture to drop out helps clean the gases before it goes to the water condenstion holding tank. This is where more soot is collected before it goes to the hayfilter.
The less restriction of gases flow through the gasifier system the more power to the engine from the gases that are being made.
Bob

10 Likes
1 Like

Cutting mechanism Model M-60 on PTO for Cutting Branches and Trees (remetcnc.com)

This is apparently a Polish company that claims to have two distributors in North America - one in The Plains, Ohio and one in Fournier, Ontario. The one in Ohio has a website (woodchunkers.com) that gives me the standard Microsoft Edge warning:

"Attackers might be trying to steal your information from woodchunkers.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Three questions:

1. Am I being too paranoid of accessing this website?
  2. Has anyone ever done business with this place in Ohio?
  3. This type of wood processing appears to be fairly common in Europe. Why not in the US?
2 Likes

thanks for all cyclon replies, but i am, in hurry, was so stupid not re- reading my post again and forgot the number 2…
so the question should be: why someone use 2 cyclones instead of 1…i think don mannes and others has done so…
sorry for my mistake and thanks for answers
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

Hi Alex, just some thougts from me, remetcnc seems to be a reliable company, i’ve bought some parts from them, worked well, no problem at all, the distributor companies however seems to be more of unscrupulous, fast money seeking, i bought a chunking mechanism from a never heard of, company here in Sweden, no problems, fast delivery, cheap, but now that company are totally disapeared, no phone numbers, anything…
For the US i believe the longer shipping distance scares away small companys, (not so much profit) and with that way of shipping it’s not possible to “sneak” those machines on the market, i believe there are some safety regulations to be followed to introduce this stuff on the market?
Just some thougts frome Europe.

5 Likes

Giorgio, I think you are referring to this

I had to squeeze everything into the small bed of my Geo Tracker and so I used two 3 inch instead of one 6 inch cyclone.

9 Likes

Giorgio, there is a size limit for a cyclone if you want it to be effective and not cause too much drag. In industry also they got a batery of small cyclones oposed to having one larg one. I too had 2 2" cyclones on my Chevy but the goal was to extract fog (moisture) so they had to be wery efficiant. For most aplications in woodgas there is no need as the cyclone isnt the lnly filter.

8 Likes

New way to get wires inside the cab. :grinning:

15 Likes

A few years ago couple small towns over a couple was putting a cable for their satellite tv thur house wall . They shot once, couldn’t get wire thur wall. Lady was outside looking trying to look thur hole when man decided to shot again.

1 Like

That video says America with every second of it :smile:

13 Likes

And they say the Brits are crazy. Not so.

4 Likes

A couple guys here besides me mentioned owning these Miller welders. Two videos of a guy getting one to work.

8 Likes

As soon as I get my W2 from my old job, I might drop the hammer on a slip roll. Would be nice to be able to make my own cylinders and cones.

4 Likes

Tom, that is the exact welder I have

1 Like

I remembered that you said that AL. One of the reasons I linked it here. The only problem with mine was that it would not kick down to a lower RPM when done welding. I took it to a repair place at one time but I paid for no result and being overwhelmed with work at the time I stuck it back in a shed and ignored it which was good because it didn’t get burned up with all my other stuff when my shop caught fire. He covered that problem in the video so I will drag it out and get it working again before I try and swap engines. Before Youtube I would have had no clue about how to fix a lot of stuff I have since brought back to life.

10 Likes

Alex, that companies’ (Remet CNC Technology) own home website shows NO dealers outside of continental Europe and a few other places. Nothing in North, Central, or South America. I would take that as an answer. And what Goran said! :cowboy_hat_face:

Goran Quote:

“For the US i believe the longer shipping distance scares away small companys, (not so much profit) and with that way of shipping it’s not possible to “sneak” those machines on the market, i believe there are some safety regulations to be followed to introduce this stuff on the market?
Just some thougts frome Europe.”

4 Likes

I have talked with Remet CNC before, and they are willing to ship overseas last I had a conversation. I’d just shoot them an email.

3 Likes

I can try to ship it for you. I have a Remet. Works great.

3 Likes