Tools, Tips and Tricks

That should work well
An easy test would be to tape on an extension pipe and put about 20 inches of water above it and see how much it leaks

2 Likes

That is a great idea. Should also work for a throttle / mixer valve! :sunglasses:

I am in need of a good tip. We are looking for 1000 feet of pipe (black poly or pvc) 1" or bigger maybe. Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy it? I’d like to order online if possible, or have it shipped otherwise if necessary. Thanks.

Commonly comes in 500’ rolls maximum, and less than that for larger than 1" sizes. You are probably best to get it locally because shipping them is expensive (oversize). Lowes and Home Depot both have it at reasonable cost and free shipping to store. Watch your PSI ratings, the cheap ones are rated less.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-1-in-x-500-ft-IPS-100-psi-NSF-Poly-Pipe-X2-1100500/205909057

Only way to beat that is to find a local distributor that deals in very large rolls.

3 Likes

Not really wood gas related, the tip i just seen on you tube is filling your old leaky rideing lawn mower front tires with spray in stire foam,after adding some solid mass first. might not work on back tires? Not sure how long foam might stay sucure.?

Since I’m cheap and haven’t yet found dual belt pullies for my rebak chunker for free, I’m still running singel belt and it slips from time to time.
I remember as a child my father used sugar syrup to make flat belts stick. I tried that but it only lasts for so long on modern v-belts.
The other day I decided to try gasifier tar. Works excellent. I can now chunk close to 3 in material, which is actually more than the distance between the knife axles. Almost too big for the gasifier to digest, but it sure makes the chunk pile grow fast :grin:

13 Likes

Damn those are some crazy big chunks! And look how cleanly cut they are! Did you shatpen the blades?

1 Like

I stopped sharpening the blades. With that tiny scissor action they have they stay pretty sharp.

5 Likes

Taking the oppertunity of hot summer days to paint garage doors with - guess what? You’re right, gasifier tar.
Rather aggrivati’n pattern to paint but the smell is wonderful :smile:

9 Likes

Amazing finish! Did you dilute the tar qith any solvents/thiners?

You’ve got me thinking, If the wood vinegar deters bugs, would it not kill the microscopic bugs that cause wood to rot?

3 Likes

I didn’t use any thinning at all. The outside temp was 30C, the sun was hammering on the doors and the asfalt. Local temp around me maybe 45C and the tar was as liquid as ordinary paint. The tar disappered into the wood in minutes, leaving a dry surface. Myself, I was sweating like a horse :smile:

@Handy_Andy You may actually have a point there. But I think the most important factor is protecting the wood from water.

Finished result:

14 Likes

Not sure if this was posted before, but i stumbled on this article, to easy check your oil with a gasifier running your engine…

http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/oiltest.htm

6 Likes

Can be useful in difficult places

5 Likes

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I have been using red and ultra copper high temp silicone good for 700* intermittent. This stuff is rated higher and is a soft black instead of shiny red. $6 per tube at Home Depot.

4 Likes

Good price…Also, Harbor Freight has red rtv pretty cheap. Our store here had some big tubes before, but now they don’t get them any more…

1 Like

I just had a look around on google and you can buy the large 10.3 ounce tubes on amazon for 15 bucks, but the postage from them to here in Australia is $39.85, , the reviews are good as its a latex and not a silicone stands a higher temp .

Just shows how much they make out of postage oversea’s as a friend i once had used to send me stuff from texas and it only cost him $13 for a 2lb package to here in Aus.
Dave

1 Like

Just got 3 helpful tools…
1: Thermal imager, up to 1200ºC
2: Combustion analyser inclusive for engine exhaust… ( emission with gasoline vs woodgas )
3: Hygro Thermo meter, inclusive watercontent in the gas measured

4: already have, flow meter for correct measuring gas flow

5: on my wishlist but to come soon: total gas analyser

My wife eating noodles and the cat on top of the fridge…
Last picture the laptop on the small table and in the back the wall facing south…

11 Likes

Nice toys, having the right tools always opens potentials if your a doer and not a collector

6 Likes

@r_wesseling, @trikebuilder57, @Bobmac and others.
I read your recent tar burning discussion in other threads.
For those of you who feel wood consumption/fuel economy is not a major issue I highly recomend gasifier tar as paint. At least over here paint is 10 times more expensive than gasoline.
I recently shared painting my garage doors. I discovered even the metal ventilation hatches liked tar. So yesterday I decided to paint my flaky and rusty water gutters. The result is a shiny, black surface. Completly dry to the touch after only 24 hours. Time will tell how it holds up but it sure looks promising.

11 Likes