Tractor with gas?

Great to hear from you. Please keep us up to date on any new changes in 10.0 gasifier building of the future. I hope everything works for good with the diesel power.
Bob

8 Likes

I am trying to explain the comparison of combustion and expansion of gases when burning diesel fuel and the combination of 90% wood gas - 10% diesel fuel, how is it possible that the expansion of gases is almost the same in both cases? If we compare a diesel engine and a gasoline engine like this, we know that gasoline combustion is 20-30% stronger due to more hydrogen in the fuel (burning hydrogen needs less oxygen than carbon oxidation), well, wood gas contains CO, H2 and CH4, if we look at these elements, we see that they need relatively little oxygen to burn. Let me conclude that a diesel engine operating on wood gas, which is ignited with a pilot injection of diesel fuel, develops similar power as on diesel fuel itself, except that the combustion is much cleaner, without sooty smoke.
Rindert, I would also very much like to do this comparative measurement.

11 Likes

Joni, your Fiat 1.9 D is great, for using vegetable oil, but as I wrote, the oil does not disperse well and some of the droplets cool on the walls of the combustion chamber and do not burn completely, that happens when the engine is idling and also at full load when black smoke appears. If we add a poor mixture of air and gas to such an engine, which contains hydrogen atoms, which burn easily, this instantly raises the temperature and vaporizes all the remaining heavy-flowing oil, which can burn completely, so we get a clean exhaust and good power.

13 Likes

Tone, does the butterfly control on your air intake take the place of a throttle plate on a gasoline engine so that a vacuum can be created in your tractor diesel engine to “suck” on the gasifier? Does it also regulate the air for a 50/50 mixture?

12 Likes

Don, that’s right, I use this flap to throttle the air, but the flap doesn’t close tightly. When starting and heating the gasifier, it is almost closed, but when it warms up, the setting is somewhere around 45°

12 Likes

Great post Mr Tone,
Finnaly someone who understands at a working level that IC engines are gasses expansion engines. The heat in-cylinder made is to make the in-cylinder gases expansion. The fuel in-cylinder is to make the in-cylinder heat to make the all gases present expansion. And you actually only need the amount of oxygen molecules present to fully combust the in-cylinder used fuel blends. High carbons fuels need more oxygen molecules than low-carbon, high hydrogen fuels. The heat made is the same. Rate of heat energy made/released, and therefore expansion, does vary. From too slow, unable to harness/convert. To much too fast and pressure spiking destructive.

Ha! Ha! I really needed you here on the DOW, man 9 years ago:

You write much more compactly than me.
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

13 Likes

Hello Bobmac! you probably meant version 11.0, since version 10.0 has been in operation by me for 2.5 years and so far everything is fine. If you want to know about version 10.0, then I can tell you everything, but this should remain between us in personal correspondence.

13 Likes

Hi Tone! Now I have two cars; Opel running only on gas and Fiat which eats only diesel. Fiat cargo and I now use to transport cargo and help the army, and where they shoot for firewood, there is no time. Another problem is the electronics of this machine, it is very difficult to deceive. In general, I still use sunflower oil.

12 Likes

Hi Joni, thank you, you have been very good at sharing what you want on your gasifiers designs in do time on DOW. I can wait for you to share what you want to share. I can respect that in you because it is your design and hard work you have put into it.
Bob

12 Likes

The electronically controlled diesel fuel injection pump was a step back in the “development” of diesel engines, a bunch of unnecessary sensors and electrics that serve no purpose, a mechanical high-pressure pump achieves the same results, without any problems. Your Fiat has a Lucas pump (at least I think), well, there is an easy option of replacing the electronic pump with a mechanical one, should problems arise.

11 Likes

Today, when I started the gasifier, I blew through the filter with a blower to check the resistance. I was surprised when water gushed out on the lower pipe, well, I have a drain opening below in which a cotton cloth is intended to drain the water, it was too dirty and the water collected in the filter container. Let me remind you that in addition to hay and sawdust, I also have sheep’s wool in the filter, which obviously catches water drops and other impurities very well, so I recommend using it.

14 Likes

Is it ’raw’ sheeps wool or is it felted or something else done to it before it goes in the filter?
I’m thinking it could get too tight if it is a thick layer and gets wet in the filter.
Perhps there is no problem in reality, just in my head :rofl:

9 Likes

Johan, I used “raw” sheep’s wool, still greasy, well, I wanted to say that wool has a very good property, which is that it traps impurities and water vapor, and when the filter “doesn’t work”, almost all the water from the wool comes out nicely it drains to the bottom of the filter container, unlike hay or sawdust, it does not have this good quality.

12 Likes

Thank you Tone, I have a friend nearby that is a sheep farmer so I will ask him for a bag or two.
Perhaps even a thick layer of wool and kind of use a layer of hay in the bottom only to help the gasses to spread more evenly to the wool layer.

10 Likes

I can only agree I find wool to be good filter material, even if mine is from a store bought nitted blanket.

10 Likes

Obviously, it’s time to clean up the ashes, …

17 Likes

Here’s what I see Tone. Those bigger pieces are just right for your potting mix soil instead of vermiculite and the fines are perfect for water filtration.

11 Likes

Preparation of the field for planting, of course powered by wood gas, …

16 Likes

Tone, I’ve lost track. Is that on glow-plug-100%WG or on 10%diesel?

11 Likes

Hello, JO, it runs on 10% diesel :pleading_face::woozy_face: , I did not insist on the development of ignition with glow plugs, if time allows, I will install spark plugs this time, I got a complete ignition system for a three-cylinder engine, which I plan to install on a tractor.

16 Likes