Tractor with gas?

My generator with that same rating has a 1 litter gas engine rated at 30hp. So I would definitely want 30 plus hp to run that unit. But probably 40hp on wood gas with the transmission losses as well.

4 Likes

OK, thank you Dan, then it will probably be difficult with the small tractors that I would like.

3 Likes

My pasquali is tinny with a 2 cylinder diesel that would run it at 30hp. But I have no idea how you would put a gasifer on one of those tinny articulated 4wd tractors. They are great in the woods maybe charcoal would fit on one somewhere but they are really tight space wise.

4 Likes

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/009/3/3/9331-massey-ferguson-135.html
look up the four cylinder gasoline engine page. 38 horsepower to the PTO.
Ought to be enough.
PTO will be either 540 or 1000 RPM.
You generator head wants what? Four pole 1500 RPM? Eight pole lower? Twelve pole much lower?
Is that a speed reducer attached to the current generator head?
S.U.

6 Likes

Dan, by small tractors I meant MF 35 and the like, about 30 horsepower with petrol
Steve, I have not seen 135 with gasoline here, doubt it exists.
Yes, I have mounted a gearbox to the unit, so I can drive at 540rpm.

4 Likes

Jan, what are you powering with the generator?
I’ve been playing with the idea to find a big enough generator to be able to set my mill up in the woods. Don’t know if it will ever happen, or if it’s worth the effort.

3 Likes

Jan if you had 30hp with petrol you would run that generator just spin it up slow and then don’t put a heavy load on it. You can monitor how much you can pull before the RPM drop but I would guess it would be pretty linear.
We sold a generator here that was designed for 100hp but the friend who bought it only had an old farmall M he said it was fine he just didn’t put more draw on the generator than the tractor would handle.

7 Likes

This is the tractor I have sinking into the dirt.

Been sitting untouched for fifteen years because I’m too lazy to do anything with it. Anyway four cylinder Perkins diesel. Had a lot of power for a small machine. I posted a picture of it somewhere but don’t remember where. Anyway, in every way an excellent machine.

8 Likes

JO, I had the generator when I grew tomatoes and cucumbers, we often had power outages then, and froze the plants so it cost a lot of money.
Also had it when I built my cottage in Hörken.
Dan, well then I should be able to use it a bit anyway, we are starting to have problems with electricity here in Sweden, starting to cost a lot, we have had the highest prices ever several times already this year, and some fear that we will get lack of electricity, at least in southern Sweden.

6 Likes

Are you talking about market prices or retail prices for consumers? One would say that Sweden is little bit spared from common EU madness in electricity sector.

2 Likes

I think it is market prices, but it also affects us consumers, some farmers in southern Sweden use diesel aggregates because it is cheaper.

3 Likes

Mmm, i don’t want to make this political but i have my own opinion about energy prices.
There is so much money printed because of the pandemic that prices must go up.
The last spike in energyprices was by Poutin and not giving any transparancy to Brussel about the gas. If you dont you are not allowed to deliver. Ok, then not. Haha who is stupid to talk like that when winter is coming?
Gas is delivered, prices are back on almost the same level as one month ago. Now fual at the station has to drop, but I have the feeling it is not going to happen.

Jan, diesel has 8 kWh/liter. If you can make 2 kW out of it you did a good job. Is that ok in Sweden? Cant translate your article on my phone.

3 Likes

Thanks Jan, did the translation. SEK 6,49 that is without tax , transport, connection etc? Then it is the same price overhere. I am very glad with my solar pv and Atmos. Just had the yearly bill, only connection to pay, nothing more. Poutin can do with his gas what he wants, I dont need it.
Last step is woodgas for winterpower, no financial benefit (pv power is very well organised by government here), only the feeling to be independent. And the grid is never ever down. Haha, I have to shout louder and Murphy will find us.

6 Likes

Children are dependents. Says so on your tax forms. Adults need to be independents otherwise they are just children to some corporate or government entity. People should grow at least some of their own food and produce at least some to their own power and do at least some of their own mechanical repairs and building or they need to hope the government is kind and has big teats. That’s not my experience.

8 Likes

Joep, one minor correction in terms of diesel fuel, contains a good 10kWh of energy per liter, and gasoline 8.5kWh per liter. Engine efficiency is another story, good efficiency is due to the large volume of each cylinder, small combustion space, high compression ratio, low friction losses of the engine. let’s say that a diesel engine from this period would reach 30-35%, and a petrol engine 15-20% in optimal operating conditions. Mala Kubota, which drives my generator, has a rated power of approx. 6 kW at 3200 rpm, now operates at approx. 2700 rpm and develops 4 kW on 10% diesel fuel and wood gas, which is very good. In my opinion, a diesel tractor would turn out well. .

5 Likes

:smile: :smile: :smile:I like it!

Thanks Tone for the correction.

I think so too. Running every day now?

4 Likes

Tone, that’s amazing performance.
Is there a noticeable differance in rpm when the electric motor starts pushing current vs pulling?
How sturdy of a grid is needed for running an asyncron motor in generator mode? Would it be possible to run off grid, with just a smaller syncron machine in parallell?

5 Likes

Jo, a 5kW electric motor at a rated power would supply 7.2A per phase to the mains (if reactive current compensation is performed), this is a negligible “disturbance”. The speed does not increase significantly when switching to generator mode, it is only felt on the sound of the engine and the belts occasionally slip. The network can only be excavated: -if voltage regulation is performed by changing the capacitance -if the gas quantity is regulated according to the required power or it would have at least 10kWh of batteries to store or charge the electric vehicle

4 Likes

I brought this beauty today, he was nearby and the price was reasonable and I couldn’t resist the temptation. It’s not Fergie or Ford, but it’s their YU cousin, IMT 533 
 he offered to breathe wood, 
 :grinning::grinning::revolving_hearts:

17 Likes

The front sheet metal and hood look exactly like that on my TO35 as far as I can tell.

5 Likes