Tractor with gas?

Ash cleaning:

16 Likes

Lately, I have been using the tractor for driving on a macadam path where it jumps over bumps and there is a greater resistance through the gasifier. The start-up also takes a long time, but I found that my lower nozzle is clogged because it has an opening upwards, otherwise I cleaned it several times from the bottom, but the ash covers it again. Well, I decided to replace it with a nozzle with side holes.

My Fergie got lots of hearts from you , so he is obliged to report all the details,… Today I emptied the gasifier , mostly charcoal , but underneath fine charcoal and ash and bits of hardened ash , you can see on the nozzle that it has suffered high temperatures , it has done 40 hellish hours.

16 Likes

A fair bit of Clinker! That must be all the minerals melting down from the extreme heat.

4 Likes

Cody, I hope the temperature is a little lower now because there are six side holes and the temperature would spread more outward. Sucking air up towards the limit obviously causes really extreme temperatures and breaks all the tars, as the gasifier in the lower area and the pipeline are gray, but clear is this problem, the formation of minerals. Interestingly, the surface of the gasifier and the pipeline towards the refrigerator does not reach even 100 ° C, apparently the air-cooled grille does its job perfectly and cools the gas well and reflects heat radiation.

6 Likes

Perhaps the first picture and the last are of the same part, after it was damaged? Or perhaps the first picture is the new part and the last picture is the old one?
@KristijanL developed his flute pipe nozzle for the purpose of not getting too hot, so I think maybe he can help.
Rindert

3 Likes

Ridert, hello, I could not post today’s procedure separately, but I did so under the edit symbol. The first picture is the new part I installed today, and the last picture is the old nozzle, otherwise you can see the wear, but it would still last a long time. Kristjan and I talk on the phone several times and exchange experiences and ideas.

5 Likes

This is the gas I want, it burns like this for 5 to 10 minutes after stopping without adding air, this gas has no tar and is terribly caloric, when the tractor inhales it it develops power, like diesel fuel, it obviously contains a large proportion of methane (orange color), the engine needs a larger share of air, if I change the ratio, a slight black smoke appears and the engine pulls like crazy.

12 Likes

Ash cleaning …

13 Likes

Looks like your reduction is effective!

7 Likes

Unbelievable, no charcoal at all just soot, do you run on chips or pieces of wood?

5 Likes

Good proof of your design goal Mr Tone.
Pure grey ash.
The wood carbons nearly 100% converted to gas and sent downstream.

More operating hours will show you what metals in your system must be readily replaceable.
Then just like your nozzle be re-designed for in service quick changing out “maintenances”.

Ha! Ha! I once drove for 2-3 years a 1974 VW 1st generation Golf. (a German production Rabbit) It would oil foul out one cylinders spark plug every ~500 miles. So a hotter and hotter tip operating range spark plug in just that one cylinder. Eventually 750 miles before misfiring and roadside changing out. Easy to deal with a known condition, if it is easy to change out.
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

My exact thoughts, proof of concept very well completed! But now to find the weak points that need improved. I was pondering this morning how well this would perform in a mobile high demand over the road application vs it’s current “lumbering giant” configuration. Eagly looking forward to more reports Mr Tone!

7 Likes

Marcus, Steve, I’m not worthy of the title “sir”, that’s enough Tone,… Jan, I feed the gasifier with wood chips from branches of various shapes and sizes,… Marcus, today it worked to drive the mulcher, tall thick grass, brush, steepness,… it was in operation for 5 hours all the time with almost full power 20-25 ks, it worked very well, the condensation in the funnel secreted some water approx. 1.5l, and in the front of the refrigerator less than 0.5l, all a little water in total, maybe 10% of the weight of the wood, the surface of the condensation zone was at a temperature of 60-70°C, the gasifier below was at a temperature of 110-120°C, the gas at the exit was approx. 90°C and at the exit from the refrigerator 35 -40°C.

12 Likes

Ha, that’s probably about what my gasoline Fergie will run in a full year :smile: I’m glad you’re able to make use of the tractor and gasifier.
You probably saved 30€ worth of diesel right there. If you push it to 10 hours a day you could quit your job :smile:

9 Likes

Superbuild Tone, like the guys above already said. I am curious about your fuel size and preparation, like Jan said. There are realky smal and bigger pieces. Normally that would give some trouble / extra attention? Part of the design goal? Top work!

10 Likes

We beg to differ with you Tone on this very spiecal new gasifier build. It is the TS Gasifier. A new type of gasifier that you have built and proven that it works with smaller fuel with out a lot of added auto shakers and mechcanical pokers going on. Just straight downward flow. The ash content with no big pieces of charcoal. This is showing what Steve U. said 100% conversion in reduction of fuel. And this is on a diesel engine tractor. It would be very interesting to run this gasifier on a gasoline tractor. No gasoline at all.
On this build you have done a wonderful job and a new design that works.
You just need to put it through the running time paces of every day working now. Thank you for sharing it with us all here on DOW.
Bob

12 Likes

This is my fuel,… Bob, thanks for the kind words, but as I said before, hanging out with you all was the inspiration for the gasifier, thanks.

14 Likes

Just by a look at your fuel I would call this more of a biomass gasifier then a wood gasifier. A few handfuls of that stuff would very quickly clog my char bed! And yours eats right through it, very impressive :+1:

11 Likes

Careful there Marcus.
Biomass means all kinds of AG waste leftovers, too.
Some EXCELLANT, like tree fruits stone-pits. Tree nut shells.
Others absolute melting gooing crap fuel in a downward fuel flow linear gasifier.

So . . . . Tones woodie-biomass TS Gasifer.
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I agree with Marcus here 110% what you are burning is what is sorted out of the people who burn wood chips, Amazing. Tone just looking at what you are burning you have develop something in world of gasifcation no one has built. Only if the build can hold up to the heat in the vains that is holding up the charcoal reduction area. With your welding skill I think it will with no problems. This whole concept design is a game changer from what I can see. Chipped fuel, twigs now no problem. Just dry it out and use it.
Bob

8 Likes