Tractor with gas?

Hi Jan, those ignition modules are tricky to test, often goes bad, but still gives spark, often best to just replace them.
Anyways, take a clean, used sparkplug, best is a non “R” (resistor) plug, bend the side-electrode away from center-electrode, about 5mm, ground it a cylinder and pull, it should be able to at least jump this gap to be an easy starter, often if you test this with a warm coil/engine there is no spark (hard/impossible to re-start)

10 Likes

Friends, thank you for your efforts and good information, let me tell you that when I converted the BCS mower to LPG, I also increased the compression on the engine and with a normal spark plug it did not want to work at all, then I installed an NKG Lpg1 spark plug and it works like clockwork. Yes, a good spark is important.

10 Likes

Were they gapped the same? I’m just curious.

2 Likes

Sean, it was necessary to make a threaded bushing, due to the difference in the thread. It is interesting that LPG needs more energy to ignite than gasoline, or rather more concentrated energy, these spark plugs make this possible and also last a long time, because the spark plug is made of a special metal,…

6 Likes

this is the next victim for gasifying…unfortunately a diesel engine…questiones are how to fix the spark plug, what kind of spark plug, and where and how to fix the ignition system…i have a never used ducati magnet ignition from a 2 stroke water pump motor…
i see the only possibility for fixing the ignition system in front of the starter disc…??

5 Likes

Giorgio, this is already a serious project, you probably don’t really have any other option to install the magnetic ignition,… but what about the speed control, … vacuum regulator or conversion of the diesel fuel regulator to the air flap?

3 Likes

tone, i have really not much experience in these things…i thought a throttle on the engine intake like as gasoline engines, for regulation of the quantity of just mixed air-chargas…
air gas mixer after the gas filter…
spark plug instead of injector…
the goal is to go without diesel…
could this work with this motor??
the motor is 360 ccm …
as option if converting is too difficult for me i hav a 400 ccm briggs gasoline engine to substitute the diesel engine, but i must adapt the friction completely, the diesel has a conus fixing of the friction, the briggs a straight parallel motor shaft…

3 Likes

Lombardi’s diesel and gasoline engines have a similar construction, perhaps it would be the simplest and cheapest to install a gasoline engine, here in Slovenia you can get used ones for a good price.

4 Likes

Sure, it would be simpler to use the gas engine but I’d like to see a few more examples of diesels being converted. That would be valuable data. I never knew there were specific spark plugs for LPG, Tone. That’s good information to have.

6 Likes

here in italy all stuff is immediately expensive, if someone shows interest…i, without car, cannot go somewhere to see and prove, i must buy "the cat in the sack " when i need a motor, and must let send by parcel services, payment before, and one can never know if the people really like to send it.
my honda engine and some briggs engines i ordered always used in germany, on ebay kleinanzeigen, there is more shure you get your stuff…but only 31,5 kg is cheap, over is very expensive…only italian engines normally i cannot find on this site…
what site you know in slovenia for used engines?
in italy is subito.it

4 Likes

tom, this job - diesel conversion- is for experts, what i am not …so i would prefer simpler solutions, maybee with the luck of the" stupidest farmer, what harvests the greatest potatoes", i would reach the goal, but also maybee not…
maybee with the confusion our politicans create actually, will be become difficult to get some parts needed…add blue,(diesel additive) i have read , is only available for 12 days, because the producers in germany must close because of the european sanctions they cannot get more the stuff they need for production…so maybee big interruption in transports everywhere…supermarkets, parcels and so on…
how is the crisis in us?
i have read they like to stop all cash money in december in us…

4 Likes

Hello GiorgioP great DOing-it projects you are showing.

With this crisis’s in-the-Mind I can maybe help.
At one extreme are those who read everything and react to everything. And worry. “When in worry; or when in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!” Scatter brain.
The other extreme those who read nothing, watch nothing to keep their nerves settled. The Oblivious.

How in the U.S.of A.?
In this dated order . . . Y2K → 9/11 → then a “do not worry” time. Stupid. Two war fronts simultaneously. Worry. → then the 2007-08 financial crash bubble popping - predicted! will recovery come? the beginning of a Long Decline? → then build up real concerns about the worlds wheels falling off due to overreaction to 2012 → then Covid real world-wide overreactions.

The real solutions are always the way you have chosen to live.
Rural. Self-providing as possible. Always thinking, thinking, thinking of another step. Thinking of a way to do an existing step with less effort, and better results.
The core family here - wife, myself, her parents, my one rural living sister and her immediate family just before Y2K stocked ahead on kerosene for the old lanterns. Nothing more. Well, a little more. Lamp wicks and mantles were bought. More garden seeds gotten early. Foods canning jar lids gotten early.

From that I saw the actual need to power to the deep water wells, and foods freezers. So self-making minimal amounts of electricity.
Activity settles anxieties!
12vdc bulbs, compact fluorescents. . . then later developed LED light bulbs throughout. Each appliance as aged out replaced with lower wattage units.
Quick and easy to set up for 30 days outside sources cut-off; all-fall-down.
More difficult for 90 days outside sources cut offs; all-fall-down.
A year all-fall-down? A continual process refining that.
Each year a test. Fine tuning to NOT be dependent on personal stores, but using personal annual made.

You are already there Giorgio. You know this.
With this DOW group you have many understanding friends.
Now for us it is just setting up longer use systems. A second, then third fallback use system.
Ha! And Paying the current Ceasars Dues taxes to keep what we have.

Covid here made panics for toilet paper even here in our household. Just this morning out walking the dog, my body said NOW for my daily duties . . .walk back to the house with three females morning using the one bathroom with toilet? Nope. Into the bushes. We here always have something to wipe with in soft ferns and seasonal leaf’s. Year around conifer tree branch ends. Those better when wet. Cut long. And pull the correct way.
Post Covid into coming-out then it was baby food formula shortages. Older woman like my Wife astounded! “We always used human breast milk. Cow’s milk. Goat milk. Even sheep’s milk for the very sensitive babies. You Moderns are so indoctrinated, over-educated, made-stupid and dumb.”
Steve unruh

5 Likes

I don’t doubt they make a difference. It looks like they differ from the normal iridium plugs because they tip the negative electrode with platinum, and they do a laser weld somewhere, and they change the spark gap.

They also do use special coatings, but they make that claim for their other iridium plugs as well so I don’t know if those are actually different or not. I did find a research paper confirming it took A higher voltage to set off the spark for methane, but as far as research papers go, it really wasn’t that great. In fact none of the papers I just looked at that dealt with spark plugs were that great.

I do believe they work better. My question is how much better then say one of their two types of normal iridium plugs. They sell one for ‘low’ temp and one for ‘high temp’ where the high temp is more for turbocharged and supercharged engines.

1 Like

There is pretty much two types of people Giorgio. People who adapt to the things life throws at them and those that curl up in a ball and hope someone sticks a bottle in their crib. When the western world put unbelievably tough sanctions on Cuba because they dared link themselves to the Soviet Union, they could not get parts to keep their American cars running. They figured out how to make their own parts and many became probably the best shade tree mechanics in the world with no real training, because they had no other choice if they wanted to keep those cars running. If you watch video of some of the things the Asians in some of the smaller countries like Thailand, accomplish and manufacture out of obtanium it’s pretty amazing. Pretty much everyone here on the site has decided to forge their own path and find ways to sustain their chosen lifestyle. A lot of tough times will be coming for all of us. We will persevere. Keep a clean nose, watch for plain clothes. You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. B. Dylan.

7 Likes

http://www.vedbil.se/dagbok/mera/19e.shtml
diesel converted to woodgas with spark ignition, is a great work---- the guys are in the forum?

4 Likes

His name is Johan Liddel.
He did participate in two of the back then early 2000’s woodgas groups.

As the farm using topics in that articles left hand side bar shows him and his wife did later farm use that converted tractor.
Him; and others like Dutch John did show the most direct ways to on site use wood as a primary household, home, farmstead power source.
Then like our Admin Chris have re-focused to living family lives using their own grown woods.

The fact that JohanL; Dutch John and others, keep their info sites alive, payed-for, findable, says where their humanistic ethics are. They care.

But they are not world converting saviors. Not Gov’Mint shakers. Not, “Hoo-Eee! Look at me! Send money via my links. My fund-me’s.”
Instead, PathFinders for individuals. One person at a time. “I could and can do this. So you can too.”
The American, Hugh Wilson and at least 10 others I could name are the same.
Regards
Steve unruh

8 Likes

two years ago, not yet knowing our forum, i contacted dutch john, found his web-site about mikro gasifiers…he is not more active in gasifying, instead lawn mower now scythe, instead of car bicycle for loads…one becomes a slave of the technics…he says…
its a pitty, a very talented builder, high school wood gasifying…
gasifier using from my sight is liberation of big part of petrol slavery…but of course more attrctive if one has his own wood or wood source…

5 Likes

Ha! Ha! Dutch John and I are as we say here, “Brothers, from another mother.” I am sure he still house heats with wood in the SS woodstove that he made up. Kitchen cooks with wood in the modern English coal burner he modified.

I am moving our winters firewood from outsides drying to inside the weather protected covered woodshed.
At one location I use the pickup truck due to distance and hillside.
The other location I use a heavy-duty wheelbarrow 2x overloaded instead of the diesel tractor. Why, why my wife says!?
To challenge my body to not become a fat lazy 70 years old; but keep young says I.
S.U.

11 Likes

If one continues to challenge mind and body you will never truely grow old

5 Likes

my dad says the same, he picks up the axe and splits to “keep me young!” we did buy him a hydraulic splitter a few years ago for the big knarly rounds, I was the first to use it for make small splits of cherry wood chuker feedable last fall

6 Likes