Tractor with gas?

That was a fine looking rig. Is there something about Europe that they have an excess of chromium and don’t know what to do with it so they just turn all steel stainless? Was this whole thing run on that one little can of chips and was the thing with the torch at the start just of get some charcoal primed to start the reaction?

1 Like

JO once described our European mentality well. Forgot wich thread.
Althugh vastly compromised my the capitalism, our mindset is still aimed towards permanentability. It seems, since we have been scredwed for more time thain not trugh out history, we have this inprinted in our brain. Never carry all the eggs in one basket, always hage a plan B (and C, D…), make your work count. Truth is, 8 out of 10 its all overly exhagurated. But we all seem to fall for it.

Its something l did not notice so much while visiting the US.

7 Likes

Your country is much older with many changes over the years. But we are catching up fast, I see it just in my life time the changes.
Bob

5 Likes

Generator test,…

18 Likes

Now, we’re talking.
How many kW? Asyncronious with capasitors? That’s interesting. Any tips and tricks?
I resently rescued an 11kW asyncron from death. My thinking was to use it grid tied though.

7 Likes

Wow Tone. You are having a lot of fun again. Please explain exactly what happens when the belts are screaming. Just before that the tractor almost stops.

And how do you calculate the capacitors?

2 Likes

Greetings JO, first a beer and then I’ll tell you something !!! :grinning::grinning: The asynchronous generator has a nominal power of 22kW, today I seriously tested it for the first time, I loaded it with a three-phase load of over 20A (13 kW), the tractor engine rotates at approx. 1300 rpm to maintain a frequency of 50 Hz. But as far as the capacitors and the electrical connections are concerned, I can only give approximate data, the electric motor is connected in a triangle, the basic series of capacitors (3 x 138 microfarads) are connected in a star, so I can also connect single-phase consumers that need a neutral conductor, I get this from constellations. It is necessary to adjust the capacity of the capacitors to the consumption, I would not like to mislead you until I have made the appropriate measurements, let me give just one general information, that for 1 kW of power you need approx. 30 microfarads of capacitance after each phase, so for 11 kW you need 11x30… 3x 330 micro farads, but beware, 3x100 micro farads will be sufficient for an unloaded generator.

4 Likes

Joep, when the thing is thoroughly tested, I will draw a detailed electrical diagram and provide all the necessary information. You can clearly see that the revolutions on the tractor have decreased, but here too I have to increase the sensitivity of opening the throttle.

3 Likes

Thanks. Didnt understand that one. I tought the governor keeps the rpm and extra diesel is injected when woodgas is not sufficient.

I will try to wait until you are ready. Made a few tests with the lister and efficiency was a little low. Maybe the generator is to old, with the Yanmar results were better. So I was thinking about capacitors……

3 Likes

Jo, grid tied and capacitors is a bad combo. But of course you know that already :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks Tone! Very interesting, but changing capacitance for a variable load sounds complicated. I think I’ll stick to grid tied for now.

Of course Joep. I will just plug the motor in as is and let the Volvo spin it a little extra. The utility will be surpriced how well my solar produces in pitch black winter :smile:

5 Likes

Do you have any picture of how your solar panels work on a day like this?

1 Like

First pic was yesterday. Sunny until noon and partially cloudy in the afternoon. As you can see wife “of course” ran the electric oven outside production hours last night :frowning:

Second pic is October so far. Some cloudy/rainy days production didn’t even reach total consumption.

6 Likes

Ok, what does self-consumption and consumption mean?

2 Likes

“Blue” means my total consumption. Part of it is"yellow" self-consumption - means solar energy I consume instantly - doesn’t even pass the meter.
“Orange” is production sold to the utility at hourly market price.

3 Likes

Sorry Tone for messing up.

Rules in Sweden, hourly market price or your choice?

2 Likes

Joep, I don’t know, why should I apologize? Well, the comment on the use of a capacitor in the operation of an asynchronous generator or motor in the network is: - the motor has a coil and is an inductive load, which in addition to the working current loads the network with reactive current, for example the size of the reactive current in a 7.5 kW motor is more than 5A, so the unloaded motor consumes more than 3 kW and this spins the consumption meter, which we also have to pay for if we add approx. 30 microfarads of capacitance after the phase, this current is compensated and flows only between the motor and the capacitor. - when we use an asynchronous generator in the network, a rather large current also appears, even though there is no load, so it is good to add a capacitor to the generator, for example; my cogeneration generator had an unloaded approx. 5 A, when the diesel engine loaded it, the current increased to 10 A, but be careful, the digital consumption meter showed 3.5 kW of consumption and 3.5 kW of production, which in total equals 0, well, when I added a capacitor, the consumption was zeroed out and the meter only showed the produced power…

4 Likes

Tone, Joep was apologizing to you for commenting off topic on your thread.

4 Likes

Hm, I was somewhat aware of inductive/reactive power, but never realised this would happen :thinking:

With a fixed capacitance, running a grid tied connection, are there any special startup procedures I should be aware of? Does it matter if you get the motor up to speed with the combustion engine before hitting the switch vs electrically from the grid? The reason I ask is partially because this motor’s startup current is high enough to blow my main fuses.

2 Likes

Ok JO, connect 3 x 50 microfarad capacitors to your generator and turn it to working conditions, the voltage will appear, then connect a small three-phase motor to it, this way you will find out the direction of rotation of the voltage from the generator, well, try to start this little one with this cable motor with the network and you will see where it will turn, if it is the same, you have the right direction on the generator. Then you just start the generator and connect it to the mains, when the engine-generator is spinning, yes, the current is very small when switched on.

3 Likes