Tractor with gas?

In the next thread I mentioned the video about the shutdown, I increased the playback speed 10x, 15 minutes after the shutdown, flammable gas is still coming out, which even the wind does not extinguish, this is the cleanest and most calorific gas that I can produce, because it is produced without adding air, the air supply is completely closed. Even during operation, very little air enters the gasifier when it is heated to the working temperature, because due to the hot reservoir there is a large expansion of gases in the upper part.

14 Likes

“He was working so well, but you tore him apart, you crazy head”. Such and similar thoughts are intertwining in my brain, well, some effort and time must be invested to convert Fergi to 100% wood gas. “Crowd in front of the goal”, that’s how I could call the thicket of pipes, at the part where I would like to install the glow plugs and then the spark plugs. I moved the oil filter lower, I have to make the exhaust manifold differently, slightly modify the pipes from the fuel pump to the injection nozzles,… :grimacing::roll_eyes:

16 Likes

Where do you find your energy Tone? I find myself postponing any modification as long as the wood is burning and the wheels are turning. (Notice the poetry :smile: )

11 Likes

Someone has to “sacrifice” for “progress” in converting a diesel engine to wood, and let it be me. Lately I’ve been just fantasizing because there’s no right time for such work, but now that I’ve disassembled the tractor, there’s no going back, I’m very interested to see how it will behave when ignited with glow plugs, if it works, then it’s a win for the diesel motorbikes.

10 Likes

Tone,
You are a true developer/inventor. You will make changes even when it is working. :slight_smile:
Rindert

8 Likes

Tone,
I am interested. You said you will control ignition timing with glow plug temperature. Good.
Will you supply exactly equal current to each glow plug? Will there be a knock sensor? Perhaps 4 knock sensors?
Rindert

7 Likes

Rindert, I plan to connect the glow plugs in parallel and regulate the current strength according to the PWM system, first of course I will set it manually, I hope that no special electronics will be needed, otherwise I will install spark plugs.

8 Likes

Tone I had not noticed that when you turn on the gas the fan is stopped and that it is the thermal inersia of the gasifier which produces all this gas. amazing

2 Likes

Tone I’m jealous of your results. this is what the aluminum bath nozzle looks like after just one test

the droppings that we see on the side of the nozzle is a flow of aluminum. the stainless steel pipe has pierced and the bath is emptied
the bottom nozzle was covered with slag

I brushed it. It seems in good condition

6 Likes

Tone,
This is only my analysis.
Your tractor was running without pilot diesel fuel being injected at all. How is this possible? The woodgas must have been ignited by hot spots in the combustion chambers.
Now if you add hot glow plugs yes your engine will run, but those hot spots will still be there and the glow plugs will not change anything. Also if you add a spark ignition system, the hot spots will still be there, and you will still not have ignition timing control.
We must remove the hot spots somehow. Perhaps by cleaning the the combustion chambers. There are ways to do this without taking off the head.
Rindert

7 Likes

If it aint broke, fix it anyway! :grinning:

8 Likes

Here, the diesel pump is usually replaced with a distributor.
I have seen that some have changed the engine in the 35 to a petrol one, do you know anyone who fits?

4 Likes

Rindert, l think those hotspots will clear them self out by them selves. Woodgas burns much cleaner thain diesel and also leaner, there is always some oxigen left for a oxidative athmophere

6 Likes

Yes, maybe. I think it will not hurt go forward with this assumption. But the conditions in which the the engine was running before will not change very much, because he will still have to start up on diesel, at least while he still wants to operate in glow plug mode.
I imagine what the farmer I used to work for would say about this. He wouldn’t care whether the tractor was using glow plug ignition or hot spot ignition as long as it got the job done. :laughing:
Rindert

6 Likes

As a basis, I will install a bushing with an M14x1.25 thread on the combustion chamber covers, which is the standard for spark plugs, the glow plugs have an M10x1 thread, so they will be installed in a transition piece, which will allow me to easily change the ignition method later. Well, the glow plugs in the combustion chambers also ensure reliable ignition on cold days with diesel fuel, which is also a problem with these engines. If time permits, I will report the results this week, curiosity is high.

13 Likes

Sounds like a very good plan. Don’t rush the project for our sake. You cannot rush a work of art!

5 Likes

My curiosity is high too.
I wonder if we could create a new kind of ignition system based on this experience. It would be suitable only for engines using woodgas or other very slow burning fuels. I know that carbon felt wicks last a very long time in waste oil burners. But perhaps iridium or some other material would be even better. Perhaps we could call this ‘The Hot Spot Ignition System’.
Rindert

5 Likes

It would probably act a lot like the Hot Bulb engines, but perhaps the ignition timing will be on par to Diesel with the compression taking up the majority and the glow plugs igniting at the right time.

My main concern is how long will the glow plugs last running constantly? Are they rated in hours of use?

5 Likes

Yes, I would put this in the same category with the old hot bulb engines.

The glow plugs would only use electricity at startup, the same as with diesels. But the tips would stay hot, just as the hot spots in Tone’s engine did. So even without electricity the tips would continue to provide ignition.

8 Likes

I think the Model T’s used some kind of crank trigger magneto that fed separate coils for each cylinder. Not sure if the coils were to ramp up the voltage from the mag or why that would be necessary.

3 Likes