Tractor with gas?

Oh, I didn’t realise the mishap required a complete rebuild. Couldn’t you just have kept running as is? Or just patched up the burnt edge of the reduction tube? I would probably have choosen the first.
I do understand you want to experiment with new nozzles and such, but personally I’m too lazy to ever do any serious rebuild until I really need to and experimentation ideas rarely leave the thinking chair. I’m truly impressed by your total lack of “work-fear”. My hat is off.

12 Likes

I agree with JO, but I can see Tone you are a can I make it better, with this new design concepts of a gasifier build. Good quality type of craftsmanship you have. The Tone Gasifier. TT Gasifier.

8 Likes

There wasn’t much time to work around the gasifier today, well, but I managed to finish the “hot zone” and install it inside. Here are some pictures.

13 Likes

Impressive :+1:
Really “thinking outside the box”
I got a feeling this would work especially well with woodchips.

8 Likes

It’s been said that kristjan builds em fast, Jakob builds em fast, even I build them fast, but sir my hat is off when you set to your work the production flows

13 Likes

Thank you Goran and Marcus, … here are some more pictures before the start, the ash is close to the assembly parts, charcoal for the first start,… less weight - faster start, a little more space for fuel, approx. 120 liters in total.

15 Likes

I still owe you this much, and then I’ll give you peace…

17 Likes

Tone what you have achieved overall is amazing.
Externally so very, very simple and direct.
Internally so become very, very sophisticated. Flows-demand self-regulating.

Some would maybe quietly chritizize, " But none other could fabricate/weld such hearth internal complexity to be air tight! No other could operate it as efficiently as him!"

Not the point at all, eh.
You now have something that works well for you with your on-place inputs; for your on-place needs.
Any can take away as they will.

Want to make a better world? Change your own personal surrounding world first. (Not my saying. Repeated and spread as good.)
Best Regards

15 Likes

Very nice and sleek build. Again :smiley:
I totally agree with Steve and all the others that gave a like.

I hope I am speaking for everyone that we all like to see your builds and videos. Thank you and keep up the good work :+1: :blush:

12 Likes

I’m starting repeat myself a lot, but I can’t come up with anything but IMPRESSIVE.

Tone, if you don’t mind…I’m pretty sure you have told us before…and maybe I could find out again if I really put some effort into it…but what does that little valve with those blue hoses do?

13 Likes

JO , with this valve I throttle the air flow towards the vacuum pump, which is on the alternator, it sucks in air depending on the revolutions, so with a certain setting of this valve, the vacuum increases, if the engine starts to spin faster and this closes the gas valve,… and vice versa, when the revolutions fall, the hatch opens, … this is how I maintain the working revolutions.
If I say something else about the gasifier, the hot zone is made of rather thin sheet metal, the heat exchanger (vertical grate) has a 25% larger surface area, the main nozzles are approx. 18 cm away from the restriction tube (5 cm closer than in the old unit). You can feel a much smaller negative pressure than with the previous unit, so the air setting on the mixer is much more open, time will show the sensitivity and other characteristics of the unit.

13 Likes

Wow, this is a amazing gasifier build for this size of engine. A wood gasifier with the second stage charcoal gasifier. What does the upper 5 tubes do? Adding air in that part of the hopper where the pyrolysis of wood is taking place?

7 Likes

I scanned all the way back to the start of this thread to try and see how the new configuration is different from the old. This really should be condensed down to just the build itself With just comments directly related to the build and operation. It would be a valuable resource but I suppose a time consuming task. Still running a diesel on pure wood gas is a major accomplishment and should be documented.

14 Likes

I agree with Tom on this. Tone’s grate nozzle design is a radical departure from what we were doing before, and I think it needs it’s own category.
Rindert

9 Likes

Yes I agree, this is a total new type of gasifier and approach with the vertical grate preheating the incoming air for the upper nozzles.
A two stage operation raw wood pyrolysis to charcoal making good wood gases in the upper stage, and then in the lower part in the vertical grate area it becomes a charcoal gasifier making more char gases with the lower nozzle and then mix the two gases together and burning it in a diesel engine.

7 Likes

An easy way to sort these become long, long thread topics.

On the R.H. vertical scroll bar click open the Dec 2021.
Takes you the opening topic post by JanA.
At it’s bottom edge will be a left-right avatars listing of all who have commented and contributed.

Since your interest is Tone’s now evolved in-use system click on his avatar there and narrow down only then read his posts in this topic thread. 330 so far with lots and lots of pictures.
S.U.

11 Likes

A brief report on the operation of the system:

• startup is slightly faster, but not significantly
  • during operation, you can feel much less resistance, the gas is constantly strong, it drops a little only after really long idling
  • something really “strange” is happening upstairs in the gasifier, apparently large quantities of pyrolysis gases are produced, which are converted into very strong gas below, after stopping the flame is very large and burns for a long time, this happens without blowing air into the gasifier, with the previous unit this phenomenon was not so pronounced. Obviously, the upper nozzles, which are buried in the ash, cool the pyrolysis process much less and the heat is preserved more
    I am attaching a video that shows this situation…
14 Likes

Hmm, welding a thin sheet, let’s try this, aluminum sheet is light and conducts heat well,…

18 Likes

It isn’t a bad idea. I think it looks kind of cool too. You would probably get better conduction if you brazed those on.

And to go a bit over the top, a neopixel light inside each heat sink, and program them so it appears as though the top is spinning would look awesome especially at night. :slight_smile: Kind of like this:

4 Likes

Oh, so next step is “styling” /“customizing” our woodgas vehicles/equipment? :grin:
Well, who is going to be the first with some “bling”?
Hmmm, maybe i should put some blue led’s, to illuminate my shiny stainless? :thinking:

Sorry, joking, but i sort of like the idea, if anything it would certainly “sting in the eyes” on them low car/light/turbo/shiny rims-kids

9 Likes