U. S. A. Cross Country trip

No I plan to be leaving here on march 19 2020 on the western leg of the trip. I am going to have to break up the south to north from the east to west leg of the trip because I am going to be in school and will only have off a week at the end of march so in essence 9 1/2 days. I will use that time for the east to west leg of the trip. My north to south leg of the trip will probably be a week or two before or after that time but it has not been scheduled. My original plan was to combine the south to north with the east to west and combine it with argos but i will not be able to get out of school for that long. I will have three day weekends every week so I plan to use one of them to make the south to north leg of the trip. I will probably plan on going to bourbon Indiana (lemlers) for wood if they have any to spare. then maybe go up to bill’s then to the canadian border and home but that is a long way. I will probably end up north of detroit at the border then home.

For the east to west leg of the trip I will probably leave here maybe go to waynes for wood, but head for lincoln nebraska to Tom Wobig’s place where hopefully he can supply me with 1000 lbs to 1400 lbs of wood. leave from there and go to Louisville colorado (Rindert Wessling’s) and load up with a few hundred pounds of wood. With his wood and what I still have left from tom’s I should have enough wood to get across the continental divide to corvallis oregon (Dr Larry’s) . oregoncarl Said that he could cut wood and Dr Larry said he would cut wood for coming home. If the two of them can’t get enough processed I might have to drive north to mike gibb’s place or to your place. Or meet you or mike halfway or something. I want to go around and visit people but when I only have ten days to travel to the west coast and back on wood I start looking at where I can lose some miles. After that leave Dr Larry"s in corvallis Oregon and head back to Louisville Colorado where I get another few hundred pounds of wood and then maybe head on to wichita Kansas where I have an uncle who is a carpenter and cabinet maker so he could probably supply me with enough wood to get home or at least to wayne’s place and then home.

3 Likes

Jakob, To promote enjoyment over speed, I think you should budget more time for either / both trips if you can work it out with school. Its a big country! You are a fast builder and hard worker, but you may also run into snow and ice that time of year.

2 Likes

I like the Idea but there is no way I can change school schedule So I have to do it then or wait till next spring or summer.

3 Likes

Jacob,
Theres about three ton of wood here. And I don’t mind making it all into chunks if you can use it all. Just let me know how much you can use.

Rindert

5 Likes

Rindert; How do you chunk/process those larger diameter pieces? TomC

2 Likes

I have an electric chainsaw I use to cut them into short pieces, about 5 inches. Then split them into fist sized pieces with a hatchet and short handled 8 lb hammer. I can fill a 55 gal drum in 3 hours. After I get my truck up and running I’ll make a chunker. For right now I can just do it this way.

3 Likes

If you have that much wood I might eliminate a stop but I will see.

2 Likes

If Jakob makes his coast to coast tip across the USA on wood he will be the third person from central Alabama to do so . ( may be something in the water ) :grinning:

On another note . I have been running some wood through the wood burners this week . Over a hundred miles on the dakota and about 8 hours on the work truck :smiley:

Have Wood Will Travel

7 Likes

Wich is the second person Wayne?

4 Likes

Hello Kristijan

Ben Russell was first back in 1979

5 Likes

Aaah that l didnt know! Thank you.

3 Likes

I was woundering who it was too, dont know ben, though there was a russel famley liveing up here in the thumb of michigan, if there still there.

1 Like

I may need to clarify.

Ben Russell made a one way trip not a round trip .

3 Likes

Ok, I cut a couple of small cherry trees today to experiment with - the largest was about 4" at the base. Cut them into 2" rounds, then split 4 ways. Will this suit your needs? Should I keep them separate from the other stuff?

I also cut about 4x 30lb buckets of hazel. I will snap a picture tomorrow to make sure the sizing is looking okay. I found my circular saw did a pretty good job on the really thin sticks. I think I should be able to get you 1000lbs dry weight pretty easily.

I have been sort of thinking about maybe trying to make some sort of drying system out of a 55 gallon drum. I was thinking of cutting out the bottom and putting in expanded mesh, then maybe making a central chimeny out of hardware cloth or something. Then weld on some legs, and make a little fire underneath it. I am guessing it would not be a problem if the bottom pieces got a little scorched, right? Anyway, there is still plenty of time time to think about getting it dry.

4 Likes

That sounds great for drying and those sizes look great.

2 Likes

Do you have a guess on how many pounds of wood you will have with what you were planning to cut?

1 Like

An open fire beneath a barrel of wood on a mesh bottom is almost guaranteed to catch on fire
Put a 4” minimum stove pipe up through the solid bottom of the barrel
Or cut the upper 1/4 out of the side of the barrel and mount it horizontally over a small fire

2 Likes

I feel like it would depend on how big the fire was :grinning: I guess I have been thinking along the lines of “green wood would not burn” but I suppose the whole idea is for it to wind up as dry wood, and then I do suppose it might catch. I will do some experiments if i have some free time.

I am going to try and get you 1000lbs of dry wood. I am getting roughly 30lb buckets, so I am going to try and cut around 47 of them (1400lbs green weight). If I can get a drying system built, I could keep cutting later, and possibly get you more.

1 Like

I made a few chunks out of my pile. Looking at Carl’s I guess I should make them a little smaller?

1 Like

Rindert those look good maybe a little long. thanks Carl That helps me get more of an Idea of what I have to do.

1 Like