Victoria's Corner

HI stephen A i moved over here too get out of the argoes pages,are you running motors on those wood chips in the foil pan, or fixing too.how is your mixer work,i am new too small engine,and have been following keeth design for big motor stuff first,soon i may be ready too learn more on small engine ideas.THANKS MR ABBADESSA

Hi Kevin,

Agreed. This is a better thread for this discussion. The Gas Station Lite is my system for powering small engines like the GX200:

It you want to go larger up to about 600cc then you would need to go with a full Gas Station with the extra cooler.

Mr Abbadessa??? I work for a living!

Stephen

2 Likes

If you are at Argos, Jim Hart has his Gas Station Lite there for everyone to check out.

Dont know what you mean i work for a liveing, I work too make money,i fix washers dryer cars and things of this nature,building gasifiers is on my posible list when better learned. AND i am not up on small engine ideas ,do you have a video of the gas station idea,i am not at argos,wish i had truck done,caint afford petro to drive any distance on my old truck,money to fix everything,i dont have.

Kevin,

I am running the chips in this pan:

and the mixer is an Arduino reading an unheated narrow band O2 sensor:

It has worked exactly as I had hoped and is available if anyone wants one.

Stephen

1 Like

The “I work for a living” joke is something we used to say in the Army. That is all I was referring to.

Here are two old Gas Station videos:

2 Likes

I remember you saying you had an auto mixer,thats well worth the time of study,sorry i dont have money too get in too that phase of gasification at this time, i need too pay off my paypal loan of 460.00 and still need more welding rod and my mig welder needs replaceing too speed things up at the ground level,what i caint tell is how is your bridging on the gasifier unit,or is there an automatic shaker,how long will your gasifier run without bridgeing on full load of wood chips,dont remember seeing your gasifier design.OR have not had time too study it too build.THANKS

Not everyone builds in a hopper or grate shaker. Personally I don’t think you need one if your system is working right.

Hi Kevin,

The automixer is not the first thing anyone should worry about. It’s not even all that important on a pellet machine because they feed so uniformly.

Typically the Victorias don’t bridge due to the down angled nozzles. The one I have now has bridged a few times when flaring gas but as soon as I attach an engine the gas pulsation shakes the fuel down.

The shaker is there because people want to see one present, but I have never touched mine. If you keep the gas speed up it simply blows the ash through.

Here are my thoughts on building a gasifier:

This pretty much describes what is going on in the Victoria design.

Stephen

2 Likes

HI arvin O idont know if i will need a funnel shaker,i am thinking i may as when i use a 24" or up too 27.5" square hopper , I may go with 24" as that leaves room for cooling tubes and be almost flush on the sides,looks like the funnel may take up too much space unless i leave the funnel a little less angle,and that is the trade off,a shaker or more angle and less wood space. getting set too build funnel soon.leaving option for shaker in design incase it is needed,depending on the angle of my funnel works out.

HI stephen,what are you letting your gas station unit sell for,i can ask around if any one wants a unit, from time too time,you are makeing your unit more automated,that should help in time,hitting the bricks for now,or off my can,LATER

Hi Kevin,

The Gas Station Lite is $1700

Stephen

OK how long it runs on fill up and or motor size it will run,can you send me a brosheer on the unit it wood help for a sale, Not a bad price,what is the shipping too MI
Thanks

Hi Folks,

Just a reminder. This Saturday is beer and wood gas day at Square Tail Brewing in Amherst, ME. This is a rain or shine event. There is a covered former lumber drying kiln in front of the brewery(appropriate!) where I will be setting up the Gas Station so don’t worry about getting wet.

http://www.squaretailbrewing.com/

The time is from noon until 6:00 or the beer runs out.

Stephen

2 Likes

Working on it…

Hi Wood Gassers,

I am making Victoria pretty for her show on Saturday and although there is not a spot of tar anywhere, I still occasionally have throttle plate sticking on the 4kW due to sooty water flowing into the pivot and drying. When I clean the carb with a blast of carb cleaner, the solvent instantly blasts down to clean metal and frees up the throttle but it is still annoying to have to do it. To slow the problem I have a new edict: Always make the gas exit the system up hill:

There will be a pressure drop price to pay for this arrangement but it will probably be better than taking the carburetor off every few days. I hope this helps someone else.

Stephen

1 Like

What may alleviate this is to seal that shaft off some how. The pulsing of the engine is pushing the gas and this moisture out through and around the this shaft.

Hi Wood Gassers,

I had a great time at the brewery yesterday. It was fun watching all the awe struck faces when the generator started up with no gas tank attached. I had forgotten how mysterious this must seem to the average person.

I did a number of starts and stops and even knowingly did a few dumb things like demonstrating what happens when you leave the hopper lid open too long and she FEMA’s. It was amazing how fast the black junk pushed forward.

The condensate was the big surprise:

Getting the light correct was difficult to properly show the color of the water but to me it looked like dilute herbal tea. It was definitely not black, sooty, or tarry. All the water I got on my hands appeared perfectly clear. I think the clean filter is getting “seasoned” and catching more dirt. There is no noticeable pressure drop but it is definitely running better.

The 135 degree drip leg ran without any noticeable pressure penalty and caught a significant amount of water. That earned its way in as a permanent feature.

I have twelve days off and then on to the next gig…

Stephen

5 Likes

Hi Kevin,

Shipping the Gas Station Lite like the one I have been running will be $212 to Michiigan so $1912 total. Typically the current unit runs the 4kW for 30-45minutes depending on the electrical load. The Victoria will run between 5-20hp engines depending on the nozzle tips which are installed.

I currently do not have a brochure other than the web page.

Stephen

Would it be hard to add a 5 hour hopper set up that works around 300 watts pull ,without bridgeing, or how would that have too be built,Thanks PS thats about all the power i use in winter time at night with lights box fan hot water pump from garodge,water line heat tapes.THAT IS THE SET UP OPTION, I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR.BBB,THANKS