Video clips from youtube

translating anyone ? Jo ?

4 Likes

They are talking about the use of gengas at Stockholms tram railroads who also did control the busses.

They used wood chips and coal and some metan gas compressed on bottles.

Stockholm had Its own woodgas doctor as the accidents was very high, there was also piles of sot everwhere and people did cough up quite lot of coal/sot dust.
And some explosions when refueling the hoppers.

They had matches to ignite the gasifiers but it got too expensive so they used makeshift torches instead.

Give me a times tamp if you want to know something more specific in the video.

9 Likes

Just adding to Jim’s excellent translation.

They mention the evolution towards wood in public bus traffic. Already 1942 all use of charcoal was abandoned in Stockholm. Wood was a cheaper and easier to come by.
The bus trailer hoppers shown were good for 6 hours of driving and the Hornberg establishment alone had 10 parallell lanes for refuling.

I noticed the setup shown is very similar to mine. Gasifier - cyclone - wet dropbox/condensation tank - climbing cooler - cork filter. Only difference I use hay instead of cork.

Edit: 10:30 pm. Shut down the gasifier 20 min ago :grin:

8 Likes

Is this the other guys that drove acrost the usa on wood. Or maybe its that alibama hill billy water.

5 Likes

With darkness and lousy weather I let myself being entertained by Youtube.
Most of us know very little about the rest of the world. I find this English guy very intersting. He is traveling in former Soviet republics, visiting ordinary people in towns and villages.
This video is from Belarus. I’m really impressed by this guy’s videos and his skills in the Russian language.

10 Likes

Thanks, really makes you realize how blessed we are. Wonder if the Belarus tractors are still being made there. There were lots of them imported to the US 20-30 years ago.

4 Likes

To the people in the US than want to live off grid— go to Belarus. THAT will really test you. I enjoy U-tubes, but I think I have seen all of them that are on subjects that interest me. You watch stuff about WWII and I watch Cowboys and Indians—I wonder what the people that are now 10 to 20 will watch when they get to be 60 to ----- ? Those star wars things and sci-fi? TomC

5 Likes

I just checked. They are still being made.
We have a few old ones here too, but they weren’t considered very good quality. Cheap though.
I’ve driven one once, helping a friend. I wasn’t impressed. My 1947 Fergie feels as tight and firm as a BMW in comparence.

Haha, I really shouldn’t laugh, but that’s funny. Not about going off grid, but rather your views.
Tom, I’m sorry but you kind of fit our caricature mold of the American attitude :smile:
I agree Cowboys and Indians is interesting history, but keep in mind USA represents only 2% of the world’s surface area. This guy is not only traveling in Europe and Belarus. He is meeting ordinary people and making videos from all over Asia and South America.

9 Likes

Ordonary americans dont like any wars they been in, We should have went after hitler much sooner in my veiw of history. Wars rummers of wars, peice peice and there is no peice, man has a waring nature.Still the end is not yet.Still hard too beleive people still alive too talk too that seen the after shocks of them Wars. i think we should have some of our polititions over there seeing what war and nuclear desaster looks like from the eyes of the wittnesses. Solvern nations.

4 Likes

I was born before the war and am old enough to remember how the US was during that time. No fighting in this country, but every one gave to the war effort. That was when women stopped being ‘‘house wives’’. Dad, closed his store and opened a machine shop with about 15 women and 3 or 4 guys to old for the service. He had 3 gas station. He closed two because gasoline was rationed and we could not get rubber from Malaysia. All the car factories stopped making cars for the public and built planes, trucks, and cars all for the government. For Christmas I got a toy gun and holster; the holster was made of fake leather and came apart with my first ‘‘quick draw’’ and the gun was made of sawdust compressed into a mold–it broke the first time some one said ‘‘drop your gun’’.
Then the war was over and the good times started!! During the war every one had jobs, but nothing to buy, so they had money. We had gas for trips and new cars and tractors, and silk stockings for those ladies that had been working up to their elbows in grease.
Those were good times an I was about 10 years old. That went on until the mid 60’s, so I grew in the best of times. That is where this character with an American attitude comes from.
The years of the ‘‘western movement’’ was actually a short period of time in our history, a lot of stories were told and movies made. (part of me growing up was going to the theater, Sat. afternoon after delivering newspapers and getting in for a tin can to watch a ‘‘western’’.)
As the saying goes the US is made up of immigrants, so we have had a lot of names of people that to English speaking people are strange and impossible to read and pronounce. Most people with these name have changed them so the English speaking people can pronounce them. Example: the man who rents my land pronounces his name Shavina— but it is spelled Krazwena. I was mostly impressed when the moderator read the names of those killed from the town.
When I get caught up, I want to find more of his YouTube. TomC

10 Likes

Very interesting, Tom. We’re certainly the lucky ones, both of us. Sweden got spared during WW2 and wasn’t bombed into gravel, like many other countries. We got the same head start after the war. 50’s, 60’s and first part of 70’s were the golden decades with nothing but optimism. Slowly downhill ever since.
You see? I was just about to start complaining. Then I remembered the videos I just watched. We’re still way better off than most people. Seems I constantly need to remind myself :smile:

6 Likes

Right. And it still is better then the seventies or whenever. Look what internet brought us. Everything is possible now.

Just crossed a bridge in Moerdijk. Some polish luitanant was shot there in august ‘44. 34 years old. What a lives are wasted ans still are. Thanks to the allies we are free now!!! Never forget!
It cant get better then now.

6 Likes

Joep; I don’t think you must be old enough to remember the late 40’s, 50’s and early 60’s or you would not be saying;

TomC

1 Like

Tom, I felt a touch of defence mode reading your speach. I think I’d better tell you why I found it funny that you rather watch “Cowboys and Indians”.

When I was a kid I sometimes slept over at my grandparent’s place whenever both of my parents went to work. My grandfather was born 1910 and he loved old Westerns. His favorite was “Tom Mix in Death Valley”.
Before I went to sleep he told me the stories over and over again and he claimed he was there, beat all the bad guys up in saloons and whatever.
My grandfather was a big guy and at 5-6 years of age I had no doubt he was telling the truth and I was mighty impressed.
That’s the kind of memories that made me laugh. I saw him before me, shouting and waving his fists in front of the TV, while grandma shook her head :smile:

6 Likes

JO No defense meant. I am proud of the times I lived in and the life I led. It makes me feel good that you are proud of your country and life. Some times the things that are written or that we hear an not at all the truth. TomC
Tom Mix was a radio broad cast when I was a kid and after my paper route, I layed down beside the radio and listened to Tom Mix, the Lone Ranger and others.

4 Likes

You are right. I am from 68. After the war everything went up. Even in the seventies with the first oil crisis.

We live right in the line were ww2 god on hold late 44. Every year we talk to English American or Canadian people that were direct or indirect related to the fighting that took place. Lots of Germans burried alieve in the dikes overhere. Waste of lives.

4 Likes

Sorry. This can be totally misunderstood. I mean, if people dont make war, there are no lives wasted. I am very gratefull for the help our parents got.

6 Likes

I agree most (if not all) wars is a huge waste for humanity.

I have a few close german friends and know one who grew up in ww2.
So I have got to hear many stories of life both in the war and the time after.

7 Likes

My dad had an old world war vet neyber,that was a notzi Hitler POW ,VERRY SAD STORYS IF YOU WERE ONE LUCKY ENOUGH TOO HERE THEM.Those people put that experiance far in the back of there minds.Im sure they felt lucky too be reserected from those camps.

3 Likes

Woodgas powerd roadster and a gas bag car.

It looks like the roadster is fueled with chopped logs?

4 Likes