Videos not necessary wood gas related

Good Morning All.
I recently complimented JanA., about how internally oil clean he was keeping now his engine in his woopdgasses Iller loader/hauler.
Here Is why the soots in the oil MUST be gotten out:

at 2:10 he says, " . . .because of the amount of (combustion) soot past the rings . . ."
at 2:23-2:41 he further says, " . . .get the abrasive soot out with the oil change . . . to not (prematurely) wearout the timing chain links . . . "
later on he shows soots/oil cooked carbons clogged oil feeding screens to the two turbo chargers and oil powered cam phasers twisters. He even shows the turbo feed screens being flows clogged sucked flattened.

And these blow-by combustion soots are now common on gasoline engines turbo-charged, Direct GDI into the cylinder Injected systems.
Most here using easier simpler engines. Still. Just like JanA obviously has,
change out those oils once they soots accumulated darken.
I said screw timed oil changes, years ago: darkened oil is contaminated loaded-up, and heat darkened changed to the limit. Get it Out. Get it OUT!
Ha! Ha! 3x, 4x longer useful engines life since.
My wife’s now 197,000 Ford engine I am now having to change oils at more frequent intervals due to age use wear past the rings combustion blow-by.
Expected that.
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Diesel fuel went bad , real bad !

10 Likes

Filler neck rotten out on a Ford Bronco I was using as a plow truck to clear snow about 25 years ago. I plowed for two years with a gas can fastened to the hood. Found out just how much fuel you burn up pushing snow. About two gallons to clean a half mile of road four passes. Smart is better than rich any time Wayne. :grin: Of course for me there is thin line between smart and just cheap and lazy.

9 Likes

Somewhat woodgas related, they do run boilers on waste material for the kilns, but a oregon based sawmill operation, not unlike the one just a few miles from me. Im fascinated by these big mills and the computer operations in selecting the maximum usable board footage from a log

12 Likes

They be really rollin coal here.

8 Likes

Who Knew?

8 Likes

Thanks Tom! I wasn’t going to watch the video, then noticed: “It’s the Bee, watch this!” :rofl:

5 Likes

Sometimes I wish we had a “Haha” reaction here on the forum!

6 Likes
9 Likes

Looks like something Goren would have. I think it’s in Russian. The tracks caught my eye. I wish I could understand what he is saying about them.

10 Likes

It looks like they are made out of old tires, or a long belt. I think what he is saying (and I will be corrected) is they need to fit between the treads of the tires for grip, and they need to be wide enough to not hit the sides of the tires, and the belt they attach to is smaller then the radius of the tires so they don’t slide off. I think he also had an issue with the bolts he used to attach them with were rubbing the tires.

3 Likes

OK. If you have some time to waste. I’m imagining she is the Arkansas, American, female Goran. This disassembly and reassembly looks to be in real time without the clean up and paint. I have spent more time than that just trying to get linkages put back together. The best part. Hardly any blah blah blah.

6 Likes

Here is an interesting video that explains a lot about how our modern world has evolved to exclude out what makes sense.
Why We Can’t Have Small Trucks Anymore

Pay particular attention to the time-line chart show at 2:20 minutes.
Then watch/listen to the “new, better” carrot-on-a-stick way changed to; shown at beginning at 2:31.

By the way my wife bought new a 1984 Ford Ranger pickup four cylinder, MT power nothing.
Second engine later and one b-i-l driving it later I got it and was driving it 1995-2000. It was teaching me what I could and could not do with feedback carburetors and Ford DuraSpark II ignitions.
My fathers second wife (European, and once very European bias using VW water-cooled) is on her second Nissan Hardbody pickup still now 17 years old. Her first became her daughters first vehicle.

When rules and regulations are set up by people who do not believe in diminishing returns on efforts . . . or with hidden agendas . . . we all then suffer from lack of new choices.

9 Likes

My brain is too small to make sense out of any of this.

4 Likes

The ‘secret hidden agenda’ is really stupid simple. Everytime oil prices skyrocket our economy tanks. It requires a bunch of bailouts, and possibly we have to go to war. It costs trillions of dollars. There were no other options, so the easiest thing to do is find a viable alternative. Given the world has 44 years of proved oil reserves left, and consumption is increasing, it means the price will go up, and the cycle will continue and even get worse. It isn’t the availability of oil that tanks the economy, it is the cost so even if there are trillions of barrels in small pockets of oil, and the cost of extraction is 400/barrel, it still tanks the economy.

Since american automakers make trucks to offset the mileage they had to sell small cars and small trucks at or below cost. The small trucks sold at a loss were the s10s and Rangers. It is easier to build a small vehicle that gets 40mpg and then average it with the truck that gets 12, so you end up with 26 for the fleet mileage, so you don’t ever bother to improve the truck mileage. To get them to improve truck mileage, we came up with the footprint rule. The 2023 silverado gets better gas mileage then the best S10, and with fewer NOx emissions which degrade mileage numbers. So the new silverado is probably more equivalent in mileage to a citation tuned to reduce NOx numbers.

Selling vehicles at a loss when they cost 1B to design and test is a great recipe for bankruptcy so it is pretty stupid to penalize american companies more then foreign companies. Then have to come up with a huge emergency bailout package. And people complain because we tied their arms and legs up and they can’t make a profit which deteriorates the value of their brand.

The new CAFE rules are a slightly different view. WE could care less what the individual companies do, we really only care about what the entire US fleets overall fuel use and emissions are. So we came up with a credit system so Stellaris wants to build v10 trucks they can, but they have to buy credits from another company or pay a fine. The credits are good two years prior and 5 years after because the auto industry fluctuates.

The credit system also gives incentive for not detuning a vehicle for incremental step changes. Because there was no incentive for improving mileage beyond the EPAs minimum requirement, automakers literally detuned vehicles to make sure they could get step improvements over the lifetime of the vehicle platform. Which is really stupid if the goal is emissions or fuel economy because only the last year of the vehicle platform the car is actually as efficient as they designed it. If the goal is a reduction in oil consumption, that makes absolutely no sense.

Once automakers are profitable, they can make changes to their company without having shareholders revolt against them.

Corporate America is all over EVs especially where they do a lot of delivery. Amazon, fedex, beverage companies, etc. BECAUSE the price of electric is more or less fixed. There is no sudden fluctuation in oil prices that makes you go from having a great quarter to scrambling around trying to prevent a major loss overnight like what happened in 2006. So even if it costs more overall, which it doesn’t, they can justify the extra cost because they will keep their job. Which in turn helps pay down investments in battery factories, which can lead to lower prices over the next decade if nothing else changes.

Does that make more sense?

1 Like

Well that was a well thought out, reasoned statement Sean Omalley.

First you direct quoted me accurately.
Then you say I said ‘secret hidden agenda’. I did not say secret.
There are a huge differences between conspiracy theories and hidden agendas.
A conspiracy as its name says requires collusion among all of the major parties involved. Such as the once predominate Seven Sisters Oil companies doing everything foul to keep any others from sitting at their table.
Hidden agenda is like General Motors offering to municipalities that they could run their light-rail, and trolly car systems more cheaply and efficiently IF they were instead given the licenses and allowed to buy their rolling stocks and tracks systems. Their agenda was actually as well proven was to run these into the ground, broken, with poor service and replace them all with their own made rubber wheeled, ICE transit busses. GM being; as they began and evolved, was just being GM. Get Big, stay Big, and buy out all possible, and eat up all competition.

So you speak from the stand point of BIG, top down controlling.
I speak as is appropriate from the stand point of the individual DIYing their life solutions.
What can I make from the once-new; or craft from scratch myself.

Heck of a lot better capability from taking a once was expense purpose designed and built agricultural tractor versus one of those old Jeep or mini-car conversions into a kind’ sorta tractor done in the 1940’s and 1950’s.

So as an end user there is a heck of a lot of practicality and usability in small full framed load carrying small pickup trucks.
Use a minimum of a 2000cc to 2700cc inline ICE engine, with a true gear type 4 or 5 speed transmission and you are there. Simple. Repairable.

Go back and actually watch to the end that YouTubers full presentation and he postulates a manufacture could by-pass step-aside like Tesla did, the majority of the Top-Down restrictions and mandates by going full EV on a small pickup platform.
Bill Schiller’s 1990’s EV conversion pickup he sought out and bought only done now 21st century.
That big flat area cargo bed the same as the Tesla’s virtually full floor battery bank.

Now here is the real trickle down to us common folks reality. The US fleet of roads mobile vehicles can really only be new replaces at a rate of of between 8-11% annually. It’s in the money and cost of that money able to be committed to a continual replacement.
So for us common folks what does 7-10-15 years later trickle down has to be still useable, repairable. Have the parts and tools available to do repairs. Have the information available to how the factory designed and programmed its systems. And here Tesla’s business model sucks big time.

You made the example about the new Chevrolet Silverado four cylinder full sized trucks. I watched a video of proud GM engine engineers showing what they had made. I watch RV trailer tow guys reviews on the (when new) capabilities of these in real world conditions versus the recent and current V-6, V-8 gasoline and deisel trucks in comparison. Did well.

Now that 7-10-15 later still usability? If it follows too many US vehicle manufactures previous turbo-boosted wonders . . . you’ll be using the larger simpler engine vehicle platforms. The once was new Wonder engine and transmission systems clapped-out, stresses worn beyond use. Too expensive to restore. The cheapest to use by far is the system that just runs and runs and runs NOT needing restoring!!

So HERE is the agenda I referred to . . .
The Vehicle manufactures do not and never have wanted us to be driving their previously made vehicles out to 10, 15, 20 years. Past once a 3-5 years they’d losing too many sales. Have to idle their factories. Now that has with actual real vehicle sub-system improvements moved out to 7-10 years.
The various Governments regulatory agencies do not want us keeping vehicles on the road past 10 years. They want us to be using the more newest vehicles with the newest emissions and safety standards.
I could go on and on for pages with the 1980’s, 1990’s changing standards mandated to force the manufactures to get the sub-system better and better. One example serves: spark-plugs. Once needed to change out annually just as a matter of course to keep out of mis-firing. Then a 50,000 mile mandate was made. First higher energy capability ignition systems. Then better plugs in platinum tipped. Why? The standard had then changed to 80,000 manufacturers responsibility. And now onto Iridium tipped. True 100K capable.

I’ll shorten. None of those previous change mandates was to eliminate the private ownership of personal vehicles.
The new evolved 21st century agendas are.
Have us all living in rack-'em; stack-'em; squeeze together clusters and Eco-Villages. Where public transit can be made to work.

True Rural living you need personal owned operated and maintained vehicles. Period.
Henry Fords Model T proved that. Andrea Citrons common Rural folks vehicles proved that. The early LandRovers & Jeeps sold and used in Africa proved that. Then the Toyota’s reproved in Africa and outland Australia. Even the later 1980 and 1990’s Suzuki’s sold and used there proved that.

And this is why the credit trading system sucks big time. And always has. It allows the bigger hungrier, aggressive fish to eat up and displace all of rest. Turns the majority into just a commodity to feed and serve that scrambled to the Top-Tier.
Commodities trading is a fixed game. Made even HillaryC. too nervous to play long term she said. She learned well. Do not serve the games fixers. Become one.

Steve Unruh

6 Likes

I apologize for implying you said secret. It actually it from other left and right conspiracy theorists. I actually don’t separate secret and hidden. Simply because they are redundant. If it is secret, then it is intended to be hidden, and if it is hidden, it is secret.

I am trying to explain the actual policy and the actual logic behind it. It is actually LESS top down control because there is less oversight. There are no emissions to monitor from an EV, any emissions are at the other of the wire to charge the vehicle. Then couple that with the solar panels, and there are no emissions. So if you charge at home, with your own solar, the Federal policy is fine with that and in fact encourages it because it is a check and balance against higher utility prices.

People were running diesel generators in california and hawaii to avoid the high utility costs.

The trick is the policy lowers the overall cost and improves the alternative technology -over time-. So you want to be a DIYer and self-sufficient. The easiest solution is solar, and batteries but it isn’t cheap to get started but the price of solar panels and newer chemistry batteries has plummeted so it actually pays for itself. That single point is a HUGE change from 15 years ago.

IF you want to DIY a solar install you can, and you will save a LOT of money. You can probably save more money buying used panels. Used batteries are dicer but there isn’t some rule against using old car battery packs or rebuilding them. The main problem is there aren’t that many on the market yet, because cars last an average of 11 years in the US, so go back 11 years, and you will see 53k were sold out of a vehicle market of 14.5M in the US.

It is certainly a different skillset then using an ice engine. And they haven’t completely standardized yet, so things will change for a bit.

The trick is -over time-. Which is where the far left is making a mistake by trying to push everything when the technology isn’t ready. Which is probably intentional to push their social agenda, but it causes unnecessary friction and conspiracy or hidden agenda types of backlash. They are actually doing MORE harm then good to the energy policy, emissions and ‘global warming’. Because at the end of the day NO ONE wants to pay more for less, and trying to bully a policy with technology that is new really pisses the mainstream off which makes them go in the other direction. A lot of it is driven by look at europe… aren’t they great!, but ignore all the crap like europe imports 85% of its energy. Or look at Norway, and the size of rhode island, which has like 5M people instead of 325M. There are ideals they are trying to copy that don’t make sense for a different situation. And they never add up Europe, they just cherry pick pieces and parts that support their manifesto. At the end of the day, our laws are different so the strategy is different.

While the business strategy was more straightforward. The cost effectiveness and why cities or the private owners bought into it is pretty straightforward as well.
Buses cost less, and the government was already paying for the roads. Subsidizing the trolley system in most cases didn’t make sense. Most weren’t profitable on their own. A lot of them were already in disrepair, and they weren’t standardized so to repair them. They had to make custom parts.

Then to repair the road or the sewer/water lines plus the track was more expensive, and if you had to shut down the trolley for 3 months to do the work. There were also derailments and such. The people that relied on the system, got upset and it was a political nightmare. With buses, you can easily jog them over a block around the construction, and it is still is a political nightmare. Then the outrage over replacing with buses, the politicians said ‘oh it’s GMs fault’.

There are multiple sides to every story, but it was mostly because from both GM and the political side, they were a headache to deal with and in most cases weren’t profitable. Most public trans today is also heavily subsidized.

1 Like

Never heard of Poor Man’s Fiberglass before I came across this video. I’m going to try this out. I hate working with regular fiberglass mat and two part resins. If this is at all durable I can think of a lot of uses for it around here.

2 Likes

Never heard of it either but it looks like a decent idea.

2 Likes

I have a collection of aluminum scrap I have been meaning to do something with for a while. I found this project very interesting, but I not going to build a guitar however it goes to show there are really only the limits of your imagination for what you can do.

5 Likes