Videos not necessary wood gas related

Thank you. While the video wasn’t what I thought it was going to be… I got like 5m into it and started googling for plant frequencies and ended up finding out plants do emit sounds. (an of course they also respond to sound, but i didn’t know different sounds affected different parts of the plant growth either. )

I will try to watch the rest when my attention span is a bit longer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The money quote “lamborghini said ‘our customers don’t care about straight line performance’”

Hopefully the next video has where they drop the z06 engine into the eray.

1 Like
3 Likes

@tcholton717 How long before you become a Qi Master?

4 Likes

I’ve studied Korean martial arts since I was 32 Sean. I still use a lighter to start fires. I have seen different people do some amazing stuff though.

7 Likes

well you have a head start on me… I cant keep all the asian martial arts schools straight, and have far more interest in the medicinal herbs they use. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Company in Canada, named Edison Motors, is starting to work on retrofit kits for older semi-trucks. Uses a Caterpillar engine as a dynamo to power the electric drivetrain. This reduces the size of the battery necessary and adds travel distance.

They basically made a Big Rig Owens Magnetic

6 Likes

Hi All,
to not further disturb on the other engine project topic here is a gleamed out of many videos I’ve watched now of a practical human pedal powered make electricity project.
A very, very good fabricator guy as he was able to make it K.I.S.S., and cheaply.
Showing the usage of a more efficient ,recently made available three phase charging head.
AND it shows three different guys of different body types, and conditioning levels pedaling for watts.
The real bicycle-guy: lean, endurance toughened, and trim.

As a front drive system it could be re-jigger on that wheel to blow some cooling air over the Pedaler-watts-maker. At 100 produced watts electrical made level, I’m guessing a need to cool off 100 heat watts generated in the human Pedaler-watts-maker.
S.U.

Teach them young about personal sweated make you own power for freedom and independence.

7 Likes

Watched this video yesterday. Very interesting since 48 V is the kinda standard in batt packs. Easy powercontrol with the Victron mppt. Did anyone build this?

6 Likes

Yes I saw this on my recommendations listing JoepK. I’ve personally done this type set ups since the 1970’s.
Some really leaps forwards possible now with better auto alternators; the split separated voltage field from the output voltage (Mobile Bob, 2008 on the MicroCoGen, 48 volts bank charing with 12-24 volt rotor fields controlling); and especially with the solar/wind wide range inputs MPPT charge controllers now.

I did not view this until you put this up because I knew some of it would be fingernails scratching on a blackboard to me.
This guy is smart and a very good fabricator. He is a Real-Deal; put my builds to working for me and my family, my kindda’ of guy. I like him a lot.
But mechanically he is still learning.

Re-view closely from 42:00 on to see what from my own early experiences would have predictable.
The whole assembly is horizontal still walking. That is what single slant cylinder IC engine wants to do. Better than a vertical single cylinder wanting to hop up and down.
The separately mounting the engine on rubber isolators was a big mistake.
Just tightening the belt then made the engine twist. Belt alignment then lost. Running un-loaded, loaded then look at the engine shaking torquing twisting and the belt then flapping. Heavily loaded then even the separate alternator angle iron mounting from belt slapping was then shaking the alternator. Metals and bolts will work fatigue and fail in hours of actual usages.

Better found practices?
Mount the driven alternator meatal base with the engine IF using micro-groove belts. Micro-groove belts without a spring loaded constant tensioner, and just Armstrong tighten will be have excessive side pressure power pulse shocking of the engine crankshaft bearing and the alternator bearings. Service life’s of all will be shortened.
A micro-groove belt energy transfer loss is ~1-2%. IF set up properly. One of the reasons they have become to be used. The other reason, in tight engine compartments allows for a much shorter many driven accessories “stacking”.

A multi-Vee belt drive if set up properly only loses 2-3% energy. Those belts can shock absorb much better. Then you can long heavy wooden plank board easy-way separately mount.
This is superior as you can then with individually mountings redrill for different engines and alternators/generators heads as found, scrounged. Or priorities change.

Wood is Good. When boats and ships evolved to all steel and iron they learned to keep mounting the power vibratory makers onto wooden beams mounting. Wood is resilient. Can be self-dampening. Isolating. Reduces the noises transferring.

The efficiency with each component and drive transfer system can be measured by heat building up at that point; or in that component.
System used, loaded. Then not powered. Physically feel for heat in the belts. At the pulleys. Same-same as you should be doing at electrical power transfer points.
S.U.

10 Likes

And another stake into the heart of the lie that a human cannot possibly make sustainably more than 50 watts electrical:

The other video systems I’d put up in their youtube comments got slammed for using a rubber wheel to hover board tire friction drive. And the other slammed for using a power loss belt drive.
For using higher RPM speeds needing generator heads.
Had to be power wasting, suckers some of the the commentors said. Not really, says I.

Well here is a narrow roller bicycle chain drive then. The most efficient power transfer known. Far less than 1% energy transfer loss.
An only 1-3, 1-4, pedals to generator head ratio. Human power with legs, your second Heart-Blood-Pumpers is best, longest endurance, at a target heart rate of 60-70 pedals rpm.
System set up to using a very, very superior efficient large diameter permanent magnet axial converted to three phase motor as the generator.
The downstream components limited to under 300 watts. He gives cycling rates wattages within the video starting at 8:00. Level ground equivalent was ~150-220 watts electrical output charging.

So . . . collect up old bicycles. The last 20 years of variable speed cast off appliances. Treadmills and other exercise machines castoff equipment’s.
Note he fabbed this all by hand and eye, with simple hand and handheld power tools. No Lathe. No milling machine. No 3-D printer.
You all need to be developing these make from cast-offs imagination, and skills now; while Life is easy. For times post-event, or economy going downward spiral, when Life has become hard.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Hey guys. Here’s couple of differently-done make-your-own electricity DIY projects. In the past 50 years I’ve made up quite a few small engine/auto alternator systems.
But never actually using the whole lawnmowers bases as these two fellows did.

The reason to use a small engine instead of just the whole car up on wheel blocks is for fuel use economy.
From the first fellow learn that using the whole push mower deck and all saved himself a lot fabrication. And he then had wheels portability. Learn from him that you CAN make up a useable V-belt driven pulley by welding or brass brazing it to the existing wrong-for-you shaft sprocket/multi-groove pulley.
From the riding lawn mower guy learn that he DID make this allowing his rider lawn mower to still be a lawn mower. And he did set up his system to do just as I say I will longer term fall back onto. Downed vehicles multiple 12vdc lead acid batteries. Same. Banked up.

From both, watch carefully for just what you’d need to have ahead of time in an all-fall-down to make up useable systems for others. INVERTERS. Meters. Cabling ends.
Could be your values barterable skill. Become your areas Generator-Man. They can’t all come live with you!

One of two kept stored front axles and decks worn out old rider lawn mowers I keep as somedays. 17.5 hp electric start, pressure oiled/w oil filter, Kohlers singles. 490cc. Woodgasable.

The alternator is modern ~70% efficient 120 amp one from our Hyundai Tuscan. Picture hardly shows the two extra turn on-off external and voltage sensing terminal versus the old 1970’s 40% efficient one-wire alternator that he used. Get used aftermarket manuals with diagrams ahead for your own vehicles. Know those extra alternators terminals. Use them.
Hole saw out the center of one of the mower deck pulleys and weld or braze it on to that Mando’s small micro-groove pulleys front rim.
Get your pulleys set-up for best of an engine’s slower 2400-2800 RPM; and driven alternators best power curve and internal fans cooling min of 4000-5000 RPM to really save on the noise, wears, and fuels used.

Sure. I seen guy systems, they actually did step by step build up for whole house integrated PV; Generators; and even woodgas. $15,000-$30,000 spent out. Wonderful. Power out long term how many others do you want to take in, eh. Set them up, after the need, with something to keep them at-home. Using their own stuff, mostly. Just being neighborly.

Hey. Here is how do something DIY, today. Do this weekend. then Learn-use. Improve later. Or for a J-I-C system, maybe just use it KISS, basic.

Use the Projects Farms guys videos to let him guide you to the bests needed drill bits; hole saws; stepped bit small holes maker. Other seen used tools. A fellow could make these conversions up no-welding. No Lathe. No Milling machine. No plasma table. No 3D printer.
Enjoy these. Imagineer in real life. Not Net-life.
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I ran my twin cylinder B&S 18HP on charcoal and ran a alternator from the pto pully on the back and it worked like a charm , i might embarrass myself one day and put the video of me running a whole heap of engines one after the other on charcoal from my early days when everyday was a adventure to see what i could run next .
The one thing i will say about the ride on lawnmower video is the guys battery bank , its wired incorrectly and his battery’s will die sooner rather than later, he is charging from the first battery and running the inverter from the last battery but they are wired in parallel and doing so they are not balanced they should be wired in halfway so that each battery gets a balanced charge or discharge .
halfway wiring

Dave

11 Likes

I love this kind of thinking. You all should be thinking of life in terms of what can be easily bartered in terms of goods and services as Steve suggested. The Central banks are pumping out phony money as fast as their computers can made digits right now trying to prevent more banks from failing. Countries outside the EU, UK and US are weaning themselves off the dollar as fast as they can. It is quickly failing as the worlds reserve currency. They will try and force their CBDC (central bank digital currency) on you but it won’t buy any goods from China or other BRICS aligned countries. Until the currency collapse is complete and a new gold or asset backed economy can be established you will find getting by from day to day will require barter. It would be good to game this out before you are in the thick of it. This summer is going to be a hot one.

5 Likes

Good catch on the 12vdc batteries string wiring Dave.
The same point I was trying to make on DO learn the purpose of your own vehicles other terminals on their charging alternators.
Then you can control command turn them on; or off for unloading engine starting purposes.
You can then at your own chosen best point of sensing give a system voltage to best preserve the batteries life’s.
The ONE-WIRE as he is using has many downsides in long term usage. And is a specialty buy-out ahead of time. He has installed it not-the-best with the cooling fan removed. Hot summer loaded usage after a hurricane or tornado and it will cook out that alternators internal voltage regulator and power diodes.
Any late model double internal fans unit will be better than the any one of the old one external fan units. Better cooling. They are much heavier with more magnetic iron and steel to avoid magnetic saturation limitations. They have double ending ball bearing so will tolerate being ran vertical shaft better.

But still, very neat he made up an already owned rider lawn mower as a fall-back bulk charger then. Keeping the mower still able to mow. Tow around trailers.
Regards
Steve unruh

6 Likes

I have over the years built a couple small preasure washer failed pump engines coupled to alternator for remote battery charging it works out as easy to build cheap for parts specially when you have piles of 3 wire chev alternatirs laying around. I think i was making them for around 30$ total. My only real gripe with using these small engines is they are so dang loud! In a less then ideal power outage not to terrible concerning you neighbors definitely will know who has power running and in a perfect world that is fine as neighbors should be part of your trust group. But in say a suburb or city, that noisy generator could paint a potential target on your back. In my last generator fix video i mentioned the noise level. There is some mitigation that can be done of course, but in my 2 cents nothing beats these new inverter generators that are near wisper quite for unseen power making in a grid down situation.

But those are also aimed at direct power production not battery bank charging. Solar panels are pretty hard to camouflage but they are the king of silent battery bank charging. Close second is some form of water wheel/turbine generator.

As Steve already stated, play around and discover now. Improve on design, tweak and store parts. Cause when shtf, the law that says you cant divert stream water to make power isnt going to matter. But having power to keep food frozen longer will matter to keeping hungry mouths fed.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Pretty sure this is a crap yourself moment. 300mph in a half million dollar car.

3 Likes

Here a guy I stumbled onto recently doing good works:

DavidPoz is a 21st Centry Army? Marines? veteran. Look at the PV solar array he has set up for his family.
Still needs some seasonal generator capability.

I was astonished that internally that military spec small unit was a variable RPM engine/PM magnet, three phase wild frequency variable speed&load inverter-generator.

Wife and I just yesterday hosted three DOW members visiting with me showing off my newest biggest Harbor Freight “Chinese” 8600 watt capable inverter-generator. Is he? Or isn’t he? (engine generating) running 50% loaded sound checks walked out past our property limits. And loaded running sound checks inside the house where the Wives! (must keep not-made-unhappy!) and children were.
I’m 75% there with the sounds generator running now. That one last access lane side though . . . Grrr. Still work to be done.

Enjoy the video paying particular attention to all of the single points failures a complex integrated system will have.
Worth it for an inverter-generators much better less fuel used; longer potential useable engine life; and safe-safe consumers electricity.
YOU must become your own diagnose’er, fix-it-man.
Determine you own spares to have on-hand! He had a second for-parts spare unit that saved his ass.
S.U.

7 Likes

Hi guys not to keep beating a dead horse on human made bicycle power this video got fed to me just this morning.
Shows well and is verbally-visualing expaining well that TODAY it is the available PV solar charge controllers and readily available DC to regulated AC inverters that puts then easy safe realities on to any DIY make your own power projects:

And that a girl peddler can too make useable power. Do not need a young buff man.
Note how she at times struggles matching her legs pumping to the loads kicking back onto her. A bicycle in travel motion, that traveling motion then gives a flywheel like smoothing out of pulses and loads variability. So better to use a flywheel type stationary set up from the get-go:

So’s how can any of this relate to woodgasing for electrical power Steve Unruh, you say??
Easy woodgasing is a batch cycle system. This means variable produced gas out quantity and quality. That fed to a single cylinder IC four-cycle engine-generator.
The bugger-drive-drive-you-crazy is struggling to get that engine kept at a fixed RPM for the synchronous safe AC output frequency and voltage.
Just step aside from all of that. Make woodgas shaft power of any reasonable level, with varying RPM and then let an off the shelf solar charge controller and inverter do all of the controlling instead.
S.U.

5 Likes