Wayne's V-10 Ram

More snow in Alabama and the south is ill prepared for it.

I can’t handle the snow and ice very well but the wood burners seem to do OK.

Below are a couple of pictures of firing up this morning and farm chores . Also a couple of short videos .

BBB
Wayne

Just a quick update on my V-10 Ram. It has been about a month that I posted anything but I think I have driven it every day. Even because the cows eat every day it also has to work during the week end and on Sundays.

A month back we had snow but we are wearing the old stray hats now. It was sunny and about 72 f today.

I fired the V-10 this morning before daylight and ran into town to the coffee shop to catch up on the weeks news and happenings . Chunked about 1500 pounds of wood , moved some equipment and fed cattle.

Below are a couple of pictures and a couple of very short videos showing the routine .

HWWT

Working the Ram daily ,

It has been cold and wet so it was a good opportunity to take wife shopping , went back into town to pick son up from school and farm chores before dark.

Mid March Mud V-10 Ram - YouTube

BBB

Hello All ,

Working the trucks daily and was about to post a short video and realized the last couple of post here has to do with mud also . Yes it is muddy in Alabama.

I hope the next video will have some sunshine and dust in it.

BBB

Hello All,

The wife and I went out visiting in the V10 Ram today . The truck ran OK but not with the usual power , running high gasifier exit temps in relation to the speed , air and gas flow through the gasifier easier than normal ( mixing in more air-mix than usual), about a 2 to 1 vacuum ratio between cooler and hopper. When we got back home I ran a rod down through the car bed and there was very little .

The truck was showing all the signs of wood being too big or too wet . The last hundred pounds of wood I have used have been plucky pine ( almost rotten ) and somewhat on the large size . When I got back home I checked the moisture content and it ranged from 25- 35%.

Tomorrow when I fire up I will add in some dryer wood that checked out to be around 15% moisture .

It has been a while that I have driven the Dakota ( didn’t want to get it all muddy ) but I fired it up and let it run a little while .

Wayne…Was wondering what is the most vacuum you see on your cooling rails on the Dakota. I have a couple -15 inch gauges but don’t know if that is high enough. They are digital type read out gauges and say the range is from -15 to 20 psi.
Thanks

Hello Gary ,

" range is from -15 to 20 psi. " Did you mean inches of water ?

The 15 inch gauge would work nice on the hopper but I believe I would use a 30 inch at the cooling rails. The amount of pull at the rails will be in relation of the char beds density.

With WOT and high rpms on the Dakota I have seen it peg the 30 inch gauge several times .

The V-10 keeps the 30 inch gauge pegged quite a bit . ( just put a quick 70 miles on it pulling a small trailer this morning )

My apologies Wayne…I look at so much stuff I get confused sometimes. I was wrong on my thinking on the gauges I have. I must have looked at some in that range I mentioned earlier. The ones I have are just like these. I ordered them when I first started gathering up stuff for this project. Seems like they alarm at around 20 in/hg. Not sure if there is a limit on them but I see picture in the add with it showing -30. Do you think these will be ok for both the hopper and cooling rail.
Thanks

Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/290867851501

Hg, that’s mucury isn’t it? it is something like 17 times water… there or abouts…

Hello Gary .

The hg ( mercury ) will not work ( i ordered in the past by mistake ) and barley be able to see the dial move . If my memory serves me right it takes about 12 inches of water to equal 1 inch of Hg .

You should look for the gauges that register in H2O

Thanks Wayne…will look for the H2o gauges. Next time I will ask befor I buy…LOL

I’d be sceptical of those gauges… The picture shows In/Hg (which is Mercury) but the description shows
"* Unit: psi

• Warning light will light up when vacuum reaches over 21 psi"
    Vacuum isn’t even rated in PSI, if that is indeed what it is trying to measure…

30 In/H20 (60F/15.5C) = 1.08 PSI = 2.21 In/Hg (60F/15.5C)
1 in/Hg=13.6In/H20

Fired up and out before daylight this morning doing Sunday chores .

SWEM

For the video Wayne always good to hear and see the big V10 at work!!

My buddy Doug Brethower posted this video a year and half ago when he was down for a visit .

SWEM

The video below is the son and I hauling hay equipment this morning. . I am driving a 318 'Ram and my son is driving the V-10 Ram.

BBB
Wayne

Thanks for posting that.
Multi generational Wood Gasser’s
Gotta like it
Terryl

Wayne,
I seen you post something about driving in hybrid mode when needing a little extra power.
You stated that the computer will detect the engine is running rich and will turn the gas down. That being the case, one could theoretically put any size gasifier on a OBD 1 vehicle and the computer will automatically adjust the incoming gasoline flow? I would imagine one would have to restrict the wood gas flow a little so it doesn’t over pull the gasifier?

Good morning Bill.

No need to restrict the woodgas flow . With wood gas valves open and air mix valves open , the pull on the gasifier will only be that equal to the restriction caused by the piping and filtering of the mixing air. The computer reads rich and will lean or compensate the dino for the amount of gas coming from the gasifier. When the air mix valves are closed more it will cause more pull on the gasifier and the computer will read rich and compensate by shutting more gasoline off .

I cant’t think of a situation running hybrid where the gasifier would be over pulled. To pull hard on the gasifier from the motor the air mix valves must be almost closed. The computer can’t shut all the gasoline off thus running too rich and no more power .

I am not shure that other makes and models will hybird but the three trucks that I am driving now work well.

In short I can give the gasifier enough air to to keep it hot and happy. The computer will add enough dino to satisfy the motor’s appetite for the speeds asked of it .

1 Like