Wayne's V-10 Ram

Hello Thomas,

If the gasifier would not recover from too long of an idle I would just blend in a small amount of gasoline.

If you will go to YouTube and search “ wayne keith woodgas “ there will be a lot of videos that show start ups. I think the link below will put you there.

I have had lighting ports on some of my earlier gasifiers but never used them.

My gasifiers needs to be lit in three places; this will depend on the state of the gasifier the last time it was used.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wayne+keith+wood+gas&oq=wayne+keith+wood+gas&aq=f&aqi=p-p2&aql=&gs_l=youtube.12..35i39l2.9985.15860.0.19375.20.20.0.0.0.0.203.2512.0j18j1.19.0...0.0.gzUw3ySgAcA

can a vulcan gasifier or gek 20 or evinger 50 run a truck for those that are not handy or trained in welding

Hi Wayne
Do you have a guess as to about the power of your v10 gasifier
I’m getting ready to try a pilot injection diesel in my one ton i have sparkplug adapters for the 903 cu in. but not the 466 i have in it now and i’m not sure how big to make it i guess i would need 100 hp at least i would like to trim the diesel pilot as small as possible
thanks
Tom

Hello Terry,

I don’t feel comfortable saying what another brand gasifier will or will not do. Hopefully Matt or Jim Mason or someone that has used one could chime in.

Terry G is using a GEK; maybe he could give some advice.

I don’t know how much data there are on gasifier performance but the gasifier I drove to Argos performed very well.

Coming back from Argos I drove 630 miles in 12.5 hours. There may have been people that drove there on gasoline that didn’t average those speeds if they went over the 500 mile mark. Also I was pulling a loaded trailer and keeping up with interstate highway traffic.

Just one other note. I backed off the throttle just a little to see if I could break the 100 mile per fueling mark. One of the fueling I got 97.5 miles and another 107 miles per hopper. (The fuel hopper is level with the cab)

1 Like

Wayne said: “My gasifiers needs to be lit in three places; this will depend on the state of the gasifier the last time it was used.”

I was wondering if Wayne could explain where the three different locations are and when he would use them?

Terry C, With a stock GEK, full size truck and tail wind, I would guess about 30 mph? Jim Mason has been designing larger systems but I don’t know the details of such.

thanks for the feedback I,m wondering if a evinger 50 which I believe has a 7 and one half inch nozzle could produce more usable gas?

Terry,

I sent you a private message. Let me know if you need any more info.

Woody

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas/message/43769
Arvid Olson’s thoughts on Evinger.
I’m of the same mind.TerryL

Hello Kyle,

It was great getting to meet you this weekend, now I have a face to go with the name.

Yes Kyle I will make a post on why, when and where the gasifier may need to be lit in different locations.

It will take me a while to explain it so it’s not confusing.

Hello Thomas,

The V-10 is a big heavy truck and the gasifier extends above the bed which gives it even more drag.
It seems to run on level ground around 60 mph with no problem. It will go faster but the temperature will start rising. So far it hasn’t been hot enough to burn the paint off the gasifier anywhere and I don’t know where the critical point would be.

As far as horse power, I don’t know.

I had some visitor over from the Atlanta and Savannah Georgia area and took them for a ride in the V-10.

They will be joining the site soon.

1 Like

The Densmore’s from Lakewood NY. Visited this morning. I took him for a ride in the V-10 and showed the wood chunkier at work.

They will be on the site soon.

1 Like

hi wayne
i saw the vidieo of your chunker it looks like it really works well
did you lock the spider gears or the brake on the other side
thanks
Tom

Hello Thomas ,

I welded the spider gears.

The chunker cut wood a little faster than I was willing to work when I had the other brake locked .

Hi Wayne
Thanks i thought it would be really fast and it didn’t look that fast in the video
What kind of plasma cutter would be a good choice.
I had one years ago but it was early tech and not much good
It looked like the one you had pierced the fire tube pretty easy
Thanks
Tom

Hello Thomas,

I have a lotos 5000D plasma cutter, same as shown in the tool section.

It is the only plasma cutter I have ever used so I really don’t have anything to compare it to.

I have only had it for about year and half but I would hate to try to build a gasifier without one now. I think I paid between 300 and 350 bucks.

Maybe someone else with more experience with the plasma cutters will chime in.

1 Like

I have an ESAB plasma cutter that I found new in the box off of Craigslist. I’ve had it about 5 years and although I might not use it on a weekly basis it’s worth every penny when you do need it. Around a farm you’re always needing to repair or create something. I’ve learned the dryer you can keep your air supply the longer your “consumable” parts will last. That’s one thing you don’t really consider when buying a plasma cutter is that tips and electrodes can get pricey.

Chris F.

1 Like

Hi Wayne
I couldn’t tell from the fotos
How many blowers do you have on the v10 and how hard does the engine normally suck on the gasifier?
Thanks
Tom

1 Like

Hello Mr. Tom,

Thanks for all the kind words. You really make our heads swell!

Chris and I are in the process of putting together a section on the blowers but it might take us a few days.

Over the years I have tried small heater blower motors all the way up to roots system superchargers for starter blowers and have tried them in several location over the system. (Pain is a wonderful teacher)

1 Like