Wayne's V-10 Ram

Ah yes the school of hard knocks LOL

I put a lot of miles on the V-10 today and let the dakotas rest.

1 Like

I have been tied up in the hay fields the last couple of days and have been working the V-10 steady…

I took off long enough yesterday to show Dr. Larry Winiarski and some folks from Haiti, Nigeria, Honduras and Guatemala the V-10 and Dakotas. Sorry I can’t remember all the names.

3 Likes

great photo wayne, i think you and your gasifier has gotten world wide fame, it would be great if enough people would build gasigiers to make an impact on gas supply and prices.

I work the V-10 good this morning. I hauled in about 15 tons of hay from about five miles out and then made another trip to haul my tractor in.

I used no gasoline except for starting.

I beat the rain; the hay is in the barn!

2 Likes

Below is a video clip of working yesterday morning.

http://youtu.be/-h_rndLUTgc

Good deal on the hay Wayne !!

Hi Wayne,
The Dodge V10 looks like a good rig for conversion to wood gas, but I’m wondering what transmission is best? I’ve been looking at a Dodge V10, but it has a 5 speed manual transmission. Is this workable or is an automatic the best way to go?
Doug…

They will both work fine, assuming you are comfortable with a straight shift.

Wayne has an article in the Premium Members area about this: http://www.driveonwood.com/premium/automatic-vs-manual

2 Likes

Doug - What year model did you find? Is it a extended cab or short cab?

Kyle - It’s a 96 standard cab 2 WD with a long bed 5 speed manual transmission. Any recommendations? I haven’t bought it yet. It would be just for a wood gas conversion project.

Doug - Sounds good. I just bought a 96 4WD extended cab about 3 weeks ago. Mine has the auto trans. Personally, I would prefer a manual, but it was a good deal, so I grabbed it.

Hello Doug,

I think manual transmissions vs auto transmissions are personal preference and whatever one has available but I have found a few advantages of the auto transmissions.

My first gasified truck was a 78 F-350 ford with a manual transmission but all afterwards have been automatic.

On the road I would see no difference in transmissions but in tight parking areas and farm work, hooking to trailers ect. I find it is so easy to hold a little throttle and let the auto trans and the torque converter do their job.

Sudden accelerations and decelerations will cause the inertia of the gas stream to momentarily throw the air/fuel ratio out of the correct mix. ( going from throttle to brake )

I have noticed if the gasifier is not up to good operating temperatures and waiting to pull out into traffic one can hold some throttle and the brake. When you start out in the traffic letting off the brake will start the vehicle with no more load being asked of the gasifier.

I am sure one can teach himself to overcome any of the above problems.

1 Like

One thing about Wayne’s design is that it is very stable. This is a video done over 9 months ago of Sean driving the 4 cyl. Ford Ranger with a stick shift doing a 0 to 60 mph test in 36 seconds. We weren’t pushing gas to the engine and the computer took care of the timing. The truck still performs like this almost a year later.

I drive everywhere on wood with a stick shift and I am an old fart. It gets easier and easier.

I haven’t had time to post much in the last few days.

We have a 3-4 day window to get in hay here in Alabama this week. I have 30-35 ton on the ground and cutting.

Working the V-10 daily.

BBB

Working the V-10

I have 5,000 miles on the V-10 on wood now. Many of the miles have been working miles like the little clip I made today.

1 Like

Wow. That’s a lot of hay.

Gotta like that!

2 generations of Woodgassers in the same truck.

He’s lucky to have such a father.

All the best

TerryL

Wood power calf pulling,

It was all in a days work for the ram. We chased a heifer for a while around the pasture with my son driving and me in the back. I finally roped the heifer and tied her to the truck (lucky she didn’t bang it up) we took the little tractor and between the two strung her out and was able to pull the calf and save mama and baby.

2 Likes

Hooray for woodgas! Now you have to think of a clever name for the calf. How about Roper?

Course we always called ours Hamburger…

3 Likes