Wayne's V-10 Ram

Sure woulda liked to seen a video of that!
How about “Stretch”
:slight_smile:
TerryL

2 Likes

I think a good name for both would be lucky.

The wife spotted her going in the woods this morning and thought she might be in labor. I found her this afternoon and was able to get her in the open. The cows don’t appreciate what one must do. All the son and I could do to make the calf budge. The cow didn’t like the way I had to bounce the calf around to get it breathing.
The cows don’t have horns but when they hit ya its like being run over by a Volkswagen.

2 Likes

What a great tail of the steadfast devotion to succeed, produce, & conquer the odds. Cows will be cows, & men will be men!

2 Likes

Here is a short video of working the ram this morning. On the farm one can put a lot of hours on a truck and not many miles.

http://youtu.be/yF51nihrxGE

Below is a picture at the feed store.

1 Like

shoulda called me wayne, i’ve roped cows to every corner fence post in five counties here in east tn. kinda pricy to go that far on a farm call, though. switch to dairy. the are calmer.

carson

1 Like

Hello Carson,

Sure wish you were here.

While these cows are beating and banging on me they don’t realize I am trying to save there life.

1 Like

Hi Wayne, Trying to save their lives till they go to market and we eat them at McDonalds :o) Stay well amigo … ML

1 Like

Hello Carson,

I didn’t have to get my hands dirty (slick) today but I did do some pasture driving.

Mike,

These will usually go to the steak houses. You don’t want to see the ones McDonald buys.

2 Likes

wayne,

cow/calf operation is love/hate affair. backgroundin’ is ‘less exciting’. no momma cows!

carson

2 Likes

Wayne, The old milk cows wind up in that stuff … I would assume your’s get sent off to be finished with corn or are sold as grass fed. A lot of folks like that grass fed stuff. Nothing like those feed lots in Kansas, Oklahoma, and the panhandle of Texas … I remember one time pulling over at 3AM near Dodge City for a nap and waking up at dawn to probably 100,000 in a feed lot … mooooo moooooo mooooo … ML

2 Likes

Working the Ram this morning.

I took a couple of cull calves to the cattle auction. (We can buy groceries a couple more weeks now)

1 Like

I worked the Ram today shuttling equipment so I can clip some pastures. This pasture is about 10 miles from home.

1 Like

Hi Wayne
nice looking farm takes alot of work
do you think the v10 would pull a 8000lb camper at hy speeds 60-70
i pull it with 7.3 power stroke now it really sucks the fuel.

1 Like

Hello Jim,

The sizing of the gasifier, plumbing and cooling on my V-10 I don’t think I could maintain 60-70 mph pulling a camper.

I believe I could build a Gasifier system big enough and run the truck in lower gears keeping the rpms high enough to really put a high air flow trough a gasifier that might get the job done. The problem will be running the truck with no load at speeds below 60 mph.

The amount of fuel your 7.3 is using pulling the camper is some indication of the amount of BTUs that will have to be generated.

My above explanation of usable range reminds me of some of the machines out on the Salt Flat. They would easily run 300 mph but had to have someone push them up to around 60-70 mph before they would even start up. I wouldn’t want to send the wife to Wallmart in one!!

I guess what I am saying is wood gas will work good in many situation but not all. To keep all in perspective we are using wood for fuel.

I remember seeing an old photo of a truck and something was said about it being the work horse of the war years. It also said top speed was 15 mph.

( Wiki:
"The liberty truck was designed by the Motor Transport section of the Quartermaster Corps in cooperation with the members of the Society of Automotive Engineers. Production of the 3–5 ton truck began in 1917, and the first models appeared ten weeks after the design was standardized. Of the almost 9,500 produced by 15 manufacturers, more than 7,500 were sent overseas. The Liberty’s four-speed transmission coupled with its 52-hp engine gave the truck a top speed of about 15 miles per hour ‘’)

Sure hope I didn’t take the wind out of your sails.

2 Likes

Jim,

Since you have to leave the gasoline system in place anyway, use the woodgas for most of your driving and run gasoline when you take the rare trip with the camper. With good instrumentation it’s also possible to run hybrid, and improve your gas mileage drastically - just be careful not to run the gasifier dry, as the engine will merrily chug along on gasoline, while your gasifier melts behind you.

1 Like

I had a gentleman come by and spend most of the day with me. I took him for a ride in the V-10 as I was checking cattle and hay fields.

Way up north he had ran into a picture of a truck with a gasifier on it and wanted to show it to me.

Yes Mike LaRosa, you have shown up in Montana!!!

1 Like

Hi wayne & chris
you didnt tell me what i wanted to hear but you did tell me what i expected to hear.
havent made any moves in any direction yet still spectulating.
i really like the power of that ford powerstroke , it might be the only 01 on the road with only 90000 mi,
it would really be hard to part with.

1 Like

The last week I have been tied up in the hay fields trying to make hay while the weather is right.

I haven’t been on the road much but still averaging about 50 miles per day running here and there.

1st pic Good time to add to the hay filter because there is several ton available.

#2 Hay ready to be pushed down in the filter housing.

#3 Hay in filter.

#4 Hay in filter with screen.

#5 At the stream for water to wash the hay.

1 Like

I’ve been cutting hay for two days here in S.C. I have much more to go. Hope you are getting close to being finished Wayne K. Looks like we are going to have a good yield. It might be a hard winter. I Hav’nt gotton all of the things that I need to start my woodgas project yet, maybe soon I hope.

1 Like

Hello Sheldon,

Yes we are covered up with hay for the last cutting this year.

Two years ago I got six rolls of a spot of ground and this year the same spot had 47 rolls.

I worked the v-10 all day today. I took some wide mouth cows to the cattle auction this morning and then hauled hay the rest of the day in the rain.

1 Like