Wayne's V-10 Ram

Typical work with the wood burner .

About to fire up for another day of the same :relaxed:

7 Likes

How many cuttings do you guys get down south? We get about 3-4 up here. 4 on a better year.

Hello Joseph.

I only cut twice a year but most folks will cut 3-4 times a year .I actually have more hay than cattle and have enough in the barn for the winter.

If I needed more hay I could put the fertilize to it and get more cuttings.

Missed you at Argos :confounded:

3 Likes

Do you have enough extra to sell to other ranchers?

1 Like

Good morning all,

I haven’t posted much but have been working the wood burners plenty :grinning:

A lot of hay and equipment to be hauled in today and cattle to be hauled tomorrow .

8 Likes

Good morning all.

I haven’t posted much but have been running a lot of wood through these ole trucks.

The pictured below is firing up yesterday morning.

Over the last ten years there have been a lot of hay hauled in and a lot of cattle hauled out ( none on gasoline ) :relaxed:

The old trailer looks rough but still working . I think it has just turned 40 years old :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yeesh, Wayne! You should put some paint on that trailer to give it something to hold the rust flakes together as you go down the road! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yes Brian .

Any thin metal just couldn’t stand the test of time . :confounded:

4 Likes

Hey Brian,

Down south things rust in slow motion. Something about a lack of salt on the roads.

That trailer’s probably looked that way for 10 years, and the thin stuff may fall off in another 10 or so.

4 Likes

Summer time in the South. Not a bad place to be. 98F today. Oh well!

3 Likes

40 years old Wayne? That’s 4 in Minnesota years. Bought and paid for.
I looked into getting a calf and they want $500-750. Not worth me to get started at this point.

4 Likes

Try goats first. They are easy keepers.

5 Likes

I thought about goats but everyone I talked to said the milk is awful. I guess I should try some myself. I did not know till a year ago that people eat goats.

4 Likes

As a teenager, I raised goats and the only time the milk had an “off” taste was in the spring when they first went out to pasture and ate all kinds of weeds and stuff that they were not used to eating. A bale of hay goes a long way in the winter too. The meat is lean but it makes super burgers.

9 Likes

13 Likes

I hope this doesn’t raise any old goat jokes!!! ( hehehe )

4 Likes

It takes one to know one. I got experience in that.

4 Likes

Jim we milked goats for quite a few years, milk is good as long as they don’t get into wild onions, or garlic. My 2 boys were raised on it

5 Likes

Jim, we have two goats both miking. We sold the 6 baby goats a few weeks back. Dana and Marjie have been miking them twice a day, quart and a half a day. It great to drink. Goats will eat down you brush and weeds in no time. We rent them out when we stop miking them. It’s been a great FFA project for Marjie.
Bob

2 Likes

If you eat some onion along with your meal you will never know the cow has been in the bitter weeds. :relaxed:

On another note , I worked the ole V-10 hard yesterday and ran about 200-250 pounds of wood through it. Drove to nearby town and got fertilize spreader buggy and 6,000 pounds of fertilize . round trip about 50 miles . Spread the fertilize over about 80 -100 acres of pasture and hay land with some being rough terrain .( about two hours of driving in the fields ). Returned the buggy and back home was another 50 miles .

I am still amazed the amount of work that can be done with a bunch of scrap wood :joy:

On the way home I took the scenic route . My place is in the center of the picture 8 miles away . Can’t see any of the farm for all the motor fuel :relaxed:

9 Likes