Wayne's V-10 Ram

I took this video just before dark of the work truck . It is about to click over to 30,000 miles now on wood . A lot of the miles is this kind of work.

BBB

11 Likes

Wayne you are lucky you don’t have to farm with this truck!

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s what most people picture when you say “it runs on wood”…

10 Likes

Got to love that V-10 Rumble! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thankfully, when you drive on wood, you don’t need a Fireman! :dragon_face:

2 Likes

Well…has everyone cleaned their intake lately…This could be you. :worried:

2 Likes

Maybe he needs a spark igniter on the smoke stack so he can flare the smoke and see through it. TomC

3 Likes

Awesome video. You know, a steam whistle would work so well with a wood gas vehicle… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t decide between a steam whistle and the Dukes of Hazard “Dixie” horn. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Billy,

Since you brought this up, it made me think. Old Cooter Davenport must have had a woodgas truck parked out back behind his auto shop and the General Lee parked out in front. With all the many great ideas I have heard for our trucks, I’ll have to use this one as well. If I don’t drive my family nuts enough already, I can’t wait to finish the project with a General Lee “Dixie” horn. There’s a bit of rebel in all of us…

Bryan

5 Likes

Mine has a pair of air horns. I guess that’s close enough to a steam whistle.

4 Likes

Hi Wayne, I have a few questions about your V-10 Ram.
I think I remember reading in one of your posts that the wood hopper on the V-10 is taller than what you use on the Dakotas. If that is the case how much taller is the hopper on the V-10?
I ran across a nice 1997 Ram SS/T regular cab, short bed with the 5.9 motor but if I buy it I would like to keep gasifier height to a minimum, preferably no higher than the top of the truck cab.
Do you think that would be possible?

Hello Larry .

Keeping the gasifier height down near cab level on the full size dodges may be hard to do. It is not a problem on the dakotas because you can get by with a hopper height of about 18 inches and the gasifier will set about 10-11 inches below the bed level. On the full size trucks you can only gain about 6 inches by going down to the frame . On my V-10 I am using a 26 inch hopper and it set about 12 inches above the cab.

For my use of the truck working around the farm the 26 inches hopper is about as low as I can go and still have a descent range .

You might cut the hopper down about 6 inches allowing 6 inches above the cab but your range will be reduced :cry:

2 Likes

Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply.

Based on your experience with the Rams do you think it might be possible to get the gasifier a few inches lower by putting the gasifier in the middle and drop it down between the gas tank and right frame rail?

Good morning Larry .

By mounting the gasifier in the middle of the truck it is possible to decrease the height 4 inches. The truck frame is 6 inches below the bed and the drive shaft is 10 inches .

With that said I wouldn’t want to tackle the job. Support for the gasifier would need to be made and could get complicated with the drive shaft running through it or have to raise the gasifier up about 3 inches for support members running from frame rail to frame rail. The gas tank would have to be removed . Also you would have to crawl under the truck to dump the ash . In short you may be able to lower the height just a little with a whole lot of work .

Hi Wayne, I really appreciate your advice.
Most of my driving is on rural roads at speeds of 45-60 mph and a range of 40-50 miles would be acceptable so shortening the hopper a few inches would be fine. I would love to have a full-size truck so I’m leaning towards getting the Ram SS/T and seeing if I can make the gasifier fit with a reasonably low profile.

This morning while hauling hay the old work truck turned over 30.000 miles :grinning:

BBB

8 Likes

Did your speedometer quit working?

1 Like

Hello Don.

The tachometer , odometer and the trip meter works OK but the speedometer went out about a year ago .

3 Likes

Better on the V-10 than the Dakota for speeding tickets!

3 Likes