What kind of filter media?

Gunny sacks!
Great idea!
I suppose when you could hand wash the material too and save a few bucks

SO that fellow was Irish?
Sounded like one of those rural folks in the south…
I used to have an ear for this but now I need a hearing aid lol!!!

2 Likes

O no Wallace, you don’t “hand wash” the dirty, sooty, filthy gunny sack material! You take it in the house and put it in the family washing machine and wash it there!!! Haha

2 Likes

Your right, better wash indoors to be sure that I keep the engine clean.

Man that is a good idea though!
I better start eating more rice.

1 Like

What about planer wood shavings? Anyone used them?

On my lawn tractor, I use pine shavings which are sold for small animal bedding. they are a bit bigger than planer shavings, but similar. In a larger drum, though, I think they may pack down too much.

Is this the same as “woodwool”, used during the war?

Max

1 Like

I guess it is. Was that any good?

These are what I’m using in the lawn tractor. 5 gallon bucket filter.

“Woodwool” were ~2mm broad, 0,5mm thick, 100–200mm long threads of wood; machine-made of course.

You could have ~100 of them in a handfull–almost like textile tangle for polishing… not as compact and soft as the textile version.

Thy were used as surrugate for cork crumbs.

Max

1 Like

How many hours will they stay useful?

Max

I don’t really know how long they would last. I’ve changed them a couple times, but they were still functioning fine. Just replaced each spring when getting ready for the shows.

1 Like

These are shavings from my planer. I was just thinking using what I have again :wink:
But I realise they will probably get packed when wet. Not stiff enough. I’ll probably have to trust Wayne for once :smile:

1 Like

Hi, J-O!
Theese seem to be more even-sized than Andy’s commercial ones!
If they don’t crumble, the filtering (as medium filter) will be good.

Max

1 Like

Hello JO

Put the shaving in a bucket of water and let them soak over night and see if they will maintain their integrity .

3 Likes

Shavings are soaking…

2 Likes

Lava rock in the bottom of my filter and wool blanket on top… seems to work ok for me

3 Likes

Might work if not stacked to high, or the will compress. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, J-O!
When the area is large enough, tightness is tolerable.
That’s why broad chests have been used.
Max

1 Like

bought 2 bales of hay today at 4-H fundraiser auction. Looks like long grass, but has a wonderful sweet smell. Any of you farmers have an idea what kind of hay that is?

1 Like

My guess it’s timothy, if it’s has some long straw like stems.

1 Like