What kind of filter media?

Tritowns suggestion of pumice and wool.

I really like the wool idea.
Higher temperature compared to a cellulose filter, tight weave for good filtration and easy to clean.
Why the pumice though?
There must be some other coarse medium to use that’s lighter and easier.
Maybe what Gilmore said about Charcoal would be better?

What would happen if you used a high tac filter oil on one of the layers of wool?
could you improve the efficiency of the filter, make it small and more effective?

1 Like

My filter is also a cooler. The lava rock isn’t all that heavy, and I’m sure you could spray the filter with something like kn filter oil just not sure it’s necessary.

I have used hay. I have used wood shavings. I like the idea of being able to open my filter swap out the blanket after hosing down the rock and close it up again. Wash the dirty filter at your leisure and you’re good to go.

4 Likes

Im trying two cyclones this time. One right after the gasifier and one more after the cooler. Ive always found that the ugliest stuff in the hay filter was rust from the cooler. Im also trying a copper cooler this time.
Yes, i already have a still.
I should clarify. That is two cyclones and no filter…
We shall see.

3 Likes

I am really kind of curious about this pumice stone ( that is what you mean right when you say Lava rocks ?).

This helps filter exactly how?
All I can think of is the stuff my Dad had in his first gas BBQ from the early 70s.
This has filtering qualities?

When done can you clean this and reuse it?

2 Likes

Hi Wallace
I’ve had several of those bbq grills with lava rocks. The rocks get dirty from the grease dripping down and burning. When the flare ups get to bad, I would cover the cooking grid with tin foil and turn the gas on high for twenty-thirty min. then after the rocks cool you can hose the soot off ( mostly just white ash ) Hope this helps
Jesseu

1 Like

Hi guys, a little info, some of you know I’m doing my upholstry in my A and I had to go back to the fabric store for the third time to get more fabric and stuff. I’ve gotten to know the guy that works there over the winter and he had a big roll of burlap setting in the thing where he cuts all the fabrics! Ever since I read the earlier post about using burlap material for filtering media I thought that would be worth a try but wondered where to get it! So there you go for what it’s worth, the guy says yeah we have carried it for as long as he has worked there and that’s been 30yrs! I was surprised to see it in auto upholstery shop but there it was! Has anyone tried it, seems to me it would work good but like everything else with the gasification animal it may not work at all!!! Herb H

3 Likes

I’ve seen burlap and canvas used between the springs and the foam in seats, both vehicular and recliners, to keep the springs from cutting into the foam.

1 Like

Good morning Herb.

Years back I tried using cloth as filter media. It was old t-shirts, sheets and rags in a 15 gallon drum mounted horizontal under the truck bed . The material clogged quick and didn’t work out. It could have been because of where the filter was located but I think the fabric was too fine .

I think burlap is coarse enough it would work as filter media .

3 Likes

I use wool blacked fan folded and rolled to fit snuggly (but not too tight) inside the filter container.

2 Likes

I understand “Wool” but don’t get Wool blacked! What does that mean Arvid?
Thanks for the cloth information Wayne!
We all know Hay works good, I can see woodgas going through burlap and the burlap catching a lot of the soot and stuff like hay does, maybe better!

3 Likes

I bet it gets black all right but I think he meant to spell blanket

3 Likes

Yes blanket… stupid auto correct

1 Like

Don, you aren’t mentioning “popcorn”. Did you eat it all before you got to try it. That would be my problem.TomC

1 Like

No, I like Carmel corn, not carbon corn.

5 Likes

Good one Don!
Arvid I’m surprised that wet woodgas goes through a wool blanket fast enough! Are you sure it’s not going around it instead of through it?? Just wondering because wool is used as blanket because it doesn’t let air pass therefore keeping one warm, moisture laden air/gas would even be more difficult seems like!

1 Like

It works better than you would expect.

2 Likes

Hi Wayne!
I have been a dress maker ( seamster or taylor) since my teens. I grew up making wedding dresseses. Only Rooster in a hen house. But anyways its all in the weave. My favorite wind breaker was made from TYVEC Paper. Curticy of National Lumber. Stops the wind but lets the air out!
You have to have airflow ( cfm) for filtration. If it don’t flow it don’t work.
In other words if you can’t blow really easily through it it won’t work. PERIOD.
7 yrs. of vacuum thermomo forming experience. When I worked for Dura-Con Inds. Back in the 80s I had to learn about vacuum systems,and air filtration.
I learned that filtration is controlled by one thing.
Breath a bility! If your filters are loaded: two things are being neglected

1. pm maintenance
  2. wrong filter media
    IF IT DON’T FLOW IT WON’T WORK
    Sorry memories from the past.
    Jesse
3 Likes

Great info Jesse!! Went back to check who posted about the burlap, Dustin Moore has been using it for over a year!!
Seems to me it would work really good and maybe be able to cut down size of filtering canister!!
Dustin could you give us an update on your burlap filtering system??

2 Likes

Hello Herb

Please don’t take this as gospel.

This spring I took my intake off with throttle body and cleaned thoroughly. I had quite a bit of carbon stuck to the underside of the throttle body and intake. I also had been running without any filter for the winter as I was having issues with the filter material freezing. I was using a standard barrel with burlap in place for the summer/spring before that.

After cleaning the intake/throttle body I also remodeled my filter. I made two concentric circles that I then wrapped with material. I wrapped both circles with burlap in multiple layers. I was planning to wrap the inner layer with a dense foam but did not have it available at the time.

I have drove roughly 400kms since the change and have noticed that I was getting quite a bit of carbon at the throttle bodies again. In my current configuration I don’t think the burlap alone is a sufficient filter so I will go ahead and try the high density foam around the inner circle.

3 Likes

Hi Dustin,
Do you know of anyone running the gas through water then a dry filter? I thought I had read or seen a vid of a tractor that had a thirty gal barrel with a little water in the bottom then straw or hay above that. No wxperince here, my filtration exp. is with premanufactured
filters. So I was thinking: wouldn’t the water collect the carbon that is entrained in the gas - passes through the burlap, and gets stuck to the throttle body and intake manafd? The reason I’m asking is because I want to try this but don’t think my 130 cfm blower will pull
hard enough to over come the water barrier. Yesterday I set up my little filter with about 10 - 12" of charcoal and then
an old bath towel folded if half with some weights around the edges to hold the towel in place. My little gasifier is stationary. I had the big blower hooked up to it and the coal inside was being tossed around alot. The whole can viborated. I did not get a chance to run some air through it. With the little blower. Hands got cold. Had to call it quits for the nite.
Jesse

2 Likes