What kind of filter media?

I thought I saw that water thing also. However, after building a monorator hopper that wrings the moisture out of my gas and the cooler gets what little is left, I certainly wouldn’t then add moisture farther down the gas stream. I feel that would degrade the quality of the gas by humidifying it. I would however, try open cell foam barely moist with light weight oil in the final filter.
Just my two cents.
In case you haven’t seen my condensate removal, see a few clips here:

@1:21 monorator hopper drain 1

@ 6:27 monorator hopper drain 2
@ 7:13 thru 7:15 shows the cooler codensate collecting what’s left after the monorator.

On my next run there was NO water in the cooler condensate reservoir.

1 Like

Thanks Dustin, hadn’t thought bout wrapping the burlap around therefore forcing gas to go though it, good idea!! Otherwise no matter how you laid it in filter container it would always have the tendancy to sneak around the outside wall, very good!
I like it when people ask " what do you use for filter" it’s almost fun to reply “hay” It is hard to beat!!
Didn’t know what burlap was made of so I looked it up, answer, jute or hemp which is the same as marijuana isn’t it??
Anyway it’s a plant, not unlike hay and then weaved into sheet stock!! Seems to me tailor-made for filtering woogas!! And talk about Breathablity!
Tell me Dustin, how did you know it was iced up, wouldn’t hot gas go up though it at all??

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Hemp vs Marijuana

It was just a question, you don’ need to beat me up over it
No one likes to be treated with Arrogance
Yes your machine is cool. I read about your build all the way through
Looked at and watched your pics. And vids
Very nice work
A little humility goes a long ways
Jesse

I haven’t watched the videos but from the posts I’m reading no signs of arrogance. To me it reads just as “I tried that and here are my findings”.

3 Likes

Hi Jesse,
Sorry, if you felt picked on, that was not my intention at all. I was trying to be helpful and it was as Brian remarked, I tried this and here are my findings.
Pepe

3 Likes

Hi Jesse, there was at least one guy running gas though a water bath and then up though hay I think, can’t think of his name. The Caddy is kinda like that when it gets enough condensate in the bottom of filter, I think that is a good way to filter! I don’t see how a dry filter would work because from my experience there is nothing dry in a filter after ran for a while, that’s why I think burlap would be so good, especially after a water bath!!
Thanks for sharing your expertise with different fabrics and also your work Experience with filtering, much appreciated!! HerbH

2 Likes

Hey Pepe,
I went back and reread
And I huess I was a bit thin skinned
Sorru I took things the wrong way
Jesse

3 Likes

No problem, Jesse, and we move on, thank you.
Pepe

2 Likes

Perlite (course sizing) works excellent, and can be reused… Not sure about biomass gasification, but for charcoal gasification, it’s a top-notch particulate filter.

1 Like

Bbq lava rock and then wool blanket material

1 Like

Troy, Have you tried charcoal as filter media? To what are you comparing Perlite when you call it excellent? How is it made reusable? Do you have a suggestion for cross section and depth per horsepower or engine displacement?

2 Likes

I have not tried charcoal as a filter… With perlite also having a massive surface area, and it being white, I just stopped experimenting with cloth, paper filters, and foam when I could “see” what I was filtering… To reuse, we simply shake it out with a fine sieve, and put a blow torch to it to incinerate any fines that are caught in to nooks and crannies… it’s also so cheap that you can toss the used batch into your compost pile and start fresh.

I don’t know if it’s the ultimate particulate filter, but I really like it. I don’t see a need to switch.

As for depth and cross section… I just wing it. I treat it like charcoal in that I “eyeball” the size of the grains, and imagine the breathability within my filter box.

Caveat: you must use the course grade perlite and sift it for fines.

2 Likes

I appreciate this quick reply. I’ll give coarse, screened perlite a try.

Excellent… let me know how you like it!

Very interesting discussing different filtering possibilities, I don’t know anything about perlite but might check into it. As Wayne and many others have shown hay is hard to beat and you can’t beat the price!
Is anyone using burlap?? Seems like it would work good rolled up several times around what ever the size of the exit, clamped, other end zip tied, how ever long you wanted it!! Wouldn’t need a very big container, easily replaced or washed, anyone doin that? Any thoughts?? Just thinkin!!! Herb

1 Like

Herb, If you go back to comment 57, 59,61 of this thread, you will see burlap has been discussed before.

1 Like

Yeah I know, that was early spring, thought maybe others may had tried it and could talk about there results!!
Seems like using this method would work great, would even tell operator when it was getting clogged by how much the “sack” was sucked up and together!?!?!?

1 Like

I read that someone installed a vacuum gauge before and after his filter. I would reference a “nothing” in the filter vacuum first as a benchmark. Use different materials, note vac drop and/or corresponding gas quality (ie rpm drop in gas motor, etc). Great filter may starve the entire system of enough O2 for a proper combustion zone temp. Temp sensors needed, too, to pin down results. I haven’t installed any vac gauges yet, but I will soon. I’ve been using pine needles in my filter. Next time I fire up I will do the moist handkerchief over the filter outlet trick to see how effective the pine needles are. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I use a hot filter for woodgas now an will never go back. First l used fiberglass house insulation but it was to crumbly. Now l use a different setup. Gas first goes trugh a bed of expanded clay pellets, thain fiberglass mesh that holds the pellets, thain a bed of tightly packed ss washing pads. It is a temporary solution but it works well. Nice and loose and the cooler seems soot free. I just ordered thick fiberglass cloth and will report how that is doeing.

3 Likes