What kind of filter media?

what does that give you more that a conventional filter?

1 Like

There is no need to wash the cooler. The gas is clean before it enters to the cooling rail.

2 Likes

Kristijan, how often do you have to clean the filter or does it self clean, ash and soot falls off to the bottom of the housing? Do you use a cyclone filter also?
Bob

2 Likes

Robert,

lt hasnt got many miles on it yet, about 300, but it shows no problems yet. There is allso a cyclone.

I took a picture of my charcoal powered Seat filter. The last one since it is now in the hands of a nother ownerā€¦

This l wuld recomend to everyone useing charcoal gasifiers. A sack filter made out of a towel. As you can see, when the dust cake gets thick enough, it falls off by it self. Allso no problems with moist gas, the water helps the self cleaning cycle. Just clean it with a vacuum cleaner once every 500 miles or soā€¦

8 Likes

Thanks Kristijan, thatā€™s what I leaning for. Wool felt or towel.
Bob

2 Likes

How bad would it be to run without a filter?
I did read that soot would not make any damage to the engine.

I see a opportunity to save space, weight and increase the flow if the down side is not too big.

@Jim_H ā€œit dependsā€ ā„¢. Consider filters to be an insurance policy that few folks here would view as optional. Iā€™m not aware of a gasifier design that is entirely filter-free, but certainly one could exist.

If youā€™re exceptionally lucky and immediately come up to operating temperature, use flow-friendly non-filter components like cyclones that perform a filtering and cooling function without per se being a filter, use extremely consistent fuel that produces no fine particulates, always shut down the gasifier while continuing to run the engine on a fuel that acts as a solvent to flush away any tars/waxes, are powering a load requiring constant engine RPM, have invariably consistent temp/humidity input air with no particulates, use an engine with substantial mechanical tolerances, and never ever have leaks or experience a long list of other caveatsā€¦then sure, you could run without a filter.

But constructing a system with filters present is safer than operating without them. Start conservative; test (and test again); gradually remove what elements seem unnecessary during normal operation for your use case.

3 Likes

Hi bob mac, i like the way kristijan mounted the towel filter, so the gas comes through the outside of the towel sockā€™ then it will fall off the crust when vacuem slows down and lets the filter relax. The hot filter i havent tryed yet either.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of this filter, and what are ss washing pads?
It sounds very interesting.

1 Like

I think the ss washing pads heā€™s using are stainless steelwool too clean pots and such.

1 Like

Jan, l belive you want to run on charcoal? Charcoal gas is much more dangerous for the engine thain woodgas. It holds more abrasive dust. But, can be filtred easyer and more efficient.

I no longer use the pads but a cilinder of chickhen wire. Will post pictures later.

8 Likes

hI kRISTIJAN

WHY HAVE YOU ABANDONED METAL WOOL PADS?
CAN YOU EXPLAIN, CHEMICALLY, HOW THEY REDUCE ACIDITY IN GAS?

tHIERRY

The acids react with iron but since the pads are sainless there isnt much reactivity there. I stoped useing them becouse l noticed peaces of wires sometime come off and l wuldnt like to suck them in the engine.

I wuldnt worry about acids much thugh. The soot and fine ash flying with the gas are both basic and will neutralise the acids in the cooler/hay filter.

5 Likes

Hi, Kristijan.
No, Iā€™m going to run on firewood, (if I get that far) so you have a fiberglass bag with clay pellets in as a filter?
Did you filter directly after the cyclone?
Do you know how hot it is in the filter?

1 Like

It was a long time ago and l tryed many things. Its all in the Mercedes and Lacetti ttopics thugh.

I am sure a hot filter wuld work perfectly if you get the right material. Myne was not tight enough.
I wuld advise a good cyclone before the filter.

I wuldnt know. Usualy if you have some heat exchanger, even just a mantel around the cyclone, and your gasifier is well tuned and burns dry wood, the exit temp will be in a 150-300c zone

5 Likes

I agree 100% with a good cyclone before the filter.

3 Likes

Jan, all the Dala-jƤrna meetup guys used hot filters.
I guess you already noticed the filter builds on the ā€œgengassidan.nuā€ site. If I remember right there was even a local supplier of the high temp fabric mentioned. It was rated 800C or something.

3 Likes

I have about 10, 100lb feed sacks full of planer shavings, mostly white oak. Any ideas what to use it for? I thought of trying it for filter media in the Ranger gasifier, the filter box is square, thought it would fill in corners, and top it with fiberglass insulation.

When I think of the planer shavings I used to make, I think of shavings thin, wide and long. What dimensions are yours? Mine would pack together, Iā€™m afraid, and probably seal off air movement, especially when wet.

3 Likes

Hi Jo are you guys talking hot filter with no hay filter of hot filter and a hay filter ā€™ Thanks ā€™ ?