Why an IC piston engine will Always beat out ANY external combustion system

Really makes you appreciate that little wall outlet and what is behind it!!

3 Likes

That video was great to show us how much energy it takes just to make a toaster work to toast bread. Amazing. DOW and you can make toast too.
Bob

4 Likes

Hey GaryT,
Make your quick-dicoonects on a 6" flexible lead away from ther battery terminal post.
No matter top-clamped post; top threaded post; GM/Delco side bolt-in terminal post once the molded platic is viberation, install/uninstall broken then acid vapors WILL bleed out.
Evne gassing bleed out of the vents will lightly coat the top side of the battry case.
So do wear leather/rubber/nitile gloves. Look at your pants and shirts. And rub contact to cotton and it will hole eat on you next washing. Wool, nylon, at least a 65% polyester is OK.

I’ve learned weel over the decades to just leave the batteries in-place. Any seen terminal corrosion jump on it with diaasembely, brushes and baking-soda water.
Wool felt sealing pad work. Work beat impregnated with a paericular brand of truck and industial barrty sealer made of animal hoofs. Name exscapes me. 2nd beest sealer is the sticky red NOCO.
And a clear lube grease, or vasoline/petroleum jelly still works jut fine.
You want non-hardening acid gasses sealing. NOT any hard coating spray.

7-10 year on good quality lead-acid types in all around the year staring/running services is a very achievable, realistic goal.
I’ve paid more and used the spiral cell types. Same service life. Better rough roads, jarring equipment’s usage though.

I’ve used the sealed-lead acid types too. Not-so-good for engine starting. Lower amps bursting capable. Need to be much lower rate charged. Need better controlled float charge maintaing. Much more expensive to use in-service.
Good for low draw usages.
AGM batteries are good too. But at 3X the cost will run up your cost-per-years in-use on staring applications. So say the boat folks.
S.U.

5 Likes

Ha! Ha! I was quoting my actual once-was back in my 20’s prime OrCarl.
And I could only do it once in a 24 hour period. Needed recovery time.
Realistically even back then I’d top out at maybe 350 watts an hour, for hour after hour work.
I looked ~50% of Mr. Thunder-thighs back then, your speed racer.
My upper big chest filled heart and lungs (and gutting grit) was the key. Not so good for on road racing working. Pushing too much air. I’ve had the same problem swimming. Not sleek at all. Blocky.
A better guy to have used was one of the in-prime long distance endurance-racing guys. Not a circle track speedster.
S.U.

5 Likes

Never said that in one hour that I could generate enough stored power to do it.
This WAS my point.
S.U.

3 Likes

Sure did this too 14yo to 18 yo back on the farm. Even made up a special dozed up hill to one-start a couple of ancient tractors versus spending the denero for rebuilding the old worn out starter, new battery cable and such. Wire, copper ands steel GENERATOR system with don’t care contacts point voltage regulators!

Then . . . 16 years in automotive electric and I found out well just how hard on true electrical variable loading vehicles, boats, and equipment it was to do this.
Prematurely kills a lot of alternator power diodes, alternator internal smoothing capacitors, voltage regulator electronics.
You all just have fun with this.
The newer much more electrical/electronic dependent vehicles will nail you very expensive in the asses.
“What once was, can never be again”
S.U.

3 Likes

GaryT, I love to push the Like button fore much you have said. True. Same belief as mine.
Can’t.

The USofA and Canada are voting democracies.
What can be convinced to the voting Urban-sheeple in 3 western US states; eight eastern US states; the Urban areas of three Canadian provinces will become the regulated and enforced “popular voted” laws and standards. Law/Regulations across the whole of the continent. Popular vote man. The People have spoken.
It is just easier in the in-between areas to be over-looked and ignored and just do as you will, and can.
Even there . . . do you really understand and can you really make a post 2000’s era vehicle do what you want, DIY?
How about a 2008 and later drive-by-eletricla-wire, vehicle? A post 2012 fully internet/satellite connected vehicle?
Few will every be able. Them: if talking easily found out. Reeled back in.
Yeah. yeah just road salt kill off the old, understandable, DIY vehicles. “But People demand Right to winter snow and ice travel!”
Studded snow tire work just fine. Not just for me. In harsher winter areas places too.
“Oh No!” “Can’t having those selfish-Few quicker wearing out our Public highways!”
And roads salts are, and have always been prematurely killing Public paid for bridges, overpasses and highway infra-structure? Yes. It is. MORE Re-build America/Canada work created. Needing more Investors profit taking.

Locally here now too in the last 5 years they are using more and more “public demanded” road sprays. I know. That’s when the steel and aluminum wheels on our personal vehicles started corrosion locking on at my twice a year 3-seson wheels and tires off/snow wheels and tire on.
Ohh-lala. The old 94 pickup truck with the 3 season wheels left on for three full years was a bear to get off at the 4th years. Loosen nuts and circle steering circles in the hard frozen yard to get those steel wheels to break loose from the cast iron hubs…
A flat on the road in those three years would have been impossible to get off!
Oh yeah. Call out road-service. Let some one else do it for you. Just accept it. Bleat loudly, mournfully. Cell phone. Special roadside assistance insurance.
Spin. Spin. Spin - make money with forced services game all over again.
S.U.

2 Likes

Fellows let me clarify myself.
I have with much years personal working; and inputs from decades searched out, worked with respected achiever-of-results-peers, become truly excellent at just one thing:
Taking the Complex; stripping it down to one, two, at the most three, core values must-have-to-function factors.
Fail to satisfy any of these core principals and the system fails. Period. Throw all of the Inputs frue-fraw’s you like . . . the Output results will just not be there.

An IC piston engine system (Yes, with a plain’ol connecting rod and crankshaft) will always beat out any expernal combustion system because the IC engine is simple better Point-of-Energy-Release converting.

A barreled internal combustion GUN will beat out on the face of this earth ANY emitted ray-gun or rocket gun.

Most DIY energy Developers are NOT doing this for themselves, for use by themselves to meet a three core value of useabilty:
does this produce/supply potable water in usable quantities for a four person family?
Will this assist in food production multiplication for the annual needs of a four person family?
Will this produce sustainable the energy that four person family needs for annual heating, safe cold food extension storage, modest amounts of night lighting and media stored music and video entertainment?

I can and DO.
Two houses here 1300sf and 1500sf (three toilets, 8sinks) will be cold season heated here on just 6 cord of site grown and harvest wood. My fir soft wood is low dnesity bulky. True heavier hardwood and I crow about only 3-4 cord usage. Samr stoves. Different wood use “hand” needed then.
I/we have done this for over 100 years. Use half the wood now we used to due to in-stove/woodgas/charcoal glow maximizing use-improvements in these last 15 years.
I CAN do the lighting of all now on just 400 watts. LED’s 2700k value.
I can full three station satellite TV system, CD music players on just 400 watts now too. Couple of thousand over the last 15 years to achieve this.
I could IF the Powers That Be would let me deep personal well supply us with all of out potable water on just 1/2 horsepower. The infamous “THEY”, will not let me. I waiting for those know to age die-off to have our own water-well un-remembered. Best I can do at this time is to Not have our well Remember and concrete filled deactivated “for Public safety”

Each and every appliance change as they have times in services failed; been half-the-use of inputs energy and water replaced. Sigh. These better energy/water efficient have all proven to require MORE use maintenance’s to keep functioning…

My/our 16 mpg rated old pick up truck gets 20-22 mpg. The older now 18-19 mpg rated 2007 medium SUV gets 23-29 mpg.
I actually only use in all of my small outdoor use engines 30 gallons USD of gasoline a year. Big year, last year I used 5 gallons of diesel. 10 years now on the same back-up for cooking 20 bl bottle of LPG.
AS WayneK answered me in the past why he did not woodgas his Mercedes engined sawmill,; his separate wood splitter and separate wood chunker. “it is not worth the effort to just use it for part of and hour.”

I, and any other really good Praticalist who CAN answer these three core values question will say:
WE do not have the answer for ALL.
Only for those willing to sweats work the problems. Daily.

No one else, at any time, has had, or will have, the energy-for-ALL answer either.
“THEY” only even get 10% all-use-the-same in 3rd-world countries; 50% in the USofA/Canada and a few others, 75% Japan/Western Europe All/Same/Better energy usage when they insist on energy supplying/use-monopoly by only them.

Nope. I do not play the Monopoly game. Boring. Juvenile.
More fun to go out and make an IC engine run for a worked purpose. A producing TOOL. Can’t have the kids playing with tools too young.

Steve Unruh

5 Likes

It is only by cultivating noble thought that one has access to true knowledge.

And that’s in a nutshell your life, Tree Grower cultivating, Mr Stève Unruh, here’s my thought.

3 Likes

You can hand crank anything if you have enough mechanical advantage and a way to store the energy.
SO I think its completely reasonable to say that capacitor bank can start a car.
I like it so much I am inclined to try and make one.

Here is an old fellow ( A-Hem… about our median age I guess HA HA ) hand cranking a mayboch 230 ( 1300 cubic inches and 650 hp engine ).
This unit is equipped with an inertia starter ( flywheel energy storage )

Here is an aviation inertia starter.
I like the sounds, and its kind of interesting because we all know that sound from film and TV but we may not have understood it.

I really like this one with a little girl hand cranking a what apears to be a 1 litre Kubota diesel.

I don;t know if you had these in the USA but we did.
I had an aunt with one and she could hand crank directly a Lada 1500.

5 Likes

I’m fighting the urge to put together one of those boost boxes just to prove Mr U wrong. But I’m trying to stay grown up. Not ready to become a child again yet. Thanks Mr Wallace.
Rindert

2 Likes

I have a small one that I played around with to run a blower. Never had the time to go further. So it’s been setting for a few years but that is OK because of no sulfation issues.

Solar-Fuel, onward !

1 Like

I’m a wee bit too young to remember. Seems like it had a pulley to wrap the starter rope around and maybe not.

Me love old iron too.

Solar-Fuel, onward !

2 Likes

Maxwell Technologies is supplying ultracapacitors to Crosspoint Kinetics to store energy and deliver power in a second-generation parallel electric hybrid drive system for small para-transit bus, shuttle bus and package delivery vehicle applications. The hybrid system incorporates Maxwell ultracapacitors for braking energy recuperation and electric torque assist to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. Regenerative braking is accomplished by running the hybrid drive system’s electric motor as a generator to slow the vehicle while creating electrical charge for the ultracapacitors. “The ultracapacitor module charges rapidly during regenerative braking to capture and store electrical energy that otherwise would be wasted in a conventional friction-based braking system, and it quickly delivers that energy to the electric motor for low-emission propulsion,” said Larry Zepp, Crosspoint Kinetics’ chief technologist. Maxwell ultracapacitors are powering more than 15,000 hybrid transit buses in service worldwide and are being employed in several other transportation applications, including a stop-start idle elimination system developed by Continental AG for micro hybrid diesel automobiles now being produced by PSA Peugeot Citroen in Europe. Unlike batteries, which produce and store energy by means of a chemical reaction, ultracapacitors store energy in an electric field. This electrostatic energy storage mechanism enables ultracapacitors to charge and discharge in as little as fractions of a second, perform normally over a broad temperature range (-40 to +65C), operate reliably through one million or more charge/discharge cycles and resist shock and vibration.
Read more at: Maxwell supplies ultracapacitors for Crosspoint's hybrid buses | Electric Vehicles Research

3 Likes

I have an old D6 Cat 9U series that will start the pony motor with a battery or with a crank rope.

5 Likes

Right. The point being that there has been a breakthrough in capacitor technology and capacitors are taking over roles they couldn’t fill before.
Rindert

1 Like

Back in the day when I worked in the oil and gas service we would start the 1200hp Cats with air or hydraulic starters.

Air:

Hydraulic but we used the road engine to power the hydraulic pump.

And new to me, Mr. Spring Starter:

Solar-Fuel, onward !

6 Likes

STIHL Easy2Start™ makes starting STIHL power tools easy and straight forward, without requiring a lot of effort. The secret is an additional spring between the crankshaft and the starter rope rotor. STIHL power tools with STIHL Easy2Start™ are indicated by the letter “E” in the model name.
This is how it works
An even pull with two fingers is sufficient. Compared with conventional starters, the STIHL Easy2Start™ not only requires less effort, but also allows the starter rope to be pulled approximately two-thirds slower
A spring housing with the spring and two drive lugs is fitted between the rope rotor and the crankshaft. The force used to pull the starter rope tensions the spring against the opposing force created by the piston during compression. If the energy of the pretensioned spring is greater than the opposing force created by the piston during compression, the crankshaft starts to turn and the engine attempts to fire.

3 Likes

Everything old is new again.

And this was the F&M kick start system.

Why did all of these go away?
How nice and would be simple wind up a spring today 5 times rather than yank a rope?
Some of these single cylinder motors today are 440cc, and OHV.
Sure they have compression release and retarders on the timing but that is a lot of pull over by hand.

I would sure like that as a retrofit on my snow blower.
The electric starter is B/O and pulling it is not easy.
I end up preheating it with a blow torch before I even attempt a start at less that 15 bellow…

I have a good mind to sit down and try and make one of my own.
Here and there on Ebay there are still a few around.
A smart fellow might adapt this to a small engine like a GX200, but I doubt it can crank anything larger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Techumseh-Engine-Windup-Starter-Crank-Ride-King-Vintage-Briggs-A-34-Swisher/264171372952?hash=item3d81d74198:g:a~8AAOSwb-1cUd5e:rk:6:pf:0

5 Likes

I have been thinking the same thing. Not sure how easy it would be to build. Maybe we could use a bungee cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TECUMSEH-WIND-UP-STARTER-RECOIL/303043588314?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D55991%26meid%3D6b1fbe1fa867409bb3fa9710edb16293%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D264171372952%26itm%3D303043588314&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

2 Likes