Why an IC piston engine will Always beat out ANY external combustion system

I remember someone in my family having a Toro with that starter. Most of the vintage rotary Toros had Tecumseh Engines. We went through a “Toro” phase and Dad and Grandpa usually had one of some kind. They hold up well. I will always remember that ratcheting sound, followed by “click!” and hope it starts the first or second time. :grin:

5 Likes

I have 2014 chevy cruz diesel , just bought first set of new tires EVER , Pirelli Zero
only problem has been weak bolt between engine and exaust .
Very good milage 45 to 60 MPG
Multijet is Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ term for its current common rail direct injection turbodiesel engine range. Most of the Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia range as well as certain Chrysler, RAM Trucks, Jeep and Maserati vehicles are equipped with Multijet engines. Ownership of some Fiat Multijet designs is shared with General Motors as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two auto conglomerates. GM Powertrain Torino group in Turin, Italy manages their interest in these engines. Some PSA Peugeot Citroën diesel engines are also rebadged JTD units, and vice versa. Fiat’s common rail diesel engine is also known as JTD, an initialism of Jet Turbo Diesel.[1]
The most common JTD engine is the 1.9 L straight-4 found on various brands and models. The first car that used this engine was Alfa Romeo 156 in 1997 (105 PS, 77 kW, 104 hp), making it the world’s first common-rail diesel passenger car. In 1999, it was introduced on the Fiat Punto JTD with a smaller, fixed-geometry turbocharger and 80 PS (59 kW; 79 hp), as well as in the Fiat Brava, Bravo and Marea range. There were also 85 PS (63 kW; 84 hp), 101 PS (74 kW; 100 hp), 105 PS (77 kW; 104 hp), 110 PS (81 kW; 110 hp), and 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) versions available. The engine block weighs approximately 125 kg (276 lb), the cylinder head features an overhead camshaft with directly actuated valves.

The Multijet second generation features an advanced common-rail system and is available with seven different power outputs. The 8-valve version has 101 PS (74 kW; 100 hp), 120 PS (88 kW; 120 hp), or 130 PS (96 kW; 130 hp) and the 16-valve version has 134 PS (99 kW; 132 hp), 138 PS (101 kW; 136 hp), 150 PS (110 kW; 150 hp), or 170 PS (130 kW; 170 hp). Except for the 101 PS Multijet, all engines feature a variable-geometry turbocharger.

4 Likes

Hi fellows. Been awhile since I’ve logged on to the DOW. Been very non-woodgas busy now. I expect to be this non-woodgas busy at least through until through next November-December.
Then if I am again like for the last five years winter hammered down with first the respiratory flu; turned to bronchitis; that evolving to viral phynomia AGAIN, probably be going Mike LaRosa/Maxgasman Net silent too. I did direct phoned tried. No responses.

Face it: for practical personal use applications woodgas and charcoal gas is now well well routed out solved for use in personal power-making internal combustion engines.
Here on the DOW that would be Gary Gilmore simple direct use charcoal systems for the small engines.
For the road-use vehicles Wayne Kieth’s personally made/endorsed system is the one.
For AG wheeled tractors WK’s, David Bailie’s, and Arvid Olsens works. And Ron Lemlers woodmill working, woodgased tractor system shows Industrial/Material handling woodgas DOable useage.
On the net available for small engines is Dutch Johns four systems woodgas engines works on his woodgas.nl site.
Ben Petersen’s step by step you-build-it Woodgasifiers Bible for stationary generators available thru Amazon.

Personal Rural-living committed tree-growers use was always my concern goal. Done deal now.

Why even post this up now? Couple, of three, reasons.
So I just do not M.Lr./M.G. mysteriously disappear on you all.
So no one will feel I am going away mad at anyone.
Ha! And my Wife keeps surfacing out and using my special Wobig hand crafted, gifted to me, coffee cup: “What Would Steve U. Do?” Argos 2014.
On any of the topic that I’ve authored and started, with the current forum-setup if at the beginning you click enabled the blue-box: Summarize This Topic; then most all of the my-not-intended topic drift post-jabber-do-nots are weeded out and you can focus only on my What-do’s with others, on-topic, relevant inputs. Not quite a Blog then, but close.
Ha! Ha! Chris Seanz’s Homestead topic then reads like a “I/we are doing this” Blog then. Wonderful.

So . . . . just what non-woodgas activities relevant to this thread topic am I pursuing now?
Taking all possible home/farm electric motors off and first converting to the 72cc Chinese-clone copies of the Yamaha engine. The best can-let sit unused for long periods of time solution for these only needed for part-of-an-hour shaft power like my two air compressors, the well pump, and so forth.
Second: the already four-stroked spark ignition engined useages here like the garden rototiller, riding and walk-behind(four-wheeled-powered) mowers, and the woodsplitter, the Kohler V-twin off of the swingblade sawmill; I will be converting to propane fuel. Using the 20 pound RV/bbq common bottles. Propane get’s you half-way to woodgas/charcoal gas conversions-useages.
And a 100-150 gallon delivery truck filled tank gets the cost here down still to only $1.79 a gallon USD.
As a 14-18 y.o. for an old German family dairy farm, I worked on seasonally; they only used small medium factory propane tractors for all of their light-medium working. Farm rate LPG delivered. Farm tank to tractor filled. Diesel tractor of course for the heavy working like plowing, hay baler/corn chopping, PTO silage blowing.

And before the adjacent National Forest to me gets completely locked our by the various now ultra-green “Friends” groups I’d like to just one more time be able to go up and see old stomping grounds like The Goat Rocks, Cougar Rock, the Lava Beds and a hundred more such. Places I once on maintained Forest Service roads could 2-wd drive to; then then direct-see, or short walk too. These roads mostly have not been restored and maintained since the bad-bad winter floods of 1996. The Greens want this to revert back to nature. Only then accessible to the ultra-fit young. Ha! I was once, back when I wore a younger-mans clothes. A touch-tell of development/Religion/Philosophy worthiness: does this include/accommodate for the Old and young children?? If not. YOU ARE WRONG! DEAD-END!
I am going to need a Trails type motorcycle to be able to do my see-one-last-time next summer adventuring… One I am not so heavily invested into, that when it gets confiscated and I am eventually found-out, and handcuffed-out of the “public-use-for-all” National Forest. Yeah. Anymore only as long as you are young, very fit, and can sing the Green-tunes.
A bike like an old Honda Elsinore MT250. But a current buy-lightly-modify/tune-for-reliability/durability, new production. NOT looking to make another kill-the-alligators project out of this!!
www.chinariders.net the RPS Hawk is looking to be the go-to one. The “AK-47” of Chinese enduro’s.
Gasoline use only. Old school push rod engine. Actually a for-Africa, for-South America cloned bike.

Woodgas a road-use motorcycle? I am too old. Too many local done-wronged who would opps, bump me off. Literally.
Now take one of the new production 250cc Chinese clone V-twins. Rear side saddle first convert to two 20 pound propane tanks. Ride it around a bunch to local’s desensitize. Then stuff those tank-forms with a charcoal gasifer system.

On my IC small use engines the Gary Gilmore inspired route I will be evolving now to replace the propane “needs-must” will be a charcoal pot system. Harbor Freight steel paint pot’s with the charcoal gasifer guts lid mounted down. The “char” made in-place with a standard lid w/chimney and a an in-the-bottom side upward chimney Ell al’la the English fellows book system. Use 2-3-4 of these cheap pots to make never touched engine fuel charcoal for batch-use engine fueling. The charcoal making “waste-heat” greenhouse heating. Domestic hot water heating.
Works with my very low mineral ash Douglas Fir wood with proper pre-chunking of the raw wood inputs. It “pillow-char” degrades into small pieces with no fines if you do not disturb it.
I will not be posting up or blogging about this work.
A local/regional solution for those wanting to direct-use, batch-time use for their small engines on our “poor firewood” Douglas Fir trees.

I actually will no longer be communicating with anyone I cannot face-to-face, and see directly with my own two eyes their woodpile, and that they actually do have committed to at least in-room house heating with THIER OWN site sourced fuel woods.
I no longer have the Life-time left for other’s spins-spins, do-never dreams and social-bravado games.

Had an old dog drop dead on us the night of our first for this winter, snow. Barking greeting my wife come home at 11:00 pm from teaching night classes. He’d had a good day. Two long sniff and scratch walk-abouts that day. Twice dunking himself in the flooded drainage ditch/creek. Eaten a good evening meal. Plunk. Fell/layed down in the nice new soft snow, dead. “Kody! Why you laying down, dog?” Heart failure my nursie wife figures.
How to go out. Happy. Doing.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Opps. I got home and reviewing my note saw that I completely left out the last, most important piece to the Wood-Fuel-for-Personal-Power uses puzzle. Bad, bad memory now with a bad, bad tendency to rabbit-hole myself. Need no outside help doing this.
Home electrical generation.
The in-use for 10years now off the shelf Inverter-Generator (IC engines!) units now solves this handily.
Honda is the name.
Backed up by Yamaha.
Use Honda EF3000i Handi and Honda EU3000iS units as a minimum. Goes up to well used solid proven now food-cart used 6000-7000 watt units.
Use Yamaha EF3000iS and EF3000I SEB units as a minimum. Currently Yamaha goes up to I believe to 4500 watt inverter-generator units.
This will give you an easy airbox mixer woodgassed/charcoal gases fueled capability of at least 1/2 of the rated on gasoline electrical power. No other changes or development needed.
And that power will be at all reasonable gasifier production outputs; varying engine power and RPM; with a solid frequency and voltage stable output. Too low of frequency or voltage. These units shut down all power outputs to save the consumers.
ALL electrical use, electronics safe.

What I did with engine driven DC alternators for decades. Just emulating what is done on live-in boats and big self-sufficient road RV’s.
THAT solution required battery banks. DC use consumers. Or, motor-generators converters; or HD inverter solutions. Not simple. Not cheap. Lots of maintenance points. Lots of failures points to puzzle out. Not for the weak of efforts or minds.

With the now evolved 1st world quality Inverter-(IC engined)-Generators this is all done in one package. Written manual layed out trouble shooting points. Still no power? Swap out that complete package just like you would do on an automobile with an internally regulated charging alternator. Detail out that units failure, later, at leisure.

To Practical True Rural living folks Fun is NOT having to time-involved sweat-out nitty shitty to get jobs done. Always more things to get done than hours in a day. Days in a week. Weeks in a year. Weak sister systems get junked out. Set aside for parts. Sold off to Hobbyists. Weak-effort family shipped off to the city relatives.

Harbor Freight now offers up a 3000 watt Inverter-generator unit. Uses the well proven 212cc OHV engine. But . . . .H.B. demand spec’ed lowest bid manufacture electronics package.
Many Chinese manufacturers can too make current world class stuff. It is our wholesale Buyers/Distributors demanding lowest cost possible who drive down the delivered quality.
I’d earlier on one of my topics posted up about a larger than a minimum spec/cost H.B. 63cc 2-stroke generator unit (a higher output 72cc ALLTrades branded unit) that had gone knocking noisy at just ~10 hours useage. Turned out to be the end of generator armature ball bearing spinning in the opposite of engine support housing. Spinning bearing then wearing out that pocket until loose and wobble rattling on the engine taper shaft. On it’s way to catastrophic self destruct.
Used the bigger, better fuel tank off that one to replace a seam split, leaking tank on one of my gifted out H.F. Predator units.
The 72cc engine now destined to run one of my air compressors. No-need, no stinking, air-sweating moisture collecting, metal fuel tanks for my farm use! All of these 2-strokers will be swap tank fueled with a five gallon plastic boat tank. Own primer bulb in the tanks fuel supply line. O-ringed quick disconnect fuel line come-with. Make up a quick connected spout and then squeeze bulb fuel up the chainsaws too. Ha! There. Direct-use simple. I like simple.

So try-use a Harbor Freight 3000 with the expectation you may very well need to buy a second for parts back up. Or warrantee return, waiting replacement approval.
Hey! You could buy 3-4 for the price of one of the Honda/Yamaha 3000’s. Buy ahead. Be Safe, backed up, ahead of time.

“But what about my currently owned 3500, 5500, 6500, synchronous 3600 RPM generator?” Sell it. Gift it away.
Synchronous RPM slaving sucks big time.
Sold. What I did with my made-in India 12/1 Listeroid HAND CRANKED variable compression engine.
Sold. What I did with my Miller Trailblazer 12kW welder-generator. Sweet. It had Delphi fuel injection.
Soon to be sold, or gifted-out, will be a huge, heavy, original made-in-BC Trace inverter unit. 12VDC. in. Modified wave 2500 watts 120/240 VAC out. Accepts an AC generator input.
The Rediline motor-generators I still have not gifted out I’ll be buried with these. Joke. Spare parts for those I’ve already gifted out.

Happiness is knowing when to give up on a gone-too complex, too time-sucking, better-idea, Solution that has turned sour.
Free yourself to move on.
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Or: " the thicker the cocoon shell, the more difficult to travel…"

Steve,
It would be insufficient to say that i would miss you in this digital world of internet communication…
It lacks the smell, tone , vibe’s and touch of the real world…

Whatever path you choose to be next, your trail will always be noticed by those who cared about your person…

Hoping that our paths will cross someday in real life…

Koen

7 Likes

Simple things like a coffee cup and a book can change how much a person looks at the world especially if enjoyed by being by or dreaming of being by the fire
Thank you Mr Steve

6 Likes

Dont forget that we define our own happiness - It is not cheating to change your goals if they no longer give you joy! And dont forget that each person has their own goals - and that is okay too. You are a DOer, so go out and DO. Find whatever brings you the most happiness, and do that for as long as it is fun. Dont let yourself get personally invested in the pursuits of people that do not interest you - some people enjoy just dreaming up projects and never actually doing them - a waking nightmare for a restless, energetic DOer.

I hope you find where you feel you are meant to be, and if you do any interesting projects involving trees, wood stoves, IC engines, cars, generators, hydro power, gardening, farming, tractors, or really anything mechanical … post about it on here, I for one will read it :grinning:

9 Likes

https://www.inresol.se/technology

modern sterling engine , small does produce power . dry lubricated piston ? Clean engine tribology technology
Dry lubricated bearings and pistons. It will run till it stops working , Then I guess there is nothing you can do with it .

The INRESOL Stirling engine power output is made through a multimode inverter where the power can flow bidirectional between the power loads, the grid connection and the internal battery storage. The generator operates at 5kW producing 565Vdc via a rectifier that feeds the power into a DC-bus. The DC-bus then feeds a grid inverter to power electrical loads and a DC/DC converter that charges a battery at 300Vdc. The battery DC/DC converter is bidirectional, so the power can flow in any direction in the generator, depending on current situation and power needed.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Small starlings are pretty well covered ground at this point… Have you tried contacting them for price and availability? I have not tried them but I have contacted several small stirling makers over the years with disappointing results. You can’t just buy it it goes through a engineering/design/project company, its made in such small numbers its very expensive, its a magic box that cannot be fixed or modified, the knowledge pool about them is very small I E expensive, etc etc…
I like to think if they brought something better to the party they would be more widely available at this point.
Cheers, David

6 Likes

If I could buy one off the shelf at Home Depot for $399 , $500 with firebox I would . The battery , I would Rent , I think Tesla has put more batteries into utility storage then cars .

2 Likes

I think there can be a wood powered sterling engine for the home power, heating , cooling plant , that could replace the honda engine . Sterling engines were in demand but were replaced by smaller more powerful IC piston engine .

5 Likes