Wood (gas) heated greenhouse

Hi Kristijant

I am curious! :thinking:

you do not notice any problems with plants because of the overheating of the roots?

What height of land is there above the flue? (height between ground surface and flue pipe)

Thierry

Hi Thierry!

No, no plant roots overheating detected! The soil is in fact cold to the touch. There is about 60cm of sandstone above the flue, and soil is on the sandstone.
But, the flue doesent only heat up, it allso heats down and sideways. This means the flue heats about 10m3 of sandstone, wich is s lot of mass to heat, but allso s lot of mass to cool at hight.

6 Likes

Update:

So far so good. The winter is mild this year with temps around freezing all the time, so l only light the heater now and then. Still building the beds when l get the time. l stack lairs of mole hills, sand from the root celar, composted manure and chardust. Its up to worms to do their job of mixing now. And worms l hame MANY. So many, they atracted a mole in the greenhouse. The litle submarine now cruises in the bed, need to smoke the litle bugger out.

17 Likes

Very nice watering system you have. TomC

2 Likes

That has to be one tough mole after watching the sparks fly when you were digging the hole!

2 Likes

Envious is the word that comes to my mind.
Well, I do get to shovel, but only the white stuff (+ chunks of course).

1 Like

Update

13 Likes

Impressive Kristijan! You must have put a lot of hours into hard digging. Also having the plants survive in -20 C shows you take good care of the mistress (stove) :smile:

3 Likes

Difference between heater on wood and heater on gas for me is that gas heater is way more stable and more secure, could be distantly operated and give bigger outcome in heating overall.

1 Like

Hi Jimmy,
Agree, but there is just one problem. Gas doesent grow free in my forest :wink: for next winter l will make a woodgas heater most likely, that will burn wood chunks/chips. Equiped with a thermostat to adjust the draft, shuld be a lot more automatisated thain it is now.

6 Likes

Second time this Jimmy Jar fellow is directing to off site non-wood-use energy links.

Admin. Clean up on isle 2 needed here.

S.U.

6 Likes

Persistent for a spammer… Banned and links removed. Posts left for sake of discussion.

7 Likes

Potatoes in March? Wood power!

All growing well, l hadnt fired the heater for more thain a month now. I have a bit of a problem with one persistant bugger, the mole. The litle beast doesent realy eat anything, he just makes a maze in the bed. A bit of sulphur/potasium nitrate mix burned in a barrow will smoke him out

13 Likes

Kristjan, love your greenhouse. How many hours of sunlight do you get through the winter. Do you add light. This year was my first time trying any indoor winter gardening. I didn’t grow much but lack of light here is a problem. Days are very short and it is cloudy from the end of December till the third week of February. I did learn a lot . This year I will bring in mature plants to harvest through the winter. I will use supplemental light in the garage for starting seeds but not till February.

Hi Jim,

Not many unfortunaly. In adition to the light being shorter its allso much weaker.

I only lit a small neon above the seedlings in the end of January.

Thisis exactly the purpose of this project too. Grow mature plants in the fall and harvest all winter while they slooowly grow. Allso, to over winter heat loving peranual plants like tomatoes and peppers. The bushes l overwintered are fully developed and in flower at the moment, in comparison l wuld usualy just have a inch high seedlings at this time of year to be planted in mid May.

7 Likes

Jim, Kristijan is around the 46th latitude which is very similar to you and I. This is why I pay attention to this thread. Number of days of sun maybe different but the angle is similar.

7 Likes

I am really impressed with the results of your greenhouse project, Kristijan. If I didnt have such a backlog of big projects I think I would add something similar to my list. My advice on the mole is to learn to live with him - they are fiendishly hard to catch and they are smart enough to block off their tunnels if you try and gas them. Here in Oregon we have gophers, which are worse than moles. I had one get into a 160 foot row of potatoes and just cruise down the bed. By the time I noticed the mounds he had cleared out almost the whole thing. I got kinda mad and nearly exterminated them from our property - got 70 on 8 acres in the course of a year. Of course, the next spring they came back in from the neighboring farms, but so it goes. If you do decide to remove the mole, i highly recommend cinch traps.

But good luck all the same, moles are wily.

2 Likes

Well Carl l learned something new today. I thod both moles and gophers are called mole in English. It is a gopher l have (had). Moles do not bother mee at all, if anythink l like their presence, they clean the soil of bugs.
Gophers are litle helpers of satan. I had exactly the same experiance with potatoes 2 years back.

2 tricks for gophers.
One is they hate meat. My grand father always burryed a dead cat under young apple trees. They cant stand the smell of rotting flesh.
Second is a recepie for “mole charges” that realy work marvels for me. mix one part potassium nitrate, one part sulfur and one part fine sawdust. Roll in news paper like a sausage, light and push in a fresh barrow. Put a rock on to seal it. The charge will burn like a rocket and quickly fill the barrow with a toxic mix of SO2 and CO, while the gases and burn byproducts are harmless to plants. Eaven if the gas doesent kill him, the soil stinks of sulphur and he will move to neighbours garden :wink:

I never got luck with traps. Some report sucsess with mole pistols, those are cast heavyly out of aluminium and have a firing mechanism that fires when the gopher wants to burry the barrow end. They are loaded with 9mm blanks. But those are too dangerous for me.

Anyway, l gassed myne the other day and l found no new barrows ever since.

7 Likes

I have only ever tried burning straight sulfur with a propane torch, and that does not work - I might have to try your satanic sausage method on the next trap-shy gopher i face. I have tried a lot of different traps, but have gotten pretty proficient with the cinch style. I have seen the old blank cartridge type you are talking about, and there is a modern version that uses .22 blanks (Called the mole-cat I think). Problem is they really gouge you on the charges, like $1 per round or something. I had thought about trying to modify a .22 cal concrete nailer into a gopher death machine, but thought better of it. Here in the wild west days of pre-911 farmers would go buy a box of blasting caps, wire them up with insulated foils that closed a circuit when the gopher touches them and then leave it hooked to a 6 volt lantern battery. I knew a guy who almost lost his hearing because he didnt unhook the battery before removing the dirt from a cap that didnt detonate. Explosives is something that I feel should be left to the experts. Anyway, its always nice to meet a brother-in-arms in the war against those horrible rodents. Happy hunting.

6 Likes

Another use for a dead :cat2: gotta love it :grinning:

3 Likes