Wood gasification boiler

and here we go…

“The Federal Bureau of Mines has developed a hydrometallurgical method to recover aluminum, aluminum oxide, and fluxing salts from aluminum salt slags. The slag is leached with water at room temperature to produce a saturated brine slurry. Screening of the slurry yields an aluminum-rich fraction that can be returned to the dross furnace. The remaining slurry is vacuum filtered, yielding a clear brine solution and an aluminum oxide filter cake. Evaporation of the clear filtrate produces a high-purity fluxing salt for reuse in the dross furnace. Over 80 pct of the metallic aluminum is recovered in the aluminum-rich oversize fraction, while essentially all the fluxing salts are recovered by evaporation. This report contains the final results of an investigation on a process research unit scale, an economic evaluation of the method, and recommendations to further improve the process.”

1 Like

All good info though i would rather buy that stuff then try makeing, its another good material brick money maker for somebody.I see the ceramic blanket has lots of aluminum silica on the ingreediance.HWWT. I will check out there coatings for ceramics and metal, at ceramaterial.com Thanks

2 Likes

I totally get it and would probably do the same for something I needed to rely on.

Kaolin is like 40% aluminum and has silicon in it. Which I am guessing forms silicate alumina when it is baked.

This is kind of for my own notes which I am sharing. I apologize

From iforgeiron.com
“I use a fumed silica solution (water and fumed silica) for rigidizer. I’ll combine this rigidizer with zircopax and kaolin (range of 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of zircopax to kaolin) to make a very economical reflective coating. It will eventually wear out over use, but it’s reasonably tough and does a nice job making the forge reflect heat. I also paint this on the hard fire brick that I use to block the front opening of the forge - I paid for that heat, and I don’t want it to escape without doing some work. ITC 100 is nifty stuff, but I like the price of my home brew coating better.” Then someone else mentioned itc100 was designed to wear out also…

1 Like

Lots of material names, nice experiments, Thanks for posting the experiment, I think water glass might work too for top coat or hot faceing the insulated parts. Those components he is useing to keep the heat in the desired area,i will have too check it out the available supply.Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Making alumina out of cans isnt hard at all, they shuld be desolved in sodium hidroxide, the product aluminium hidroxide baked to form alumina.

6 Likes

It depends on how hot you need it to withstand. Water glass falls apart I think at 1500f. It can’t be used for bronze and Copper casting. However in a wood boiler, it might hold up.

I did run into a video on how to make it though. It is expensive. If it was cheap, I would totally use it. Actually you can use it for sand casting molds as well…

1 Like

Hi kristijan Thanks for the tips on makeing alumina for fire brick addition for higher temp rateings. I dont know ware too get the jell beads too make water glass, or maybe not what they call the stuff in the dry form before the heating process too make the liquid salution. caint seem too find it other than the liquid water glass prices.Have you any clues makeing water glass tips, And how is the charco vehicle running.?? Thanks.

2 Likes

Cant say for sure, l get waterglass for free at work so l never tryed making one. There were some instructions here somewhere thugh…

Thanks for asking, l have been burning dino for about 7 months now, unfortunaly things didnt go as planed last winter and l was unable to prepare enough wood. But l will soon start my greenhouse heater wich shuld produce plenty of charcoal. you been SWEMing any?

4 Likes

It is high heat like 1000C.

They are the silicon packets they put in like shoes and other things to absorb moisture in packaging and I think it is used in cold packs. Maybe welding rod shop with them.
It is silicon dioxide gel. Which some people are saying is found in Kitty litter on YouTube. I’m skeptical of that claim.

You can purify sand and use that as your silicon dioxide instead, but silicosis is always a concern working with sand.

3 Likes

No DOW here either, i needed a new straw filter on my old chevy s10’ Then i bought a newer s10 computorized 2000 4.3 rattle trap, supposed too be low miles. Runs good.Any way i and working on putting gasifier on trailer set up next after my new hay filter installed will like too try the newer computer truck this winter some time on bio fuel. Then makeing money and other projects eating away at the project time.

2 Likes

That might be the same stuff they are useing for desicant, beads i see on ebay in little cloth sacks.for keeping moisture down. ?

2 Likes

Exactly the same stuff. Then I think you treat it with sodium hydroxide/lye to make sodium silicon. You can purify sand to use as well but it is additional steps of course.

2 Likes

You can buy bulk sodium silicate powder at alibaba express, much cheaper, not sure but i think same stuff or will make water glass, might not be as food grade, but probbly much cheaper. ?? Since it is used in so many applications industrially it may be A trade name or called a little different names.

1 Like

It is probably the same stuff. The “Canadian chemist” on YouTube just cleaned beach sand with HCl. Then treated it with like NaOH. I can’t imagine it isn’t cheap especially in lower purity which I doubt matters for a refractory you are mixing with another impure substance.

2 Likes

White silica blasting sand should just about do, I would expect. I believe industrial Sorb-all (diatomaceous earth) is pure fossilized silica diatom skeletons, no idea of the purity, but should be up there, and commonly available

1 Like

White silica blasting sand is probably what you want. I believe pure silicone dioxide is white sand. Diacotomus Earth I believe has calcium in it.

1 Like

They apparently make a silicon gel kitty litter, that is a lot simpler, and probably cheaper. This guy is pretty good. Note towards the end, about the ratios for kiln use.

3 Likes

Thanks much Sean Omalley for posting the above vidio, that looks more like a better price range, and you found the names too look for, kitty litter crystals. 8# for 14 bucks i am ready too experiment for casting or radiator road repairs.

4 Likes

You can use this for fixing radiators? I didn’t know that. :slight_smile: You just topically apply it?

It is definitely within reach without a tremendous amount of work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well not sure about drying time for exturner patches, but it has been used for head gasket leak fix or smaller head/cyclinder cracks,just add some concitraited silica water glass in the radiator water without the antifrerze ,

3 Likes