Wood gasification boiler

I never heard of it for radiators. That is why I asked. It is used as a concrete floor sealer and to fix head gaskets for sure.

Apparently you can make it from crushed recycled glass bottles. They used two methods, one was the high temp, the other was a low temp reaction. but they got 75% yield with the low temp reaction. Granted they were using 60 micron bits of glass. but…
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287186196_Conversion_of_waste_glasses_into_sodium_silicate_solutions

However it is probably good enough for kiln grade.and it roughly equates to “super fine” glass beads.

2 Likes

The only problem with makeing water glass out of trash glass bottles,is the glass that could so easy too get in ones EYE, The EYE doctor bill wouldent rate the saveing in just buying the fine powderd glass from a glass mill company in bulk, Though it would be woth a try if supper carfull hammer milling the glass by a big bar and rag over top of 5 gallon bucket, just too see what finess it might take too make diy crushed glass desulve intoo waterglass. Slivers of glass are the worst thing too land in ones EYE DUE too the razor edges if would have too be sergicly remove by an EYE DOCTOR.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree. you probably want a ball mill to do it. I have crushed glass with a hammer and wet piece of cloth, but I don’t recommend it. However, crushing it might get around the initial acid purification treatment that you need to do if you start with sand to get rid of organic material, iron and calcium.

2 Likes

You do know they sell refractory bricks for not too high a price right? It is beginning to sound like a good investment to just go buy some to me.

4 Likes

That is a defeatest attitude for a DIYer! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like to think of it as how to make the best usage of my limited resources one of them being time.

5 Likes

Go to the local dump for crushed glass. I agree with Kevin that a sliver in an eye would negate the value of crushing glass. However, every recycling chain is crushing glass, and has no better use for it than as sand replacement. It should be available for dollars a ton.

2 Likes

Not trying too make fire brick out of it, trying too make liquid water glasss,for many different projects, just not sure yet how small the glass would have too be crushed, in order for it too work for Diy WaterGlass.No problem just fishing for info. Side work.

4 Likes

I was wondering the same thing, since you can heat NaOH up and it will eat glass. There is a youtube video of course of someone demonstrated that.

They used 60um in the experiment to give as much surfae area as possible.

The biggest problem I see is it hardens with exposure to CO2 so you really want a lid on it especially if you are going to cook it at an hour at 400F.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info on fire bricks, and the waterglass DIY INFO.THAT ALL WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

Did you try the diy waterglass? or just the firebricks? Or you are just happy with all the info? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just was on the info trip so far, Getting a note colection for later when time actually permits, been helping with my dad for about 11 months, he passed friday 3:18 pm in his own home.84 years old had skin cansor about 8 years melinoma, had elzimers bad about little over a year.

Kevin , Very sorry to hear about your Dad.

7 Likes

Thanks Wayne Keith he will be missed. I am glad his suffering last few years are done, He done his best too keep the peice in the famely as he could.It wasent easy, So it goes.Here today gone tomaro. OH i cant remember all his saying yet.he knew he was close up too his last three days of shut down.Thanks for the thought.

3 Likes

Kevin , I will be praying for you and the family at this time of the lost of your Dad.
Bob

2 Likes

Thanks Bob Mac it will be much needed and helpfull indeed.My real mom died few months ago, he was maried too step mother!!.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. Cancer and alzheimers is rough. It is hard to deal with… I don’t wish that experience on anyone.

5 Likes

Thanks man its been hard too except/believe lossing both father and mother few months apart. bible says lifes but a vapor, aperrith for a short time and vanish away, & Its apointed unto man onto man once too die. but if we forgive each others sins, are sins will be forgiven, as far as the east is from the west. Think i miss Quoted a bit.

5 Likes

“Think i miss Quoted a bit.”
Maybe a word or two, but you can’t misquote what’s in your heart, Kevin.

4 Likes

Thanks Richard.No truer words a spoken.

6 Likes