Wood Powered Caddy

It shouldn’t be getting over 600 degrees anywhere you use sealant. That’s hot enough to blister regular paint.

I use regular bathroom silicone most places, and Permatex Right Stuff on the hot or critical areas. I don’t like the red silicone, it has problems curing correctly.

1 Like

Where did it melt Herb?

Hi Carl, its the burn tube lid, where it sits on bottom drum!

Well I decided to go with the old tried and true stove gasket rope, it installed very nice, didn’t even have to cut it for length and the 5/8 rope fit in the 55 gal lid perfectly!
Has anyone had experience with that 2000 degree gasket sealer I pictured above?

3 Likes

Good morning Herb.
This looks like the stuff I bought from Menard’s for my miniWK. It worked well for me. I soaked the rope with the sealant that came with it before placing it in the groove. My problem is I had to break my hopper down when I transported it. I found the sealant would get hard and crusty after it got hot. When I replace it, I will set it up like you have in this picture with the sealant only on the one side.
Looks good and I am waiting for the video of the Caddy back on the road.

2 Likes

That’s the stuff I used. Had to do it twice didn’t buy the bigger rope the first time no problems since

Yeah that 5/8 rope works great, I was going to put some of the sealer on it but it fit so good didn’t have to, it practically snapped in the grove!
Got her back together and planning on taking it out for a test tomorrow !!

6 Likes

Walk around and start!!

7 Likes

Great job Herb, so good I could smell it! Petal to the metal, lets see some more.

Good video Herb. A question. Could you give us more detail on your lid? I don’t think I have run for more than a month without rebuilding my lid because it always leaks. Mine of course is not a WK type lid. It is more like yours.TomC

PS. You just gave a new meaning to adding a couple of “bags” of wood.

I used to have a lot of those Menard’s bags!

Thanks Carl, I videoed the whole ride and have it divided into three and am working on getting them uploaded, with a little luck and an act of God I will be able to get them on here before the day is out!

Tom looking forward to meeting you in Topeka in Oct! On the lid I came across that way of doing it by accident! When I first built it I thought I could make it air tight by having the lid slip inside the hopper with a tapper fit, it didn’t work very good so with it closed I applied (smeared) that red silicone over the seam and the next morning I cut it directly on top of the hopper flange and opened the lid! It’s been like that ever since, works pretty good!
Going to try to post the other too vids!

Hopefully this is the continuation of the same ride!

4 Likes

And the third and final of same ride!

3 Likes

Thanks Mr. Herb

I really enjoyed :relaxed:

Hey Herb. Thanks for the ride. Is that a 3.8L engine? I hate to say it but I’m not making the trip to Topeka. It would be 800 miles one way. I think you have me confused with Tom Wolburg ( if I didn’t spell your name correct Tom, I am sorry. I did spend a lot of time trying to find the original posts where I believe your name was listed.) TomC

O I had the wrong Tom! I forget who all was planning on going to Topeka! I know Chris put up a list of possibilities somewhere!

I was thinking you lived central Neb someplace! The Caddy has a 4.9 V8, a very nice running engine, I don’t even have to advance timing, maybe the computer does it I don’t know, I did put a arm on the dis but I don’t use it anymore, not worth the hassle, I think jackin it up helped a little but it runs good enough the way it is on woodgas!

No problems guys
Glad I got to meet you Tomc at Argos
Herb I tried to hook up with you a couple years ago when I was working in the KC area but something happened with the caddy and you weren’t able to bring it. Really looking forward to Topeka so I can finally shake your hand

O yeah I remember , we were going to meet in KC! I thought the fuel pump went out of the Caddy but come to find out it was so low on oil because with so much more vacuum it sucked oil out of the crank case thru the PCV , thank God it has a oil pressure switch on it that shuts off the fuel pump or I would have probably ran the engine out of oil!
OK I think I have it straight now, lookin forward to meeting you Tom W!!!

1 Like

That’s a sweet ride, makes me want to do a caddy too.