Wood supply

Joep, I’m doomed to use diesel engines that still use diesel fuel, otherwise a smaller amount, … let’s say 10 -20% of the power on diesel fuel.

7 Likes

The only paper cartons I see around here is about a month or so out of the year is my precious eggnog. Now we get charged for grocery bags so my wife’s hoarding of then over the years is paiying off to bring our own

5 Likes

Thanks Tone! Not judging, just curious how far you can squeeze it.

4 Likes

To start, it is necessary to slightly increase the fuel limit, but when the engine reaches higher speeds, I reduce the fuel. As you noticed, I turned the cap screw so the spring part is outside and the fixed part acts on the cap. If the engine speed is reduced due to the load, it stops because the amount of fuel is not enough to operate at lower speeds and start is not possible.

8 Likes

Wayne and others gotta make hay while the sun shines, Steve and I gotta dry wood while the sun shines in this wet side of the state!

13 Likes

Did you ever see my wood dryer Marcus. I never did use it to make charcoal as some suggested and I don’t really use it since I went black but it works really well. I can dry about a thirty gallon load in a less than two hours while I’m occupied with other things in the area. The rocket heater does need to be kept loaded about every 20 minutes.

4 Likes

If I get to wood production at home where I could tend the rocket stove that would be a great way to do it. But so far my best effective wood production is this nice smooth shop floor at work I can easily shovel the chunks off of if dry enough (pallet wood) I bag it the next day. All the maples I have been removing lately after chunked they take a good while to dry, be it in the heated back room in the wire cage with fans blowing or in these fish boxes I found stacked in the back of the yard out in the sun. About 3 days and the top layer is ready to burn, but the bottom just does not breath well and gets surface mold. If I had not sold off my big oil tanks when I moved I would make them from that tank. I think I still might have that big air tank I could use, I don’t have any extra drums at this time. But looks like it would dry a full hopper load of wood pretty easily

3 Likes

Keeping a rocket stove fueled is a good job for those boys. The point of my dryer is that it requires no additional power. The moisture in the wood is naturally convected up the stack. For more volume I would consider a larger horizontal tank but that would take a fan to move the heat through it and extract the moisture. Back in the day I saw more than a few home made wood drying Kilns for drying lumber. they were typically back plastic tunnels in which the heat pulled the moisture out of the wood alright but without fans it just condensed and much of it just returned to the wood.

5 Likes

A solar kiln of sorts, which I have thought when I get my own chunk of land I will make for storing chunks in

5 Likes

I’m still planning to make some with my truck bed liners. Clear corrugated plastic roof, angled downwards so condensation will run out, and maybe a little solar powered fan to draw air out. Just need time to go buy some roofing.

5 Likes

Our milk cartons are all plastic now. Even the waxed (Plastic coated?) paper cartons for the specialty drinks have a plastic pour spout on top. Walmart built a new dairy processing facility on the south side of Fort Wayne. All of their milk comes in opaque white plastic cartons, that degrade quickly. Kroger uses translucent plastic that lasts a little longer. (we store water in the basement in washed-out milk cartons).

3 Likes

This Yanmar is interesting, how it behaves on wood gas, today it worked for approx. 2 hours and sucked gas, it did not use even 0.5l of diesel fuel. Here is the video when I stopped working, the amount of oil is so small that it stops as soon as I move the hydraulic cylinder.

12 Likes

Looking good Tone. 0.5l is not much. What amount would you expect on 100% diesel?

4 Likes

I don’t know, JO, I would probably use 1.5 to 2 l per hour at these speeds and load, and here 2 dcl. This engine has direct fuel injection and I think it runs even better on wood gas than the Kubota with pre-chamber injection.

5 Likes

Thanks, Tone. And yes, that is what I read everywhere, direct injecting. And your mixing device is very interesting too😃 . I get the feeling that I start to understand woodgas. Time has come for some DOing. Very interesting info is coming my way at the moment. This is one piece. Thanks.

5 Likes

You are doing very good work Tone. The now proven fact that these engines can be run with the supplement of a small amount of liquid fuel added to the wood gas is in some ways a game changer because you are still working within the boundaries of self sufficiency, which is my main interest. Bio and black diesel and methanol are all easily made by the average person.

6 Likes

Tone,
Okay, I need the details of the yanmar powered garden tractor. Take a video of how it is constructed! It is fantastic. I really like it. Thanks

6 Likes

I am not sure they still make those. But if you know any local farmers with pigs or chickens they will have an ample supply of feed bags woven plastic ofcourse as those are all we seem to have now but they do breath some to keep the grain from rotting i would think those would work well.

4 Likes

Tone that is very cool i have the Chinese knock off of that same motor in a case ingersoll 448 that i use all the time. I am willing to bet running it on wood would smell much nicer than on diesel fuel too.
I have thought about a charcoal gasifer for it but i never seem to find the time.

6 Likes

Tone,
These small diesels are rare as hen’s teeth here in North America. I don’t know why. We have lots of choices in spark-ignition gasoline / petrol small engines to make up for that. I love what you are doing, trying, using regarding wood gas in various engine types!

8 Likes