Wood supply

Thats a fast chunker, will it chunk any green hard wood or just soft wood and what the biggest wood it cuts THANKS for posting, thats a much faster method than are one at a time chunkers, And what type of chunkers are these called, can they be bought, or cheaper and stronger too build my own, THANKS.

1 Like

It’s called a rebak, and there’s a company in the US that sells them but I think the biggest pieces they can cut here is about 2" diameter.

OK thanks, the vidio looked more like 3" branches, maybe he found a heavier duty one. Looks like worth makeing one for branch chunk time savings, when time permits.

1 Like

JO made his own, I think he has a post about it somewhere.

They definitely are made for chomping green wood.

1 Like

OK thanks cody ,i will have too check with him later,about the exact design details.

1 Like

JO´s Rebak Chunker have fun reading, I have been through his build several times now, just trying to not get distracted from my own builds before I jump into another one like his :grinning:

6 Likes

Here you go Kevin. Plenty rebaks on Youtube, but this one shows in detail without guards and stuff.

6 Likes

Just another random load of wood. No 11 this fall. Another half a dussin loads to go before snow.
About a gallon saved for each load keeping the Fergie parked.

Edit: Not to mention gym ticket savings :smile:

11 Likes

Wayne is that sweet gum?
ive got about 3 dump truck loads of sweet gum firewood logs that need processed.

5 Likes

Hey Jakob .

Might be a piece or two sweet gum . I don’t like it because it is so hard to split .

6 Likes

Just a thought that might help , if you look or come across plastic recycling machines they can easily be used for this type of work , search granulators or pelletiser’s the bases for these machines could easily be converted i think .

I like the simplicity of this one ,

Dave

10 Likes

Jakob,
You have my sympathies. I’m sure you have better processing equipment than I have. I thanked the guy from my church who gave me a trailer load of sweet gum a few years ago. After I finished splitting it, I was thinking, “Don’t do me any more favors.” It actually burns very well. I started making charcoal in my stove like Dave and Brian do while burning that sweet gum, and I’m currently using that in the Toyota. Sweet gum makes good charcoal.

12 Likes

no you probably have better equipment than I. I have a chainsaw and a splitting maul. although most of this is small enough to not need split.

6 Likes

A friend gave me this saw. Said the vibrations hurt his wrists. I adjusted the mixture screws so it runs good. It cuts good. I didn’t ask a lot of questions. You don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, you know. My only experience was with a Stihl 240, back in the 1970s. Is there anything I should know about this saw?

7 Likes

That looks like getiup and go exersize, I am tired just looking at them big logs, they must be 16 too 20 feet long, are you tractor too load trailer.? I saved the rebak chunker vidio ,THANKS IS there a way too adjust the length of chunks while building a rebak chunker,THANKS< that looks worth building, do the blades last one year before needing trueing up stait again.??THANKS

4 Likes

Just one peace of advice in general when adjusting carbs on small fast two strokes. If you set it so that you get maximum rpm or power, its too good :smile: whats the right amount, hard to say, but generaly you want it to run rich and limit the max rpm with giving it more gas. I learned this the hard way, adjusting a cheap chainsaw, it was quite new but it seemed lazy. I felt like it shuld put out more, and boy it did once l set the carb! But only for about 5 minutes, then the saw just made a “thump” sound and the piston welded on the cylinder :smile:

Chainsaw expert Goran will correct me if lm wrong l hope…

8 Likes

Did you smell NOx? I have learned to recognize it. I adjust it so it makes a little smoke. I think its normal because of the 2 cycle oil.
Rindert

4 Likes

Cant remember but it makes sence.

1 Like

My favourite way of adjusting chainsaws, if it don’t run, carefully screw both adjusting screw’s to “bottom” not hard, even a screwdriver with to good shaft/grip, t-handle for example can give you to much torque without feeling it.
From bottom open up 1 turn each, and start from there.
Let saw idle/give it some gas til it’s warm (1 minute or so) close low (L) needle til rpm increases, then back some, test for “acceleration” /gas response.
Then saw some, no full throttle/heavy load, til it’s hot, then, run it “free” full throttle, and close the H needle til it really screams, don’t do this too long time, take short breaks, after it really screams full throttle, open H needle til it just starts to “bludder” (four stroking) you want it to do this all full throttle without load, with load it should “clean up” in the cut, and really “sing”

Sorry, that was a lot of typing, but this is a working method i once learned from the older guy’s, and i’ve seen many more doing it this way, needs some training to get it really perfect.
And: if uncertain, open the needles a little tiny bit more, better a little to much fuel than to little.
Edit: im no chainsaw expert, i just like them :smiley:

6 Likes

Nope. Only :muscle: :hot_face:

5 inch gear dia and 4 blades per shaft is about what we need.

Depends on the material, but when chunks stay together like a string of sausages you know it’s time.

4 Likes