Wood supply

Don’t want to ruffle any feathers JO, but how is your chunker not better than the the other styles. It’s fast and you are at no risk of getting an amputation. Does it work as well with much harder woods?

Those pieces of wood would make very good dome struts Marcus. I know you need fuel, but there must be something junkier. Some day soon you are going to wish you had those back.

5 Likes

Cody, I tried chain saw,too much waste, chop saw with a 14” blade. Scary, and then the blade caught warped and broke the arm off

Got a used 14” bandsaw with 3/4 hp motor and 3/4” blade with 3 TPI.
Works great and as long as you stay away from HF blades which dull quickly and break easily.
I put on a Carlson blade 2 years ago and have cut under 8” stuff , hundreds of gallons of 2” thick Pattie’s and still going strong.

Chunked is best but requires pre splitting to under 3”, and 2” if dry.

7 Likes

Sounds like my idea will work, then. I do have a vertical wood bandsaw but also a metal cutting bandsaw. I figure if I use the jaws of the vise as a cradle to support the wood I can just drop the saw on it. I’ll have to order a blade and try it out.

My vertical bandsaw doesn’t have a table, also in an odd place in the wood shop.

4 Likes

I would use a radial arm saw. I don’t think anyone uses them anymore so there must be real cheap ones out there. I cut up Jacob’s wood with a miter saw. It was OK but kind of awkward for odd shaped branches.

4 Likes

All this coppice wood has a lot of knots, I think the carbide toothed saw blade I got for my miter saw is too aggressive/coarse. It just grabs the wood and wants to either throw it into my stomach or wedge into the blade guard.

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

Your chunker tire seems to be from the same batch as the one I showed you a couple weeks back :laughing:

Dry wood is a no go. The belt slips. Also, I’ve found maple limbs to be quite tough, even green. We have no oak or beech up here, so I don’t have to worry about them. Only regret is I should have made the rebak just a hair bigger. 2" material is the limit right now.

7 Likes

2" is about the favorite size for my chunker as well and seem to run the best in my Toyota. I’m curious if the dodge will want something else :thinking: do you see a difference between the Mazda and Volvo? I remember you were fighting high vacuum on the Volvo, I don’t recall that on the Mazda

2 Likes

I have seen a few cheap ones. They are really handy, but you have to be really careful, like not ever be in the path of the moving blade because there is almost nothing stopping the blade from rolling off and hitting you. They also aren’t quite as accurate. But they are extremely versatile, you don’t need the mitre saw, table saw, etc. if you are mainly doing smaller cuts like for furniture.

3 Likes

The vacuum ratio on the Volvo is usually still a little higher than I like and its 12" firetube can accept bigger fuel.The wider choke didn’t help. I think my grate sits simply too close to choke support.
The Mazda 10" gasifier has no grate and the vacuum ratio varies a lot with driving habits. Works best within a 10-20 mile radious. The charbed cleans up too good on longer open road speeds.

5 Likes

So the gas gets too hot with longer drives because it’s opening up? That’s interesting.

3 Likes

Me sneaking home with a load of slabs cut for a sauna stove, and stored inside a house for 50 years. Calender in the sauna was from 1972.
I put that wood away in dry storage immediately! January month wood.

9 Likes

Ran the mill a little. Grill covers work great on these small mills.

14 Likes

I got a second oil tank. Another 250 gallon cylindrical one.

I am thinking about making a wood drying kiln out of it for chunks, and using one or two of these to bring in a flow of hot air.

Perfect? I doubt it. Passive? Bingo.

5 Likes

I built a couple of these many years ago from Mother Earth News plans. Worked good but didn’t have the fan. That would have been a real plus. You are going to need a bigger fan on the other end to pull out the moisture.

5 Likes

After work fun.

14 Likes

Hey JO , Looks like we both are having fun :grinning:

Wood in buckets and bags, drying on trailers and a pile to chunk tomorrow.

Have Wood Will Travel

8 Likes

Thought I’d make another manual backup to wood processing. I had an old wobbly sawhorse and this inexpensive lopper. This will work with 1.5" diameter branches and down with ease. Has a gear reduction so it’s a bit more mechanically easy. Just processed about 20lbs of limbs to test it out, stopping when they got smaller than my pinky. Gonna sort the small stuff out for the generator’s gasifier. Way less sweating than cutting logs and using the hatchet, in fact I didn’t even break a sweat :joy:.

I’ll need to hunt for one that can cut bigger diameter branches. Flash001USA made this system a long time ago for his setup.

Edit: I definitely need to make a ramp or something so the wood will tumble into a bucket. Didn’t enjoy having to pick up pieces off the ground when it missed my bucket.

6 Likes

Got Wood :blush:

13 Likes

That is a beautiful sight. All the hay in the barn and a big pile of wood to chunk up for more fuel for the gasifiers. Oh ya you are lookin pretty good too Wayne.
Bob

5 Likes

That’s right Wayne. Lot’s of fun. No need to be bored by the TV.
Unfortunately we have lousy drying weather this time of year. Even if it’s not raining everything is dripping wet until noon.
Stored dry chunks will have to do for fuel until next summer :grin:

8 Likes