Wood supply

Going to flesh this out a bit more. Found that Fiskars sells a geared lopper that cuts up to 2", which I think is the perfect size for billets of wood. The little loppers can go back to harvesting branches.

This, and a little ramp screwed to the saw horse to aim the chunks into a bucket I think will be a good little backup setup.

1 Like

Nifty lopping shears, but a really wide swing of the handles. If I’m understanding his comment, he suggests sharpening on the flat (non-bevel) side of the blade. That’s probably not a good idea with bypass cutters. Unless you’re flat-lapping to restore a blade someone sharpened on the flat side :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh I’m not going to modify the shears.

Got it after work and it’s pretty good once it’s strapped down to a sawhorse.

I’m lopping 2" dry coppiced trees, it’ll do better with fresh stuff I think.

1 Like

Might sound stupid but what do you think about a small electric motor something real low rpm with a eccentric and a connecting rod to power the handle so you just feed material? Uber low buck but still faster then man powering the loppers

3 Likes

Might work, I think CNCMACHININGISFUN has a setup like that, but he’s using it to split the grain of 2x4 blocks. With 2" wood it’s taking a bit of work but I’ve only tried dry branches.

I could use a Scotch Yoke or something on a big flywheel if I had one.

Edit: I misremembered, CNC uses a homemade slicer for the blocks, rotary style.

I’m not giving up on the disc chunker this is just a standby and a way I can help friends get into gasification.

4 Likes

Today wife and I took down a few little cull trees . They
are not fit for anything except burning and that is what I plan on doing :grinning:

14 Likes

Thats a fast chunker, will it chunk any green hard wood or just soft wood and what the biggest wood it cuts THANKS for posting, thats a much faster method than are one at a time chunkers, And what type of chunkers are these called, can they be bought, or cheaper and stronger too build my own, THANKS.

1 Like

It’s called a rebak, and there’s a company in the US that sells them but I think the biggest pieces they can cut here is about 2" diameter.

OK thanks, the vidio looked more like 3" branches, maybe he found a heavier duty one. Looks like worth makeing one for branch chunk time savings, when time permits.

1 Like

JO made his own, I think he has a post about it somewhere.

They definitely are made for chomping green wood.

1 Like

OK thanks cody ,i will have too check with him later,about the exact design details.

1 Like

JO´s Rebak Chunker have fun reading, I have been through his build several times now, just trying to not get distracted from my own builds before I jump into another one like his :grinning:

6 Likes

Here you go Kevin. Plenty rebaks on Youtube, but this one shows in detail without guards and stuff.

6 Likes

Just another random load of wood. No 11 this fall. Another half a dussin loads to go before snow.
About a gallon saved for each load keeping the Fergie parked.

Edit: Not to mention gym ticket savings :smile:

11 Likes

Wayne is that sweet gum?
ive got about 3 dump truck loads of sweet gum firewood logs that need processed.

5 Likes

Hey Jakob .

Might be a piece or two sweet gum . I don’t like it because it is so hard to split .

6 Likes

Just a thought that might help , if you look or come across plastic recycling machines they can easily be used for this type of work , search granulators or pelletiser’s the bases for these machines could easily be converted i think .

I like the simplicity of this one ,

Dave

10 Likes

Jakob,
You have my sympathies. I’m sure you have better processing equipment than I have. I thanked the guy from my church who gave me a trailer load of sweet gum a few years ago. After I finished splitting it, I was thinking, “Don’t do me any more favors.” It actually burns very well. I started making charcoal in my stove like Dave and Brian do while burning that sweet gum, and I’m currently using that in the Toyota. Sweet gum makes good charcoal.

12 Likes

no you probably have better equipment than I. I have a chainsaw and a splitting maul. although most of this is small enough to not need split.

6 Likes

A friend gave me this saw. Said the vibrations hurt his wrists. I adjusted the mixture screws so it runs good. It cuts good. I didn’t ask a lot of questions. You don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, you know. My only experience was with a Stihl 240, back in the 1970s. Is there anything I should know about this saw?

7 Likes