Wood supply

Impressive work Wayne. Do these pictures mean that even in Alabama, the harvesting of chunks holds off until spring time?

Hello Joseph,

If this wood was in sacks and dry I could give some estimate of work or energy it might contain . It is not but I will give a WAG ( wild ass guess ) . The pile is 12 foot wide , 34 foot long and near 4 foot deep in places . I think the dry weight would be between five and ten thousand pounds . My dakota on the open road will get 1.3 mpp ( miles per pound ) 7,500 . X 1.3 = 9,750 miles .

The above mileage could be dropped to half if short trips or stop and go traffic. A better way to look at the pile is there could be between 300 and 600 gallons of gasoline in it.

Hey Doug.

Winter is fine for chunking . Also I have enough wood dried , bagged and stored to last out the winter . The reason for this chunking is I had some pine saw logs laying out for over a year now and haven’t sawed . I think if I sawed them now I would have to slab off too much wood to get decent lumber and I really don’t need lumber right now . I was tiring to salvage the wood before it was to late .

“Make dry fuelwood while the sun shines”
My this years pile is 6 foot tall X 24 foot deep X 1.5 foot (18") per row wide.
648 cubic feet there. ~5.0 cords (18.1 M3). THIS older Doug Fir at ~15% sun dried moisture is ~2400 pounds per cord.
I always figure an effective useable 5000 btu’s per pound. Makes this 60,000,000 btu’s of heat potential.
~550 gallons of liquid Dino equivalent.
One house for a 250 day heating season here.
Just as much out tarped up yet to bring in.
DRY wood is fuel Gold to be husbanded and protected.

Hey Mr Wayne I see a newer, faster log splitter there!
Regards
Steve Unruh

I don’t need the wood right now but I got it anyway.

I was trying to get some dead trees out of the woods before wet weather sets in. I pulled one log all the way to my chunker and chunked some before I realized it was to far gone and discarded it.

The load on the trailer is just one tree . It measured 24 inches at the butt and is 8 inch diameter at 90 foot where it broke off. . I wouldn’t want to guess the miles it has in it but there will be many !!

I also noticed three more pines near this one and near the same size that are dead or dying

Not enough hours in the day! .

I mean a big tree, not a big story. I’m not sure Ark can grow them that tall.

A lot of work. A lot of miles and heat for the house. Can’t say I blame Lisa for taking a break to play with the dog
Tomw

Winter is coming soon , I sure have Got alot of Splitting to Do …

Don’t know how that happened. Picture was supposed ta be of wood pile. Instead mistakenly got pic of some scrap pipe I picked up for chimney pipe . Thick wall stuff would make good burn tube. How do I upload two or three pics at once. ?

Brian,

Just select multiple pictures in the file window when uploading. Or, once one pic has uploaded you can click “choose files” again, and add another one.

Here is a picture of the wood pile after adding the last tree that was on the trailer .

I like how you have fuel holding up your fuel on the sides. It seems like a corn crib could be a good storage container for all those chunks. Marvin W had a good idea about an old gravity trailer too.
Nice pile of wood. Sure looks like it took a lot of work to make that.

gitting a nice pile before winter.Nice out side working weather finally for you southern folks.

of where the chunker “throws” it up in a neat pile to dry.

Carl…Lisa could probably set you straight on that…Lol

its sad but that’s a dream of mine to see a pile of that magnitude wow maybe I need to quit slothing around or something. wayne your whole family must be kicking but

Thanks

If there were more wood powered vehicles here local Lisa could open up a filling station :slight_smile: Also a rebate or discount if you dump the char/ash in the pasture or garden .

Hi Mr. Wayne, thanks for the picture of the wood pile. It takes a lot of wood and work to keep a gasifier running but it is well worth it.

Wood bagging .

That is an easy transfer, and Lisa doesn’t seem to have big arm muscles to handle them. Julie, my wife could agree to doing that. A few weeks ago I spotted orange web poly bags for sale over in Hudsonville (10 miles away) but there was no company name on the building (after hours). My employer is overtime demanding again, so I found a solution. Entice Don M. to fetch for the both of us. We now have tons of 10 cents a bag supertanker volume. But Wayne, there’s a gap in your vast library of how to videos. How about from the ground to the trailer?

I seen a tractor and loader in some of Wayne’s pics.