Wood supply

Hey Tom, I just don’t see dirt, rocks, foot long sticks and such on that trailer, so there’s some filtering process or a bunch of chunks left on the ground by the chunker.

Big as Wayne’s pile is he can just skim the top for the next year and not get down where the nasties are. : *)

Hey Doug .

Here the missing video you were asking about .

I think I mispronounced your name again !!

Thanks, Wayne. I have so many of your videos stored that I’ll have to create categories to sort them out. Looks like I’ll be bolting several sheets of corrugated or pole barn metal together and riding my 2 wheel chunker right over it. Looks like I’m going to have to retrain your son on my last name :slight_smile:

Did some one say “chunkier”? I don’t recall hearing about your “two wheeled chunkier”. Mr. Wayne, I have always understood you to say you took the stickers from the saw mill and chunked them and then, dried the chunks. When you were shoveling, the wood “rattled” like dry wood. As you know I have been chunking very dry oak and it shatters badly. I like the looks of you “chunks”. I like the product that Hartman is getting and I have sawed cow patties and give them the ax. But that is soooo slooow. I’m still looking for something that produces a good product with minimal effort.TomC

Hello brother Tom,

At one time I was doing a lot of saw milling but in the last year I have gotten so fare behind with other projects that I had to turn down most sawing jobs. With the sawmill waste I was using the stickers and slabs for gasifier fuel but this last year I have mostly used trees that are dying on my place .

The wood you saw us shoveling today was chunked Oct 28 and was wet enough it would squirt water in my face . The pile is outside in the weather but we haven’t had but a couple of small rains in that time span. Because of the smaller fire tube on my tractor I have started making the fuel a little smaller and seems to work well in trucks and the tractor.

I think the wood we shoveled on the trailer today would be OK to sack but to be on the safe side I will spread a portion of the wood out 4-5 inches deep and give it another day on the trailer, sack it and spread more of the pile and repeat .

Here you go Tom. My wood comes pre cut in lengths from 1" to 30". I made this as a patty whacker. I have split up to 16" and about the same diameter with it. This pic was in the experimental stages and the wedge, weight and handle have been changed. I also have a movable mount to move the fulcrum (spring mounting position]not yet installed. It is not a replacement for a hydraulic wood splitter on the knotty stuff but splits gasifier size patties and straight grained woods fast with no fuel and very little effort from a sitting position. Very quiet as well, use indoors or out. I can not take credit for the design. I seen a few on U tube. I think one was titled amazing wood splitter. I Used half an old tractor loader I had in the scrap pile to build mine from…

That’s a whole lot of fuel there Jim. Is that about a ‘69’ pulling that trailer?

Yes sir it is. I have hauled in well over 100 tons of cheery with it this summer. It is my summer work truck and will run on wood someday Anyone passing through dow is welcome to fuel for there journey just call ahead and i’ll get some ready 715 520 7262

What city are you in Jim?

Near Spooner and Hayward WI.

More dead trees and my wood pile is big enough and growing .

I hauled in two loads this afternoon .

Now that some hauling power! On wood, nonetheless…

Is it your wood pile or your oil reserve? At $3.00 a pound you can never have to much.

Hello Troy.

I used the V-10 heavy on wood over the week end and yesterday but the hauling today was just across the field from the house and wood pile . Had no other plans to drive more so I used gasoline . There are some situations that doesn’t justify firing the gasifier and today was one. It would have had no problem pulling this load on wood especily at slow speeds across the field.

Hey Jim ,

I don’t know about the $3 a pound but about five pounds of it to replace gasoline would be worth about a buck .

Jim I also thought about you , Bill, Mike , Tom and others up your way while working today . I was wearing a thin shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a straw hat. Even was able to sweat a little . Wife had doors and windows open at the house .

Thanks for the correction on the value Wayne I didn’t think that all the way thru. I for one got caught with my pants down. After spending Sunday in the shop chopping up snow blowers, I learned of the storm from Bill. We got about 12"-14 here. I was also able to sweat a little here to. I had a hold of a snow shovel.

I’m sure you had more layers on than Wayne when you were working up a sweat Jim.
By the way, your picture looks like you may have some potential heat exchanger parts there.

The ole wood chunker has really been doing it’s thing the last few days .

BBB

Very nice Wayne. I hope to have the means for that too.
My kids went up north to the property today and sent me a couple of pictures. The tree are pretty young but plenty.The wife and I plan on going up there tomorrow.

Them are some pretty big hills for MN and not along the river aren’t they Bill? Is that an old mine sight? I sure would like to find a larger chunk of dirt. How far north is that?