Wood supply

A lot of that wood looks ready to chunk.

Thanks Jim and Carl.
Jim, it’s about a half hour north of Two Harbors, just West of Beaver Bay. No, no rivers near by. It was Potlatch land.
Yes Carl, It contains the formula I desire. Just need to keep up with my homework here on DOW.

Wayne…all I can say is there has to be more hours in a day in Alabama than there is in Kansas. I’m sure all of us here can appreciate the amount of work you and your family seem to be able to accomplish. Thanks for the video.

Gary

Bill…glad you found you a place to fulfill your dreams. Hope they all come true for you my friend. I can’t imagine finding land any cheaper than that either, good find. Is your friends piece he bought next to yours? Also I got ahold of the guy with the generator I was telling you about a few days ago, and he actually found a motor and got it fixed.

Gary

Thanks Gary,
My wife and I went to the property today. We just got back home. This is the first time either of us have seen it. I have to say I am more than pleased. We didn’t stay too long because the temps were hoovering at 0 degrees and was windy. We brought the atv with us and drove around a bit. The trees are so dense that we couldn’t go in very far. Like Carl said, a lot of them are good chunking size. I will have a whole lot of fuel just cutting a trail into there. I am more excited today then I was when we won the bid. Most of it is high ground.
The two parcels are side of each other. It has not been determined if we are going to each have one or both build something on one and leave the other one alone or each claim a parcel. Both of us are easy to work with so it’s a non-issue.

I like the looks of that saw carl. Looks a lot like something I would build.

I met a guy that owns a tree trimming company yesterday. We were talking nest to a Maple tree he just cut up. The trees was about 3’ in diameter. I asked him if he would be willing to save any branches for me down to 2" in diameter. He told me I can have as much as I want. Now I have a reliable source near my home here. I can’t build this truck fast enough.

Wayne: I am fairly sure your mill is far ahead in efficiency and speed, but I am sorry to admit that this unit might have your mill beat in “coolness factor”.

Good morning Brian.

Thanks for the video , I had to watch it a couple of times . Yes that is cool :slight_smile:

The fellow doing the off bearing would get to take a long break but have to work double time as soon as a plank was sawed , :slight_smile:

I could chunk wood without a gear box with that big of a pully

No quarter sawing on that mill. Wayne do you have a way to quarter saw on a band mill that I haven’t figured out. Sawing in thirds then standing up and flat sawing is the best I have with the size material I generally run. I mostly flat saw rustic siding and mantel pieces. Rustic is the theme around here. I need to get a kiln built then I could saw some flooring and cabinet stock . It seems around here nobody even wants clear lumber like we get from the cores from the veneer plants. We saw it into fuel.

Hello Jim .

It looks like the grain may line up in the three center boards for a portion to be considered quarter sawn .

Lot of waste with quarter sawing and I try no to do any .

But I guess if we do quarter saw we have a place for the waste wood also :slight_smile: SWEM

That is why Rustic is my theme, live edges and even the slabs end up siding or fencing. No waist.

You might have seen them already, but I can´t resist charing.

Thank you for posting. I believe most of us have seen this type of chunkier on You Tube. I haven’t seen the two you posted which were very interesting. The first was a small portable machine which I liked and it seem to make perfect size chunks for me. The second was interesting from the stand point that the chunks were large in diameter and length. It must have had some big cutting drums inside.

My bro-in=law gave me a bundle of stickers with no slabs in it. I picked it up right away before something or someone got them. I have been driving around with them in the back of the truck for a week. I couldn’t get back to the barn/shop with all the snow and besides it added weight to my 2 wd truck. Yesterday my renter came in and plowed me out. Then we had 24 hours of 35 mph winds, that when you looked out across the field it looked like a wind storm in a desert. Any way the renter came back to plow it out again. I think I better take the truck and stickers down to the shop and unload them. I plan on chunking them right in the barn. My question is; " will wood freeze dry"???

I think it will “freeze wet” Tom.

Look at that small elc motor and pulleys, we all know what kind of power it takes to chunk what looks like 2&1/2 inch limbs!

don’t trust the moisture meter when the wood is frozen it reads lower than it is .
ive only been taking a final reading after warmed up then I through it in the bin if good no problems running this way so for tom. and it sounds like your looking out my door I see lots of lumps pretty sure there cars there.

Got about 5 gallon of fine char useing reg, sceen size after rescreening 15 gallon of my saved ash,was suprised too get that many gallons out of 15 ash. on 3rd of my ash was enough too go curbing if had the mini bike running on charco/wood,or mix with truck char if needed.

those chunkers were awesome… I’d like to see what’s inside them